Rating our abilities

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martyz

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
ClK 209,190E 201,SLK 170(gone) audi tt vr6 3.2
Just a thought that might help us when asking for help or opinions.rather like the
Haynes manual,of which I personally don't,the readers skill level can be rated from novice to competent home mechanic,this is indicated by a score of 1-5
spanners in graphic form.The same could apply to Bodywork,Detailing,auto electrics and be shown against our user status,naturally this would be a self assessment.

If you are suggesting a self rating system then like most appraisal systems, they are deeply flawed and should be avoided at all costs. (*take note any employer out there doing self appraisals)

The more you know on a topic, the more you understand its intricacies and therefore the less highly you'll rate your skills. The less you know, the more think you understand things and the higher a self rating you'll provide.

Last edited:
then perhaps the mods could rate regular useful technical assistance and award merits for this,or would that be too time intensive?. I take your points on self assessment entirely

I don't really get the point, but would like to suggest that you might prepare a questionnaire or checklist to aid in spanner-rating e.g. have you unaided changed oil = 1 spanner ... changed M272 balance shaft gear = 5 gold spanners :D

I once put petrol in a diesel, how many spanners am i?

I don't really get the point, but would like to suggest that you might prepare a questionnaire or checklist to aid in spanner-rating e.g. have you unaided changed oil = 1 spanner ... changed M272 balance shaft gear = 5 gold spanners :D

We have many members that ask questions that can involve replies that to some may involve terminology they won't understand,if an icon of some sort showed on their user name you can gauge your reply accordingly or point them to their local indy.Your idea is good,but again would involve honesty.:thumb:

If not spanners , some people are , at least , tools :)

If I had to rate myself , I suppose I'd be somewhere around 3 or 4 spanners : I have done lots of jobs myself ranging from simple oil changes to engine or gearbox swaps , brake overhauls including rebuilding cylinders , clutch changes , road spring replacement , subframe bushes just a few weeks back and then a fair few retrofit modifications like electric seats into my 280SE .

All the same there are still a few jobs I'd shy away from - usually because they would require equipment I don't have .

It isn't how good you are that you need to know - it's how bad you are.

SilverSaloon 5 spanners. Advice: there is a cap possibly labelled with the number 701 in your engine bay. Fill up with water here.

I have rated myself at 5 spanners - therefore my advice is good to act upon.

:doh:

you have to take whatever anyone says with a pinch of salt on the internet.

as an aside, i'd say i am 3 spanners out of 5

I've completely rebuilt old engines (including an XK Jag when I was 19) and only a couple of weeks ago replaced a Porsche wishbone, so I'm totally happy with mechanical things. But despite being a Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers for most of my working life, I don't do much more than changing bulbs and batteries on a modern car's electrics. I used to be able to happily design and construct anything from a logic gate to a microprocessor, but now I ain't tinkering with anyone elses devices without a big wad of info.

So I guess I'm just an old 3/4 inch Whitworth combination spanner. :eek:

SilverSaloon 5 spanners. Advice: there is a cap possibly labelled with the number 701 in your engine bay. Fill up with water here.

I have rated myself at 5 spanners - therefore my advice is good to act upon.

:doh:

you have to take whatever anyone says with a pinch of salt on the internet.

as an aside, i'd say i am 3 spanners out of 5

You didn't even get 710 right :D

You didn't even get 710 right :D

well done Wilson. Just waiting for the 1st one to spot that :D

OK, i'll downgrade myself to just 2 spanners.

I'll be in minus figures before long

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom