Rare Youngtimer AMGs & Sportline steering upgrade for my 124 Coupe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercboiuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
1995 E320 Coupe
PART 1: A RARE AMG OR TWO

Below is where I tell you about picking up my Coupe from my Indy. But first, I thought I would share something I thought you would all appreciate.
I little while ago an R120 SL600 AMG was discussed in the "Spotted on Ebay" section.
It was an aqua-green-blue kind of colour and wore a facelift AMG bodykit and multi-spoke AMG alloys from the later SL55.
Well, this very car was sitting in the yard at my Indy! I chatted with the mechanic who told me a local chap bought it blind from Ebay and hasn't yet seen the car, due to working abroad!
Now the interesting bit....
My Indy checked out the car with Mercedes only to kind it is a GENUINE AMG car, having the suspension and bodykit fitted when new. It also received the most basic of AMG tuning, whereby the lightly modified the existing 6 litre V12 engine to offer around 420bhp.
Of course, I had to snap a few photos before I left ;)
IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

The following day, I was driving to a pub in rural Suffolk.
I entered this tiny village and noticed a 124 estate parked on the side of the road.
"That looks good", I think. "It has 17" AMG wheels.
As I drive past I look in mirror and notice and AMG badge then spy two numbers, rather than the usual three. Well I had to stop to investigate :eek:
I saw it was indeed on of the 7 RHD E36 estates! It was well equipped with full electric leather heated seats and climate control and it had over 192,000 miles on the clock! It's the first E36 estate I've seen. Such a privilage for an MB nerd....I mean nut ;)

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

Darren

PART 2: THE UPGRADES
After around four and a half months away, I picked up my 124 Coupe form my Indy on Saturday morning.
To say I've missed the old girl would be an understatement! As I was in no hurry for the car, my Indy worked on her in between other jobs resulting in free storage over winter, which worked out rather nicely!
Anyway, she was going in for an her annual service, received an MOT and a host of other items.
The main thing for me however, was the restoration of my steering box, which had become very loose. Noticing the Indy was breaking a Sportline 124 saloon, I inquired about the purchase and refurb of this item as opposed to just refurbishing my standard box.
So this is the route I took, and at the same time I decided I would the saloon's Sportline anti roll bar, too.

These upgrades have completely transformed the car's handling. The steering actually has some level of feel. OK, it's as much feel as a recirculating ball setup can give, but the change astonishing. Turn in is alot sharper and I feel more confidence in the car's ability to take on a twisting road.
I had some worn rear suspension arms and worn engine mounts replaced, and the anti roll bar received new bushes before it was installed. All this certainly helps, too!
Because of these upgrades, I will wait to upgrade my suspension, maybe going for E36 AMG springs with my current Sportline shocks.
But for the moment I'm enjoying the fact that these old 124 buses really can handle, given a little TLC
Today I gave her a full Spring clean, and applying a couple of coats of wax.
DSCN9492.jpg

Now time to go pillarless....
DSCN9493.jpg

DSCN9494.jpg

DSCN9499.jpg

Shiney Reflections:
DSCN9505.jpg

DSCN9495.jpg

Current Mileage:
DSCN9503.jpg

Engine's still wearing well:
DSCN9501.jpg

As is the interior:
DSCN9504.jpg

The Sportline modifications mostly hidden:
DSCN9491.jpg

Darren

Last edited:
You can't go far wrong with a nice C124. They really are utterly timeless IMH(unbiased)O ;)

Darren:What interior did the saloon he was breaking have??

The coupe`s looking sweet but just in case you did not notice,you`re missing the tow cover :D

Your coupe is looking sweet! That's a Carat kit right? I'm not usually a fan, but your is looking good!

Also that sl looks the might fine.

Is that Nav's old SL600 (KLP 92) - note the retrofitted Xenons and facelift mirrors ;)

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone :)

A few questions for me to answer so here goes:

Sbryantgb: AFAIK it was a straight swap. Although it was quite a big job in terms of labour. The donor item had covered similar mileage to mine, hence I went for a refurb, so it hopefully won't have to be taken out in a hurry!

d_w124: The saloon actually had the proper Sportline interior, with the 4 seat set up, Sportline steering wheel and leather gear knob. The car has gone to the scrap heap in the sky, although I don't know if the interior was saved.
The tow hook cover has been missing since I've owned the car, and it's usually missing from the cars I have seen around and about. I did once get hold of one, but after painting and fitting I hit a rabbit and it fell out somewhere....I never found it and attempts to buy another haven't been successful! (I've resorted to offering people silly money for their cover, which is how I got the first one!)
Oh, and thanks for the link. I remember seeing that thread, but didn't put two and two together! :eek:

SHAKTER: It is indeed the Carat kit :D

I think that answers everything!

Darren

Is there a chance you could ask for the interior please?I know you`re missing the tow cover,was only messing

Is there a chance you could ask for the interior please? I know you`re missing the tow cover,was only messing

Yup, I'll give them ask them later today.
Don't worry, I knew you joking :)

Darren

Very nice - don't see many of those around!

Love the tacho in the C36 estate - 192k miles. Probably just about run in! :D

K

Very nice - don't see many of those around!

Love the tacho in the C36 estate - 192k miles. Probably just about run in! :D

K

Pah that's nothing. Mine has 270k miles on the clock!

Mind you it is having some significant work done at the moment to ensure it remains on the road.

Pah that's nothing. Mine has 270k miles on the clock!

Mind you it is having some significant work done at the moment to ensure it remains on the road.

What,your C36 estate :D

I like all three cars by the OP, the coupe looks great nice colour combo too. Nice to see the E36 knocking on the door of 200k, at least I can expect another 100k outa my motor....if the body work holds out but it's done ok in the first 100k miles so bally crossed fingers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom