Raspy exshaust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stwat

MB Enthusiast
Car
1989 W126 300 SE
My 190e seems to rasp from the exhaust. I think its upfront somewhere. Tbh i dont mind the sound(quite sporty) and i've heard quite a few c class do the same.

The question is, is it normal or is it blowing somewhere?

Thanks, Stu :)

Mine rasps at 2500rpm now. Didn't when I got the car.

Thing to do is put your hand over the end of the exhaust when its idling and see if the idle drops and if there is lots of back pressure. I know on the 2.6 with a working exhaust its very hard to hold the back closed - lots and lots of pressure.

I knew i could count on you Robby ;)

I just went out and did the hand over the exhaust test(with wrag) and i couldnt keep my hand on it!!! It kept blowing it off!!! And i couldnt here a leak anywhere. So i supose il just live with it :) As i said before, i dont mind the sound and as long as i know it aint leaking thats ok with me :)

Cheers. Stu :)

Stwat, my 1994 C180 has this same problem and it is a lower powered engine. The muffler collapsed 2 years ago and I had 90% new OEMs fitted except for the Cat which is Aussie cos the German one was too expensive. It makes a rumbling sound, and I am disappointed. When going uphill, no power and the kickdown is needed. It then makes more sound like a speedboat. On idle, the exhaust is not as quiet as Japanese or BMW cars. My other 1997 C180 is lots more quiet possibly with the improved engine and injection setup. Possibly the exhaust was also redesigned? This one only makes a bit of rumbling noise when in gear and at idle, foot on the brake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom