Rattle is driving me nuts!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adamgillett

Bought a 61 C63 estate in February just out of warranty. I noted a rattle in the boot area when I bought the car. It was bought from a non-MB dealer and had a full service by MB before purchase. The rattle sounds like the doors on a wardrobe rattling. It's mainly heard at low speed over rough roads. I thought I had isolated it when I noticed the boot trim was loose. I can't reproduce the sound without driving the car which makes isolating it difficult!
I'm genuinely quite shocked by how much a car of this value aged 3 yrs rattles. Would I have any joy pleading with my local MB dealer to try and locate the noise? I don't want a huge labour cost to rectify a problem that shouldn't exist, although I know this argument might fail!
I think I've been tipped in to doing something now there is also a rattle from the COMAND area!

Check the lock, both the male and female parts are properly tightened to the body of the car.

I had this once on a 202 estate, drove me bananas. Worth a check.

gbjeppm said:
Check the lock, both the male and female parts are properly tightened to the body of the car. I had this once on a 202 estate, drove me bananas. Worth a check.

I'll take a look. Thanks.

Check the heatshields attached to the underbody adjacent to the exhaust system.

Get someone to drive it while you sit/lie down in the boot area, that should help you narrow it down to where its coming from.

Empty the boot of everything and go for a drive , if the noise is still present then get someone else to drive so that you can pin point the noise.

Kenny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom