• Higher. Long term.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • Don't hold your breath!

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Freefall.

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Ever considered the dogs?

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • This is much cleaner than his last poll ;)

Votes: 8 19.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carrotchomper

MB Enthusiast
Car
C207 E350 CDI coupe
I had a bit of a silly morning at work today. Vastly knackered and rather un-motivated, I managed to set up an online share-dealing account. I am fascinated by the money markets and a little bored of money in the bank gently depreciating :devil:

I have bought £100 of RBS shares (£113 with fees) in the slightly misguided feeling that they were unlikely to fall further. :crazy:

I'm a little down already... Bought at 13p, market closed at 10p, but there's got to be scope for some decent profit. Right? :eek:

Multiple answers allowed ;)

Last edited:
It sounds like you're doing it to satisfy your interest as much as anything else, so go on the rollercoaster ride. If it gets too scary though, close your eyes and then open them in ten years. You'll have either lost the lot, or you'll have made a tidy profit, maybe enough for a nice holiday. With £113 in, it's not the end of the world if you do lose the lot.

I decided to close my eyes some time ago with some banking shares (not RBS), as I was in it for the long haul after missing a high point. Now those shares are worth 1/8th of what they were then, so you could say I'm gutted.

Sadly, not a small amount either, so on paper I've lost a lot. There are lots of people out there who've lost much much more though in recent times, which is some consolation.

We have lots of avid share watchers at work. After our share price lost 1/3 of it's value they were having a field day, buying more and more, on the basis that they were diluting the negative effects it had on their share options purchased through work. They're getting sweatty now though, as they've lost more than that again!!

PS Gutted I missed the 'original' chomper poll, but I rememember reading the aftermath of comments. :D

I had a bit of a silly morning at work today. Vastly knackered and rather un-motivated, I managed to set up an online share-dealing account. I am fascinated by the money markets and a little bored of money in the bank gently depreciating :devil:

I have bought £100 of RBS shares (£113 with fees) in the slightly misguided feeling that they were unlikely to fall further. :crazy:

I'm a little down already... Bought at 13p, market closed at 10p, but there's got to be scope for some decent profit. Right? :eek:

Multiple answers allowed ;)

I bought 70% of RBS, well me and 60 million others.:eek:

I have bought £100 of RBS shares (£113 with fees) in the slightly misguided feeling that they were unlikely to fall further.

I think you just have to shut your eyes and put the certs in a drawer for a decade. My view is that by then they will either be a memorial to a long lost institution or you'll get your money back several times over.

A quick google threw this up

And I thought the random witterings on here were sometimes hard to follow...:)

Ade

Very risky IMO - both RBS and Lloyds group seem to be at real risk of nationalisation - in which case the shares will be worth nothing. If they survive, as said above, you will make money (as will the Government if they've got any sense).

Probably one of the safer bets is HSBC holdings which seems to have had little government help and appears to be fairly solvent. IMO they would be a good buy at a low price.

Analysts are now starting to talk about the real value of toxic assets in the world' banking system as being $10 trillion. Governments have stepped in to the tune of around $2 trillion so far leaving another $8 trillion out there somewhere.

Result is that most banking stocks will struggle, many will remain in free fall. Governments worldwide will end up nationalising many of these banks for the short to medium term (this is what happened in Sweden in the 70's).

I've dumped all my bank holdings.

RBS is dead. The government gets first crack at any profits for YEARS to come now. Put the shares away for ATLEAST 10 years but really dont expect anything from them ever and youwont be disappointed.

Sorry

its gonna take you a long time to make that £13 back up :)

you should have sold them short.

we've held RBS for ages, had lost an absolute packet in that government-driven Northern Rock fiasco.
Sold at 32p on Monday and they crashed to 12p, rallied I think to 20p.
My advice - its only a hundred quid so hold them for the "sport" but kiss goodbye to the £.
No one really seems sure what happens upon nationalisation as normally when someone's holding reaches 70% of total shares they have to make a formal bid for the remaining 30%. In this case, apparently the same rules dont apply.......one rule for one etc. Typical government.

guess where this clown lives?

I tell you, I live at the centre of the known universe.:devil:

Thats an interesting story. He'll get nowhere of course, but it does raise the question of why fund managers/directors of institutions are so unaccountable to their customers. They can just constantly get away with blaming "market forces" when the real truth is that theycontrol said market. We've just cancelled some endowments where the value now is significantly less than the initial investment, yet they've had the cash for 15 years (to make -3.5%). Unbelievably (hence my FSA complaint) they tried to tell me the funds had decreased in value by 10% in 5 working days.

RBS will be a gonner soon.

I bank with them and I have been following their fortunes quite closely over the last few months. Monday gone I withdrew all, and I mean all, my savings and residual current account monies from them, (other than my DD stuff), just in case Gordon decides to do it 1st.

Portzy.

RBS will be a gonner soon.

I bank with them and I have been following their fortunes quite closely over the last few months. Monday gone I withdrew all, and I mean all, my savings and residual current account monies from them, (other than my DD stuff), just in case Gordon decides to do it 1st.

Portzy.

For some odd reason (nothing to with logic) I also have all my bank accounts with RBS, including business accounts... whilst I can live with the interest rates being pants, am I being naive in thinking they can't possibly collapse taking my meagre capital with them... Doesn't the govt prop this kind of thing up..?

Anyone..

Ade

its gonna take you a long time to make that £13 back up :)

you should have sold them short.

LOL.... pity you can't short stock on an online account -- or can you??..

Dealing in £100 is a fun thing to do...but .5% Stamp and dealing charges makes a big % cost on a small punt..

I was looking at Barclays when they were £1.44 ....thought I had missed the boat when they breached £2 -- and have now been pleased that I didn't when they went below £1...

Too much undisclosed liabilities in banking stock ...the only bank that seems to weather better is HSBC...

Personally I feel there ought to someone held to account for the buy back of securitised mortgages when they were securitised to reduce risk and offload it to others.....I think the phrase is "hoisted on your own petard"....

Ordinary people shouldnt play the stockmarket expecting to profit. You should be prepared to lose some or most of your "investment". Its only an educated gamble at best.
I would expect your "investment" to either go completly down the pan - OR- do well in the loooooonnnnngggggg term. Which one its going to be is in the lap of the gods.

For some odd reason (nothing to with logic) I also have all my bank accounts with RBS, including business accounts... whilst I can live with the interest rates being pants, am I being naive in thinking they can't possibly collapse taking my meagre capital with them... Doesn't the govt prop this kind of thing up..?

Anyone..

Ade

You know when you get those sixth sense or feeling of dread moments? well over the weekend I had one. It usually takes quite a lot to stir me into action but I had a call from from my local account holding RBS last week suggesting that I move my money into something "safer" :eek:, their words not mine. This, coupled with watching their share price nosedive during Monday, made me decide to temporarily withdraw all my spare cash and salt it away where it could not be touched.

The Govts share of RBS was something like 58% and now its reckoned to be approaching 70% so this is making me nervous of the Govts intentions, ie full ownership or rather nationalisation, a bit like the Northern Rock scenario I guess. Anyways, I know that savings are supposed to be guaranteed, up to a limit, but the problem for me would be down to when I would be reimbursed if the bank went south.

Lets face it, anything and everything is possible now? who would have for-told all this eighteen months ago?

Portzy.

v risky. share price indicates they are pretty much trading at nothing.

RBS estimates a full year loss, before exceptional goodwill impairments, of between £7bn and £8bn. Goodwill impairments of £15bn - £20Bn expected on the write down of the ABN Amro transaction.

The £5bn of HM Treasury preference shares are to be converted into ordinary shares, at 31.75p per share, thus increasing government ownership to 70%+ but saving £600m of annual pref share dividends and removing the restriction on dividends that existed whilst the pref shares remained in place.

Credit impairment losses will be between £6.5bn and £7bn, including a £1bn specific provision relating to LyondellBasell Industries. In addition there will be a credit market write-down of c£8Bn.

I reckon nationalisation is on the cards.

LOL.... pity you can't short stock on an online account -- or can you??..

If you're just playing at these levels its far more viable to use a spread firm.

Open and account at IG Index, you can then short, effectively you can do anything a stockbroker can do.

I have an account with these guys but I just play at it out of pure curiosity. The sums of money are never going to be large enough to change my life, either for the better or worse...but if I get it right I can occasionally get a free holiday - that suits me fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom