Rattle can fix

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davycc

Car
2001 W203 C320 Elegance
Guys my 2001 W203 has the usual rust spots wheel arches bottoms of the doors etc. I got the car cheap so paying hundreds of pounds for paint repair when I will be upgrading next year (pension matures) isn't an option. So I spent £40 on rattle can primer, base coat MB 744 and lacquer attacked the metal with a wire wheel and filled with P38.

I had a go at the spots around the 3rd brake light and the bottoms of the doors. I'm pretty happy with the boot but I will re-do the doors when I tackle other areas when weather/time permits as I didn't rub down enough, I've since learnt a trick using a cheap rattle can of black paint to show high/low spots.

Attachments

• 2017-05-06 15.59.35-2.jpg
    2017-05-06 15.59.35-2.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 2017-05-06 09.50.40.jpg
    2017-05-06 09.50.40.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 34
You chose the hardest colour to match/paint. Anything silver is difficult to get right. Looks like you have managed a pretty good job here. Well done you.

I always find that the hardest part for me, is resisting that one final waft of the paint, just after you think "that's a good job". It's like a devil on my shoulder, telling me "go on Bruce, just one more waft son, jobs a good un". That final waft immediately transforms a decent bit of painting into a massacre of dust, orange peel, runs, you name it? I will get it.

You chose the hardest colour to match/paint. Anything silver is difficult to get right. Looks like you have managed a pretty good job here. Well done you.

I always find that the hardest part for me, is resisting that one final waft of the paint, just after you think "that's a good job". It's like a devil on my shoulder, telling me "go on Bruce, just one more waft son, jobs a good un". That final waft immediately transforms a decent bit of painting into a massacre of dust, orange peel, runs, you name it? I will get it.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt :doh:

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt :doh:

Cheers Bruce I just struck lucky.

Yeah that happened on the front valance, it had obviously scraped a kerb or something and had been filled and primed but never painted. That's where I tested the colour match after filling sanding and priming again. Was sitting really nice with a few coats of lacquer on it and i decided one more coat wouldn't hurt.... well it fecking did, was too heavy handed and it ran like Usain Bolt :wallbash::wallbash:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom