RAW files

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

I have taken some shots on my Canon 400D in RAW format, and now can't view them on my PC.

I have installed the Microsft update, but still no joy.

Is there any software, preferably free that I can use to view these photos?

Many thanks

Tan

Hi

I have taken some shots on my Canon 400D in RAW format, and now can't view them on my PC.

I have installed the Microsft update, but still no joy.

Is there any software, preferably free that I can use to view these photos?

Google Picasa will deal with some raw formats.

There are also free raw converters based on dcraw (which is command line based) such as rawdrop.

Edit: And Canon should have provided something with the camera.

I use Rawshooter

Great piece of free software that was subject to an Adobe buyout so they could nick the technology and charge you for Lightroom :mad:
A quick google will get rid of the startup nag screen, this is because the server for free registration doesn't exist any more. You can also ignore th nag as it doesn't affect performance at all.

Obviously it hasn't got updated RAW files for the more recent cameras, but it should cover the 400D as it certainly covers my 5D and 30D

RawShooter Essentials 2006 - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
Welcome to the world of post processing - stick with it even if it does seem like more work to begin with because you can always make that shot a little better :D

Finally - you could always use the Canon DPP S/W that comes with the camera!

Mark

Hi Guys

Thanks for the advice, I will download RawShooter now, I am away at the moment and the Canon software is at home. So fingers crossed this works.

Picasa works with many raw formats as mentioned here, however if you're seriously getting into raw processing then lightroom is worth every penny it costs.

I process via photoshop - had to drop a file into plugins from the abobe website ..tried the program Mark mentioned but doesn't support Nikon Nef files.

Installed RawShooter but it does not recognise the images, they are Canon RAW File (CR2) files.

Do you still have the CD that came with the camera? This should contain the cannon software to allow you to open RAW files on your PC.

Tan, if you need the original Canon software I can host it for you from home. I have the same camera.

Ian.

Doesn't picasa also process them automatically therefore negating some of the benefits of shooting Raw? Read it adjusts the White light. Or has that now been updated?

Doesn't picasa also process them automatically therefore negating some of the benefits of shooting Raw? Read it adjusts the White light. Or has that now been updated?

It does process but I think it's non-destructive. I believe he just wants to view his shots, which it will do fine until he gets back home!

Thanks Guys, I installed Picasa and I can view the shots. Thanks everyone :). Saw them in a rush before I left to drive from Peterhead down to Dundee. We having a party tomorrow for my son, so will decide what format to shoot those pictures in as I am bound to have to send them to the family and friends, so will need to be easy for them to view.

Shoot them in Raw!
Or if you have a big CF card shoot Raw + Jpeg ;)

You can convert to Jpeg at home with the Canon S/W

Shoot in raw, you can upload them to a web album from Picasa and also email them as jpeg from there.

I shoot in RAW + Jpeg fine. Get around 175 pics on a 4gb card. The reason I do this is that when I have transferred to my HD I can immediately see all the jpeg files. The NEF ones are just icons so can't be viewed until processed. I don't intend to process them all so will discard them at a later date.

SD cards are now very reasonable in price. Even picked one up. (4gb) in Asda for £9.99. Usually get my sister to post over from States where she paid $10.

So as Mark says if you have the storage shoot in both. I also like using the jpeg file as a reference base to compare a processed RAW file against.

RAW Therapee is a free raw converter.

Paid ones include Apple Aperture, Adobe Lightroom etc.,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom