Rave Party & License Advice Please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Not because I wish to have a rave. I want to have a rant.

Yesterday afternoon at around 14:00 our peace was shattered by earsplitting Boom Boom bass dance music. It remained shattered until around 02:00am today. We now know that this was an organised "Rave"

When I say LOUD I mean no conversation LOUD and light fittings vibrating LOUD.

On calling the Police at midnight I was told "we know all about this sir due to multiple complaints. Officers have attended and the organisers have produced a valid license"

I then called the Council's emergency help line. Almost word for word the same response as the Police. They added, that their line was flooded with complaints about the same event.

The event was held in the open air with a huge light show. The level of base was the biggest issue. You could actually see ripples in glasses of drink.

How do we find out who licensed this (the council will not say) and how do we (who do we) object to stop this happening again.

Should there be a consultation with locals residents before granting a license?

We live in a rural location (no town or even village) just a few houses and single track lanes. Not where you expect an event like this.

A few hours maybe at a push. But 12 hours. Holy Moly.

The entire thing sounds like a stuck CD. The beat never changes.

AAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Oh here is a sample.

Simply humm this to yourself and repeat in a loop for 12 hours.

Boom Boom dee Boom diddy diddy
Dee Bomm Boom dee Boom diddy diddy
and repeat.

Every fifteen minutes or so add in a train annoucers voice shout garbled commands and a wonky piano going Plinkety Plonk"

Last edited:
Best advice is to join the party when this sort of thing happens.

tbh, 2am is an early finish, you were lucky.

The council is obliged to act on complaints

Here in Brighton the council runs a noise hotline till 0300 and they will attend and issue notices to stop noise. They can levy fines up to £1500, I believe

If the council issued the licence in the first place then there is a bit of a conflict of interest...

Nick Froome

I assume there are decibel and frequency levels that must be adheared to. I suppose measuring these in some manner and presenting them as evidence to the council should stop it happening in the future.

Who's land was it on - ultimately someone must have rented them the space. Maybe this can be pursued. If it was council land then this might get muddled.

Not because I wish to have a rave. I want to have a rant.

Yesterday afternoon at around 14:00 our peace was shattered by earsplitting Boom Boom bass dance music. It remained shattered until around 02:00am today. We now know that this was an organised "Rave"

When I say LOUD I mean no conversation LOUD and light fittings vibrating LOUD.

On calling the Police at midnight I was told "we know all about this sir due to multiple complaints. Officers have attended and the organisers have produced a valid license"

I then called the Council's emergency help line. Almost word for word the same response as the Police. They added, that their line was flooded with complaints about the same event.

The event was held in the open air with a huge light show. The level of base was the biggest issue. You could actually see ripples in glasses of drink.

How do we find out who licensed this (the council will not say) and how do we (who do we) object to stop this happening again.

Should there be a consultation with locals residents before granting a license?

We live in a rural location (no town or even village) just a few houses and single track lanes. Not where you expect an event like this.

A few hours maybe at a push. But 12 hours. Holy Moly.

The entire thing sounds like a stuck CD. The beat never changes.

AAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Oh here is a sample.

Simply humm this to yourself and repeat in a loop for 12 hours.

Boom Boom dee Boom diddy diddy
Dee Bomm Boom dee Boom diddy diddy
and repeat.

Every fifteen minutes or so add in a train annoucers voice shout garbled commands and a wonky piano going Plinkety Plonk"

A 2 am finish you got away lightly, they are all nighters around here.

It's exactly the sort of place you would expect it to be held, in the country away from population causing minimum disturbance.

The licensing for these events changed last year when the Live Music at 2012 was established

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2012/2/contents/enacted

Yeah 2am for a rave sounds amazing that it stopped then. Unless it was shut down at that time?

Should be easy enough to track down online, if you need help PM me your address (village name) and I will look into the area etc.

For years I was a bit of a raver myself :) (still go to the odd D&B one at local venue)

At least the noise may have helped to deter some of the other unwelcome nocturnal activities that you have had to put up with in the area............

Best get in touch with a local councillor sympathetic to your situation. They-- rather than paid council officials should know the right buttons to press to get the information you need to take this further. Be aware that there are always "vested interests" in these situations who will actively place obstacles on your "path to enlightenment" :rolleyes:
The sort of information you want is whether this was a "one off " or whether its going to be a regular thing. If it is --then people have had partial success in modifying any licence granted by restricting the hours and the number of times a year any similar event will occur using the appeal process even if they can't stop them altogether.

Last edited:
The council are the licensing authority for such an event.

It was probably licensed under a "Temporary Event Notice"

As long as the council has recorded numerous complaints about this event, it should (hopefully!) refuse further applications.

The council are the licensing authority for such an event.

It was probably licensed under a "Temporary Event Notice"

As long as the council has recorded numerous complaints about this event, it should (hopefully!) refuse further applications.

Councils have an obligation to take into account noise complaints but oddly enough where temporary licensed events are concerned they tend to try to ignore them because, as we were told, "with open air events noise propagation varies greatly with wind direction so next time you might not be impacted". Ah yes, how silly of us: somebody else will suffer so that is OK then

Further research showed that for some big events certain councils actually pay for "severely impacted" residents to be put in hotels, which shows where their true interests lie

The trick is to get as many complaints in writing as you can and drag your local councillor and press into the process but without looking like a bunch of Victor Meldrews having a moan about modern music.

It worked in our case but took two years to stop a local landowner (a former Councillor.....) from getting licences for his two day summer event but had to bring in issues like largely unmanaged traffic chaos, surges in local reported crime and pollution of watercourses.

They made comforting noises but really did not want to lift a finger to start with so you need to make their lives as miserable as possible

Councils have an obligation to take into account noise complaints but oddly enough where temporary licensed events are concerned they tend to try to ignore them because, as we were told, "with open air events noise propagation varies greatly with wind direction so next time you might not be impacted". Ah yes, how silly of us: somebody else will suffer so that is OK then

Further research showed that for some big events certain councils actually pay for "severely impacted" residents to be put in hotels, which shows where their true interests lie

The trick is to get as many complaints in writing as you can and drag your local councillor and press into the process but without looking like a bunch of Victor Meldrews having a moan about modern music.

It worked in our case but took two years to stop a local landowner (a former Councillor.....) from getting licences for his two day summer event but had to bring in issues like largely unmanaged traffic chaos, surges in local reported crime and pollution of watercourses.

They made comforting noises but really did not want to lift a finger to start with so you need to make their lives as miserable as possible

Unless the frequency is excessive it seems unnecessary to complain. people have to have entertainment.

The idea of temporary rehousing residents is a great idea, shows the Council really do care.

Bruce.
For the next one just negotiate some compensation, a free gate pass and a bag of skunk

Dieselman said:
The idea of temporary rehousing residents is a great idea, shows the Council really do care.

Except you probably wouldn't want to abandon your house if the next field was full of 1000s of revellers, unless you wanted to get burgled.

Ok.

Problem appears solved.

Local council (red faced) say they issued a "one off" license for a house warming party. This was for outdoors music.

All (including house owner) seem to agree the music got too loud.

It was a "one off" which hopefully is resolved.

Council did say that they were deluged in complaints.

No lasting damage. Apart from the abuse of the word "music"

Boom dee boom boom boom.

A house warming? Well I bet you are can't wait to meet those new neighbours who will be having summer barbecues and 18th birthday parties!

S

Boom dee boom boom boom.

Shame on them, if it went 'boom, boom, boom, wikid' it would have been alright ;)

Most councils have designated 'noise teams', in some extreme cases you could complain to the Environmental Agency as believe or not, noise is an environmental pollution :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom