Re. AdBlue Heat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JimmMl350

Car
MB ML350 BlueTec
Hi, I have a ML 350 from 2012/2013.

The engine lamp has turned on and it's yellow. I have found out that the problem is "AdBlue Heat".

Is there anyone here who has had the same problem and what did you do to get it fixed?

And is it a complicated issue to get it fixed?

Please share your experiences - much appreciated.

/Jimmy

Do a search on here, I think there has been at least 1 more instance of the AdBlue heater failing. From what I remember, it was an expensive job, but under £1000, not by much, though!

Ernie

Rather than start a new thread, I am adding to this one with my issue. Our 2012 ML 350 has has thrown a EML light on the dash, drives fine etc.
My better half has managed to get it to the indy today, they have read the codes and I have just spoken to her. The fault relates to "something to do with the Adblue heater element" (in her words), so my indy has suggested doing a software update first to see if that works, as "it's an expensive job if it doesn't" (indy's words).

I cannot speak to my indy at the min (am currently abroad with work commitments), so whilst I appreciate my info is somewhat sketchy, I have had a search on the forum and the net and it seems to be a common issue of the adblue heater failing.

Obviously I am hoping the software update fixes this issue (if that is even possible?) but has anyone had similar experience and is the only remedy having the heater replaced? Again looking on the net, it would appear this could cost approx £1k if it is indeed a replacement that is needed :(

The ML is a 2012 and has approx 66k miles, part main dealer history and then part indy, all up to date and as per schedule, and ASAIK is on the MB electronic service sheet/database.

Advice appreciated whilst I wait (nervously) for the next update from the boss, while she waits for hours for the software update to be completed.

An update for anyone with similar issues:

Indy put it on star, showed fault code Z0B1B, (the output of the heating element of the adblue tank has a malfunction). A software update has been carried out and it appears to have cleared the fault code.
Have been told to monitor it and if it returns then the heater will have to be replaced :( (circa £800).
Whilst it was there, he noticed the compressor for the airmatic was quite noisey and has suggested it needs replacing, as well as one of the ARB drop links (to be fair this was an advisory on the last MOT a few months ago).

If it is not one thing tis another as they say, oh well!

In addition to the above, my indie stated the correct procedure to follow now oppose to replacing the heater, was to check for software updates and if one was available for the vehicle this should be carried out first to see if it resolves issues (no idea how).
A software update was available for our ML (2012 W166 circa 66k miles) and it was carried out......it worked :). Was advised to return immediately if the light returned as the heater would have to be replaced.

Contacted MB for a price on the heater. (part number A1664710775)....£573+VAT :eek:

It is actually a Bosch part (part number F01C600244) and can be sourced for circa £350 all in. These are for the ML W166 not sure if they are the same across the board.

Well with these adblue pre heaters,you get a lot of nonsense written in adverts for parts,like if this heater goes it can ruin the pump,but the pre heater is there only for very cold climates ,so if you start your car at say minus 10 the heater is needed to quickly heat the adblue which will have frozen so it is pumped into the exhaust ,not sure what software update could apply here but hey the fault has gone away,but a mystery,also adblue in a car used in countries with plus 30 degrees can dry out and be useless,it's a strange old world.

You might be interested in this video [ terrible quality but you get the idea] The guy appears to struggle with the electrical locking connectors involved but does mention that the fault that comes up is due to heating element corrosion. He also mentions a guy in CANADA who rebuilds these units with improved parts . I believe Mercedes may have upgraded their units also- perhaps to combat this very issue.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I know it's an old thread but mines going in next Tuesday for a new heater, had the fault code cleared last year but its come back and needs fixing at a cost of £1020 😭

In addition to the above, my indie stated the correct procedure to follow now oppose to replacing the heater, was to check for software updates and if one was available for the vehicle this should be carried out first to see if it resolves issues (no idea how).
A software update was available for our ML (2012 W166 circa 66k miles) and it was carried out......it worked :). Was advised to return immediately if the light returned as the heater would have to be replaced.

Contacted MB for a price on the heater. (part number A1664710775)....£573+VAT :eek:

It is actually a Bosch part (part number F01C600244) and can be sourced for circa £350 all in. These are for the ML W166 not sure if they are the same across the board.
Interesting as MB are refusing to do a software update until the heater is replaced-why would you want a customer to spend £1200 unnecessarily. If anyone does have the same issue a Bosch equivalent part is available at Xenons4u for £129.
An indie should be around £300. Around £800 cheaper than MB. I will be having mine done this week.

Hi had the same problem with my ML a few years back got it sorted at an independent MB garage it was around £400 including fitting

Hi had the same problem with my ML a few years back got it sorted at an independent MB garage it was around £400 including fitting
Thanks for the info. Seems to be quite a common problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom