Rattles in R231 SL AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

db1

Hi All,
Just thought I would post some of my findings as it may be helpful to any other SL owners. I recently got an 2016 SL63 having had a 2002 SL55 before. My SL55 which I have owned for many years had no rattles once I had diagnosed the early creaks as needing some rubber lubricant. The ride is also “gentle”. I was a bit surprised to find the SL63 had a number of rattles which could be heard clearly and the ride is definitely harsher than the 55. I put that down to the lower profile tyres on the 63 but it is quite noticeable on poor roads. It’s not bad, just different.

Now on to the rattles.

1. Right behind my right shoulder. Near the small rear window.
2. Above my head, seemed to come from windscreen or instrument binnacle.
3. Above my right shoulder.
4. On the passenger side seemed to come from headlining.
5. From the rear middle.

I set about trying to identify each and work out if I could solve them and it turned out to be quite straightforward.

Solutions:
1. I dropped each window on the drivers side in turn, and the noise stopped. I then raised each in turn; nothing. Only when both were raised did it start again. My solution was to use the Gummi Pflege rubber treatment around the window rubber liberally putting on the upright rubber parts and the parts which contact both windows.

2. Very simple - was the sun visor touching the headlining. I used a small piece of velcro and stuck it to the points of contact.

3. This one was slightly trickier as it was hard to isolate since I still had the window rattle. However reaching above my shoulder I pressed the trim pieces in turn and found that pressing one stopped the buzzing. Looking more closely you can pull the plastic trim piece away from the top of the door rubber. What you find is that the contact point “should“ be kept fixed by the window rubber but in fact it doesn’t. There is a small locating tag in the plastic which you can easily see. It is this which buzzes when contacting the other plastic piece. Simple solution was to stick some velco (the fuzzy part) over the tab. Then there is no plastic/plastic contact and the buzz disappeared.

4. Same as 3. as the problem is the same, its just not quite as annoying as its further from the driver!

5. This turned out to be the sunshade in the glass roof which was fully retracted. Just pulling it out a bit fixed that one.

I now have a quiet interior!

My SL55 had a lot more leather and many years later I still have no rattles! So I am hopeful this will be the end of it.

If anyone needs more specific information, just send me a message.

The good news is no tools required, just a bit of Velcro and some rubber treatment. Given the design i am surprised more owners haven’t found this. Having said that, I am very fussy about rattles, so maybe its just annoying to me.

All the best to everyone, take care.

DB1

I'd really like to have an SL but buzzes and rattles would awaken my dormant sociopath. Your advice offers hope of sanity.

Fortunately my old R230 had no rattles or creaks and my current R231 none either but I do use gummi pfledge regularly. Thanks for the write up, nice to have a clue if something does start rattling.

Thanks - when I got the car I started looking around to see if anyone had similar issues. I found a few references, but they seemed to involve taking apart a lot of trim pieces, so i was hoping that wasn’t the case. I do wonder whether the harsher ride in this car makes it worse.

Great info DB1!

I recently bought a 2019 SL63 and am currently going crazy over rattles. What you have describes seems to match pretty closely.

I’d already earmarked a buzzing noise that seems to come from directly in front / around the A-piller as potentially being the sun-visor so good to get confirmation on that.

There seems to be a lot of play in the plastic around the instrument cluster too which rattles occasionally, might see if I can find some rubber grommets / felt padding to shove in the gaps without being visible.

the one currently driving me crazy seems to come from the rear somewhere over my left shoulder.

Are you able to provide any images to help pinpoint the other items you mention with regards to trim?

Hi Louis,
I can totally understand the frustration - especially with a new car. A few suggestions:

1. There are few videos on Youtube which show how the interior trim pieces are fitted. When you see how this works, its easy to move them a bit and insert the felt pieces.

2. The rattle over your left should is probably the trim piece behind the door. Same as the solution for the right hand side.
3. The A-pillar may well be the sunshade. Try to put the shade down and see if that stops the rattle.
4. I also had a few rattles from the rear parcel shelf and again i inserted a few small pieces in there. The best way to check is to put the roof down and see what rattles remain.

I have now sorted most of it - and I can live with it now! The good news is that it just takes a bit of patience and a lot of sticky felt pieces! I would say that the overall ride of the SL63 is a lot harsher than the 55 and there is a different interior design and a lot more plastic pieces which make the rattles worse.

However the car is amazing, i have now had a chance to do a few thousand miles now. i love it. And I am sure you will once these things are sorted! Let me know how you get on...

DB1

I've never noticed a rattle - I suppose I now will on my next drive....... :rolleyes:

@ToeKnee @Rorywquin I think the rattles are more pronounced in the R231 AMG. The ride is a lot sportier than my 55 for example where I don’t have any rattles either. It doesn’t have the low profile tyres and the ride is much softer. Whilst I have not been in a non AMG R231 I suspect it may have a more compliant ride.

@ToeKnee @Rorywquin I think the rattles are more pronounced in the R231 AMG. The ride is a lot sportier than my 55 for example where I don’t have any rattles either. It doesn’t have the low profile tyres and the ride is much softer. Whilst I have not been in a non AMG R231 I suspect it may have a more compliant ride.
In S+ mode my ride is pretty hard on 19" wheels. 😀 . Weather has been too poor to go for a run and listen for rattles!!:(

You may be right, I deliberately decided not to have a full amg SL because the suspension was too hard for my liking, although my 500 has the sorts suspension it's a lot better than the 63 (in my opinion), I still prefer the ABC suspension on my earlier R230 though......

I find the R231 very sensitive to tyre pressure. It pays to ensure that pressures are correct.

I find the ride and handling compromise really deft and a good balance between comfort and sportiness.

Great news! When you have a moment please can you come and fix the myriad rattles in my 1 year old Audi A6! God I hate that car! Drives me nuts with all the tizzing and rattles.

My CLK had a sun visor rattle which I cured in a similar fashion to you! Great job on tracking them all down. I’m a rattle hater too, which probably explains my hatred of my Audi which the dealer can’t fix!

I had a annoying rattle or more like a flexing noise on mine when I bought it. i found out about Krytox I did all the roof seals with it and the noise has gone. Expensive stuff but well worth it. :thumb:

Hi all I have also located a really annoying squeak ir churp in my 2014 sl500 R231.

It sounded like it was coming from over my right shoulder (right hand drive so door side for uk drivers) when going over uneven surfaces that you could imagine would caused flex at the door. Happened at any speed.

After many months I managed to pin it down to the storage bin at the front of the door near the boot open button
Give the door bin a wiggle and speak squeaks away

I have tried to get some silicon spray in and behind but nothing it working

Anyone else had this issue and found a solution?
Cheers
S

Hi all I have also located a really annoying squeak ir churp in my 2014 sl500 R231.

It sounded like it was coming from over my right shoulder (right hand drive so door side for uk drivers) when going over uneven surfaces that you could imagine would caused flex at the door. Happened at any speed.

After many months I managed to pin it down to the storage bin at the front of the door near the boot open button
Give the door bin a wiggle and speak squeaks away

I have tried to get some silicon spray in and behind but nothing it working

Anyone else had this issue and found a solution?
Cheers
S
Hi, I haven’t had that specific problem but in general I have used small pieces of double sided tape in the areas where I can see or hear contact. I haven’t had much success with sprays apart from the roof seal where it has had a good effect.
DB1

Hi, I haven’t had that specific problem but in general I have used small pieces of double sided tape in the areas where I can see or hear contact. I haven’t had much success with sprays apart from the roof seal where it has had a good effect.
DB1
Thanks yeah I agree I just work out whrre the contact is happening. Loathed to take the door car off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom