Rattle noise at startup.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Maybe you could post a clip of what it sounds like now to give people a comparison now yours is all new people can see this thread and maybe compare their sound to yours

Maybe you could post a clip of what it sounds like now to give people a comparison now yours is all new people can see this thread and maybe compare their sound to yours
Yes good idea, I'll do a cold start in the morning.

Evening all, all done 🙂 it was indeed the timing chain, no more embarrassing startups.
Thanks all 100% point in the right direction 🙏
Hi,

Congrats on resolving the issue.
Can I ask you about your car ? I have two OM651 cars of a similar age so I definitely have a vested interest.
What mileage is on it?
What is the service history like?
Did you do the job yourself?

Others are associating it to stop/start and I have even heard of some saying that it was related to using engine braking.

Hi Steveq,

Mines a C250CDi estate
Mine was noticed at 90K, it has full history but the service intervals seem way to long to me, between 15 and 18K miles.. but all done according to Merc recommendations, by Merc.
I got mine done at an indy merc specilist, engine didnt need to come out. The cut and fed the new chain on and fitted a new tension. All genuine mer parts.

I think it doesnt affect all cars with the om651.

I am now changing the oil every 6 months or 6K which ever is soonest for peace of mind. The chain can be done DIY but you need the right kit and patience. Not a quick diy job that.

Injectors out, cam cover off to acces the chain at the back of the engine.

Whats your cars, mileage etc??

Wow 15 and 18k , terrible this LongLife BS interval , mines only ever done 12-13K maximum as intervals in it's early life and now gets lavished with better than 229.51 oil and silly mileage intervals .

Oil and filters cheap , engines expensive.

yeah exactly, I hate the service intervals.... hence I am doing it myself from now on.. :)

Hi,
My W204 C220 has 72,000 miles. I change the oil & filter annually but I am only doing about 6,000 miles p.a.
My S212 E220 has about 117,000 miles. I change the oil & filter annually. I am only doing about 8,000 miles p.a.

Both are late 2011 with stop/start which I leave on at all times. The W204 is manual which makes it much easier to control the stop/start operation.

Neither have any signs of cam chain rattle (touch wood).

The MB service intervals are 15,500 miles or annually. I guess that if the car is doing 15,500 miles p.a. there are a lot of long runs involved which is easier on engine wear and engine oil. I still wouldn't be happy leaving it that long.

I think given the mileage and your servicing, you shouldnt see any problems with chain wear, I am sure my long service intervals probably played a contibuting factor on mine.
I know the engine in mine is strong and tight as it used no oil (not even a tiny drop!) between servicing and certainly pulls like a train with no unusual noises etc...
So I intend to treat it very well indeed, new fresh oil filter every 6K from now on. Because its such a nice car to own and drive....

When I had my S204 C250 I changed the oil and filter (MB229.51+OE filter) every 5K - sold it at about 90K and no issues in 3 years of ownership so perhaps good oil changed frequently is the key?

I wonder what are the basis of the comments on the service interval being too long?
I think the reasoning behind it is that longer service intervals were introduced to make servicing costs seem more reasonable to fleet buyers, and may not necessarily be in the best interest for longevity of the engine.

My sprockets were fine, no wear at all. Its unlikely unless there is major wear, that sprockets would be needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom