Rattle/creak from W221 dashboard unit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrisjfinlay

Car
s320 cdi (W221)
I've noticed recently, mainly down to the abysmal road surfaces on the Isle of Man, that my (pre-facelift) W221 has a bit of a rattle/creak coming from the dashboard unit. It seems to be the meeting point between the plastic of the actual unit where the cluster is and the leather section on top of it. It's only started recently - though I don't notice it when on my own because I tend to play my music quite loud - and it's quiet-ish, but persistent on rougher surfaces.

I figure it's just a case of tightening some screws to stop it, but I can't see any exposed screw heads (obviously, that wouldn't look very good...). So, how do I get the dash cover off to expose the screws?

Or could there be another way of approaching this?

(I've verified the cause of the rattle by pressing down on top of the dash unit firmly for a second, then when I release there's no rattle for a bit until it eventually settles back to where it was)

I got annoyed at it yesterday morning, hit the dash unit a whack... there was a loud click and suddenly the rattle is gone...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom