Rattle can paint job CLS sill covers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

notsofast

Car
CLS320Cdi
My car used to daily commute some 20 miles along the local rural roads. The roads department re-chip these roads most summers and leave it for the traffic to pack down. A few years of this resulted with the sills looking very poor with damaged lacquer and no amount of cutting back was going to fix them. The underside just behind the front wheel had lost most of the colour altogether and was showing the base material. . . There was also a small vertical crack in the nearside cover where it returns into the rear wheel arch right on the vertical edge. I used a little glass mat and epoxy to reinforce it on the inside and a blob of filler on the outside which was perfect. My local paint shop wanted to paint the covers on the car but I figured I would give it a go with rattle cans as there is such a small surface showing.
Pretty happy with the result and not a great deal of work apart from trying to fix the covers back on to the upper sill clips for a few hours this morning before realising it is better to remove the clips from the sill and fix them to the cover before trying to fix the cover to the sill (Per garbage WIS procedure).
Just need to replace the chip protection plastic on the rear doors / lower wheel arches now.
SAM_7761_zpsnd5cafqp.jpg

Nice work, fair play for doing it yourself.

Well done, an excellent job!!

Saved yourself a small fortune as well I shouldn't wonder :thumb:

:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom