Rare s212 e500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
These really are very rare! I’ve owned one for approaching 4 years and have only seen 6 others come up for sale since then (7 now!). So that’s 8 in total, of which half were bought and are owned by forum members.

This one doesn’t have a very full spec in my view, not many extras added. For a well-spec’d one, take a look at londonscottish’s Tanzanite Blue one.

Thanks SW but I'm pretty sure your one wins the spec wars. Other than the fact that yours is a Sport I seem to recall that you have the Pano & DAB....

I think the 500 vs AMG V8 thing has been done a few times before, but as said they’re only rare because not many people wanted them not because they were limited in production or availability etc. Add to that a very ‘niche’ colour and the market for such a car is surely going to be pretty small despite the low mileage.

Yes the brakes on a ‘63 cost a bit more to replace but how often do you change them? Not often is the answer for low mileage cars like these two (this 500 and the brown ‘63 posted up recently!) :)

Spec wise one of the great advantages of buying an AMG model over the regular models is they tend to have a much higher standard level of spec and often have plenty of options ticked too. For example, panoramic roof, memory seats, COMAND - all expensive cost options on the E500 but come as standard on the ‘63 :cool:

And let’s face it, most of the running costs are going to be broadly similar - fuel, servicing, road tax (£570 per year) etc.

The two faults my S212 has had over the last year would have affected and cost an E500 (and it’s owner) just as much to repair (a pair of rear airbags and a new ILS headlamp), and the servicing costs at MB are going to be pretty much the same for either.

Don’t get me wrong I can see the appeal of a clean/well specced 500 estate but for me the price would have to reflect that.

If it were nearer £10k than £20k I can definitely see the appeal of this over say a more common V6 diesel E class estate but I don’t think you can overlook the fact that it’s priced up in AMG territory really, but with lower spec and lower performance - but pretty much all the running costs.

This is why they didn’t sell many of these IMHO.

If it were a seven-seater I think it would be snapped up, but as it is, I think the price is on the high side. However, plenty of people value low mileage pretty highly, and I suspect it won't be around for very long.

If you’re waiting patiently for a seven seater E500 (or E63) you’re going to be waiting a very long time. They didn’t make any :D

I think the 500 vs AMG V8 thing has been done a few times before, but as said they’re only rare because not many people wanted them not because they were limited in production or availability etc. Add to that a very ‘niche’ colour and the market for such a car is surely going to be pretty small despite the low mileage.

Yes the brakes on a ‘63 cost a bit more to replace but how often do you change them? Not often is the answer for low mileage cars like these two (this 500 and the brown ‘63 posted up recently!) :)

Spec wise one of the great advantages of buying an AMG model over the regular models is they tend to have a much higher standard level of spec and often have plenty of options ticked too. For example, panoramic roof, memory seats, COMAND - all expensive cost options on the E500 but come as standard on the ‘63 :cool:

And let’s face it, most of the running costs are going to be broadly similar - fuel, servicing, road tax (£570 per year) etc.

The two faults my S212 has had over the last year would have affected and cost an E500 (and it’s owner) just as much to repair (a pair of rear airbags and a new ILS headlamp), and the servicing costs at MB are going to be pretty much the same for either.

Don’t get me wrong I can see the appeal of a clean/well specced 500 estate but for me the price would have to reflect that.

If it were nearer £10k than £20k I can definitely see the appeal of this over say a more common V6 diesel E class estate but I don’t think you can overlook the fact that it’s priced up in AMG territory really, but with lower spec and lower performance - but pretty much all the running costs.

This is why they didn’t sell many of these IMHO.

I'd agree with a lot of that but don't forget the draconian efforts to force company car buyers into diesels 10 years ago. The financials forced people who might have really wanted a 350 of 500 petrol into CDI's. Its why i dropped out of the company car scheme in the first place and tons of my mates baled for the same reason.

I think AMG buyers fall into a different demographic. It's more of a money no object purchase.

I think E500s were about £50k before options, the E63 was nearer £75k but when you consider the standard spec of both it wouldn’t take too many options on a 500 to begin to close the gap. You can do £10/20k in options on these cars quite easily when you start ticking boxes!

Pano roof, COMAND and memory seats are almost £5k to spec on a 500 but as mentioned were standard on the ‘63 :cool:

Both the 500 and ‘63 are indulgent purchases (as let’s be honest even a 220 diesel does the job, gets you from A-B in comfort/safety) but when you’re buying used they both offer tremendous value for money in terms of spec and performance which has always been a large part of the appeal for me :thumb:

You’re correct about the buying trends of diesel/petrol models but I guess that’s applied to many cars over the last few years. The positive effect of people having been put off by large petrol engined cars in the past has let us enthusiasts sample some great cars at nice prices when buying used :)

If you’re waiting patiently for a seven seater E500 (or E63) you’re going to be waiting a very long time. They didn’t make any :D

If it were a seven-seater it would definitely be snapped up, then....:D:D

I found this a while ago when I was looking into this myself fairly recently:

3rd row retrofit in AMG wagon? done. - MBWorld.org Forums

It’s definitely doable and something I have thought about.

Only struggle is locating the parts at a financially viable cost.

Guy over in the US reckoned it was about $5000 for the parts to retrofit (plus labour if required).

There’s not a lot of 212 7-seaters out there of any kind (and obviously no E500/63 ones!) hence used 7 seat kits/parts are pretty thin on the ground compared to previous E-class wagons (it has always been quite a popular option over the years on each incarnation since the 123!)

Fortunately I have managed to source a full 7-seat kit for the 212 estate, in black leather with all the fixings/belts/trim etc. Just need to decide if I want to fit them into my E63 or not. I will need to decide at some point soon though, needs must...! ;) :D

One downside of the E-class 7-seat option is that you can only have it as a 5 or 7 seater as the rear seat is fixed as a pair and folds away. If you just want one extra seat in say a GL or many other 7 seat vehicles you can have one stowed away and keep 6 up, leaving a little more room for luggage.

Hmm...:)

Does anyone know why they didn’t? I’m sure the S211 was available with 7 seats even in the 500 and the 55/63. Why didn’t this get offered on the S212 petrols? I’m just curious really: I like mine not having the seats in the boot. The space for them contains almost 200 litres of storage under the floor which I make much use of on camping trips when the car is loaded to the max.

There's lots of 7 seat e55 s211 out there, well relatively. They are very useful...

I think E500s were about £50k before options, the E63 was nearer £75k but when you consider the standard spec of both it wouldn’t take too many options on a 500 to begin to close the gap. You can do £10/20k in options on these cars quite easily when you start ticking boxes!

Pano roof, COMAND and memory seats are almost £5k to spec on a 500 but as mentioned were standard on the ‘63 :cool:

Both the 500 and ‘63 are indulgent purchases (as let’s be honest even a 220 diesel does the job, gets you from A-B in comfort/safety) but when you’re buying used they both offer tremendous value for money in terms of spec and performance which has always been a large part of the appeal for me :thumb:

You’re correct about the buying trends of diesel/petrol models but I guess that’s applied to many cars over the last few years. The positive effect of people having been put off by large petrol engined cars in the past has let us enthusiasts sample some great cars at nice prices when buying used :)

Just checked the original invoice for mine, which came to me with the car. The base price was indeed almost exactly £50k including the £500 charge for delivery. Then the options cost just under another £10k (Comand, Luxury Pack, pan roof, nappa leather, memory package, garage door opener, factory folding tow bar, TPMS, rear airbags, metallic paint). Then £1k for first year’s tax, to reach just under £61k all-in. Ouch! But indeed great value as a second hand purchase...

I read it was something todo with the fact the v8s larger rear silencers eat into the boot space. But the link shows it is doable. It’s something I’d do if I ever did get a s212

Thinking of selling my 2010 e500 Coupe if anyone is interested.
Details to follow shortly in sales section.

Why are 7 seaters so popular?

I’ve got the folding rear seats in my S350 S211, which have clearly never been used, and which won’t get used during my ownership

I look at them as impractical, awkward to access, and only suitable for rug rats between... maybe 3-9 years old. In a world where so many own two, or more, cars, the benefit seems limited.

What am I missing?

dc49d540f5a67bfde50602de7ca48f99.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got the folding rear seats in my S350 S211, which have clearly never been used, and which won’t get used during my ownership

I look at them as impractical, awkward to access, and only suitable for rug rats between... maybe 3-9 years old. In a world where so many own two, or more, cars, the benefit seems limited.

What am I missing?

dc49d540f5a67bfde50602de7ca48f99.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good question. Raising a little one at the moment and moving from baby car seat to next one up I’d be amazed if small children could legally sit in those rearmost seats as the child seats and boosters etc probably wouldn’t fit there.

Im always using mine, as far as loosing boot space thats what the cargo box is for behind the seats.

Thinking of selling my 2010 e500 Coupe if anyone is interested.
Details to follow shortly in sales section.
Will have a look when ad is posted

What am I missing?

Nice car. When I bought my 7 seater my kids were 5 and 7 and when I sold it they were 10 and 12. I used them all the time. They were useful when some of their cousins were in town of when I was ferrying my kids plus some of their mates around. Or when there was a kid's party on somewhere. Or when we were holidaying with another family. etc etc

The 12 year old would still fit in them although the yr old is now my height so he's really too big now (although I did on occassion have a full size adult in there for a short trip).

If you'r in the market for 7 seats there aren't a lot of options. On of my rellies had VW Tiguan, another one had small-ish Peugeot estate. I know which one I'd rather have.

Just checked the original invoice for mine, which came to me with the car. The base price was indeed almost exactly £50k including the £500 charge for delivery. Then the options cost just under another £10k (Comand, Luxury Pack, pan roof, nappa leather, memory package, garage door opener, factory folding tow bar, TPMS, rear airbags, metallic paint). Then £1k for first year’s tax, to reach just under £61k all-in. Ouch! But indeed great value as a second hand purchase...

I don't have the original invoice for mine but the owner paid for; Tanzanite Blue Metallic, Pale Grey Perforated Leather, White Rooflining, Wood/Leather Steering Wheel, Privacy Glass, COMAND, MMI, Cooled Seats, Driving Assist Pack (inc Distronic, Blind Spot Assist & Lane Assist), Night View Assist, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Reversing Camera & Telephone Pre Wire.

Maybe these guys just like something fast but subtle. You could argue the 5.5's are quite close in spirit to the W211 E55's. Big, n/a engine, mid-high 300bhp outputs, subtle or no external clues.

You could argue the 5.5's are quite close in spirit to the W211 E55's. Big, n/a engine, mid-high 300bhp outputs, subtle or no external clues.

You mean the W210 E55, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom