Rattle :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model X & Mercedes W212 /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
I have an intermittent rattle coming from what seems like inside/underneath the glovebox.

This noise presents itself when driving over rough roads, and seems to be temperature dependent?

It's not the glovebox lid, and there's nothing inside the glovebox

I read somewhere it could be the AC duct taking air to the footwell? But how can I check this? will need to find a solid tape/double sided pads etc to hold the duct more secure and go for a drive. Doing this without taking the dash apart..

Any other ideas on what it could be?

Cheers

I have exactly this problem in my 204. Same symptoms, conditions, place, etc.

I've never found where it's coming from. I've even tried leaving the glovebox open, which seems to almost eliminate it, but no closer to finding out where it's coming from..

I have exactly this problem in my 204. Same symptoms, conditions, place, etc.

I've never found where it's coming from. I've even tried leaving the glovebox open, which seems to almost eliminate it, but no closer to finding out where it's coming from..

It's driving me up the wall mate :wallbash:

I found a patch of cobbles that triggers it really bad, but couldnt drive and investigate at the same time. I had a prod and poke but that's about all I could do.

If you can get someone else driving and find some cobbles you might have a better chance.

If you have option 581 Convenience Air Conditioning, there is a second filter behind a cover under the glovebox.

I have heard mentioned on some forums that some aftermarket filters are thinner than the original (and quite expensive) MB parts.

Could be worth just checking this filter and its cover are not loose.

I've replaced that air filter though. The noise was unchanged before and after the change. The one I took out was genuine, replaced with aftermarket.

Great suggestion though, worth OP checking.

If you have option 581 Convenience Air Conditioning, there is a second filter behind a cover under the glovebox.

I have heard mentioned on some forums that some aftermarket filters are thinner than the original (and quite expensive) MB parts.

Could be worth just checking this filter and its cover are not loose.

Hi ,

Thanks for your post

I don't think I have this feature unfortunately as don't see it on Vin decoder :( would it show up as an option?

Any other ideas?

Last edited:
I've replaced that air filter though. The noise was unchanged before and after the change. The one I took out was genuine, replaced with aftermarket.

Great suggestion though, worth OP checking.

We will get to the bottom of this together mate :D

I read somewhere it may be the AC ducting vibrating?

Or that there is simply some play in the glovebox assembly and 1" foam stuck under it may help?

I'll take some pictures of my area down there. :bannana:

It's only a few screws to release that panel.

What I really need is someone to drive for me over a bumpy road but it's hard to plan for due to the strange temperature dependence I've not really worked out.

I'll take some pictures of my area down there. :bannana:

It's only a few screws to release that panel.
What I really need is someone to drive for me over a bumpy road but it's hard to plan for due to the strange temperature dependence I've not really worked out.

Have you got Electric seats?

I think the rattle in mine is actually coming from the seat control box under the seat that all the connections plug into.

It's not secured correctly...

Can you see the right hand set of clips arnt seated right?

IMG_0658.jpg

Those things seem to come loose all the time. - I now don't worry when that SRS error shows on the dashboard; I just push the connectors home again when the ignition is off.

Now that I think about it, it is often after I've had a bit of a bone rattling ride.

I have electric seats but nothing there is loose. It's definitely the glovebox. If I lean over and press it while it's doing the noise it reduces or stops.

Those things seem to come loose all the time. - I now don't worry when that SRS error shows on the dashboard; I just push the connectors home again when the ignition is off.

Now that I think about it, it is often after I've had a bit of a bone rattling ride.

Haha stupid design IMO

I'm going to secure it using some duck tape so it doesn't come off again

I have electric seats but nothing there is loose. It's definitely the glovebox. If I lean over and press it while it's doing the noise it reduces or stops.

I can't be sure it's the seat either

Going for a long test drive tomorrow to see whether this has helped.

I will report back tomorrow.

Wish me luck :D

If we're talking about the same sound, it seems too high pitched to be coming from under the seat.

It sounds like, imagine (or remember :rock: ) inching a razor blade quickly side to side on a piece of glass at 90 degrees, that squeaky squeal... Is that like yours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom