Rattley E220 CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gregdaniels

I have a E220 CDI and find the engine sounds like a truck. On it's last service and after 3 years of complaining, a machenic jumped up and decided it must be the turbo charger. The spray on grease was the test and I tell you, for one day it sounded like a new car and could have been petrol. Next day it was a different story and was back to being a truck. It is going in for a new turbo next week. Has anyone any comments on this.

Did changing the Turbo fix your problem. I think I have a very similar problem to yours. Did your car give off a puff of smoke in the morning?

I have my doubts - what would spray on grease do ? OK with variable vane technology , there is the possibility that it could silence rattly vanes , but apart from that it would last a few seconds in the turbo housing .
You have to ask yourself where else the grease could have gone to make any difference to the way the engine sounds .
You may also consider it prudent to wash all of the gunge out of your intercooler

Did changing the Turbo fix your problem. I think I have a very similar problem to yours. Did your car give off a puff of smoke in the morning?
New turbo made no difference at all. Salisbury Mercedes looked interested until the warranty ran out. I don't think they did much and looking at the car after they worked on it, I could not see where anything had been removed. Same amount of road dust everywhere. Mind you, I'm not clever like the mechanic I saw.

"Rattly" 220

Greg, Over here we will subject the fuel injection system to a "Diesel Purge"

The example is for the 617 and 603 motors,'But would apply to any diesel.

Link to DIY proceedure:
(Thanks to another alternate forum member "Diesel Giant")

http://www.dieselgiant.com/injectorcleaning.htm

Easy and effective.

The product is a Lubro Moly solution. I know it's available in the EU.

Of course a clean air intake system wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom