Rattle Issues - Possibly B Pillar / Seatbelt area

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ollyhughes1982

Car
CLA 180 Shooting Brake Premium Plus
Hi.

I had my new CLA 180 Shooting brake last Wednesday and from day one there has been a metallic sounding rattle / click coming from somewhere behind and to the right of me (at first I just thought it sounded like small pieces of grit hitting the wheel arches). It sounds like possibly the seatbelt / B pillar area, but not certain. It’s driving me nuts! If on a perfectly flat road it seems to stop, but any sort of bump or lump at all and it happens, and under braking. I find myself turning up the music just to try and block it out. I have tried replicating it by rocking / bouncing the car when ignition is off and stationery, but can’t get it to do it, which makes me think could be something electronic, but not sure what it could possibly be?

Two videos of the issue, below:

IMG_0791.MP4
IMG_0792.MP4

I have it booked in with my local dealer to be looked at, but they can't look at it until mid-October.

So frustrated. Already had to wait 5 months for the car and now have this issue and have to wait 5 weeks to get it looked at. Really wasn't expecting this from my first ever Merc, brand new as well

Any help appreciated!

Thanks.

Sounds like it could be the small ball-bearing inside the seatbelt which means the seatbelt still works when the car is upside down from a crash etc.

Other than that it's difficult without taking that area apart.

Either way, the dealer will have to resolve either replacing the seatbelt or finding what it is.

I can understand why that is frustrating though.

Sounds like it could be the small ball-bearing inside the seatbelt which means the seatbelt still works when the car is upside down from a crash etc.

Other than that it's difficult without taking that area apart.

Either way, the dealer will have to resolve either replacing the seatbelt or finding what it is.

I can understand why that is frustrating though.
Thanks. Will mention this to the dealer 👍🏻

I had the same noise on my S205 when new. Took several trips to garage despite my deduction that it was the seat belt reel. On one occasion when they said it was fixed the noise started within25 yards of the dealer. Took one of the techs out who agreed with my deduction. Service manager not happy to order a new belt in should it prove not to be the fault as he claimed that the dealership would have to foot the bill. I pressed the point and a few days later with a new seatbelt fitter problem solved and all ok 4 years on.
Feel your pain when you have a rattle on a new car. Hope you get it sorted and the dealer does not fob you off with adding felt pads etc to B trim in attempt to fix the problem.

Hi.

I had my new CLA 180 Shooting brake last Wednesday and from day one there has been a metallic sounding rattle / click coming from somewhere behind and to the right of me (at first I just thought it sounded like small pieces of grit hitting the wheel arches). It sounds like possibly the seatbelt / B pillar area, but not certain. It’s driving me nuts! If on a perfectly flat road it seems to stop, but any sort of bump or lump at all and it happens, and under braking. I find myself turning up the music just to try and block it out. I have tried replicating it by rocking / bouncing the car when ignition is off and stationery, but can’t get it to do it, which makes me think could be something electronic, but not sure what it could possibly be?

Two videos of the issue, below:

IMG_0791.MP4
IMG_0792.MP4

I have it booked in with my local dealer to be looked at, but they can't look at it until mid-October.

So frustrated. Already had to wait 5 months for the car and now have this issue and have to wait 5 weeks to get it looked at. Really wasn't expecting this from my first ever Merc, brand new as well

Any help appreciated!

Thanks.
Morning, appreciate this post is old but hoping you can help. I have the same issue, did you sort the problem? It’s driving me insane

Hi, new seatbelt fitted seven and a half years ago and all good since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom