Re-Engined Car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

10EDD

Car
GL 350 & VW GTE
What is the general consensus on relatively new cars having replacement engines fitted both with regard to ownership perception and re-sale value further down the line (or any other thoughts).

My C250 went in for it's fist annual service after only 5,000 miles last week and remains at the dealership awaiting a replacemnt engine as apparanrly the main bearing has cracked and a whole replacement engine is being shipped in for fitting and I'm not sure how I feel about it tbh.
Edd

Most manufactured items are more likely to fail within the first few months of ownership than at any other time.

If I was in the market to buy your car in a couple of years time and saw that it had been re-engined early-on in its life and had gone on to do many more miles I'd not worry. I don't suppose I'm the same as everyone else though!

I think I'd be having serious words with the Dealer Principle. You've bought a brand new car and it needs a new engine after only 5000 miles, and if you feel it has de-valued the car then they need to do something about it. If you wanted a car that's value dropped like a stone, then you would have bought a Ford Mundano.

Maybe (and it's a big maybe) the dealer and you can agree a buy back price in the future to protect at least some of your residuals.

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with buying a car that had a dealer fit replacement engine, but I would fear the future value because not everyone thinks like me.

Assuming the engine fitted is a also a new one [ off the production line] then nothing to worry about. Make sure you get official documentary evidence from Mercedes Benz detailing this and that all vehicle information is changed to reflect the new situation on Mercedes own COMPUTER SYSTEM . In my experience its only when documents/data don't match reality that people get twitchy. e.g log book details for example. It should be a mere inconvenience more than anything else. I assume they gave you a loaner while this is going on?

As far as resale value goes; how would any prospective customer find out that a replacement has been fitted? The DVLA will change the engine number on the V5C and leave no visible record of it having been done. The only details Merc keep is on the service record which is usually not shown to the owner. AFAIK.

As far as resale value goes; how would any prospective customer find out that a replacement has been fitted? The DVLA will change the engine number on the V5C and leave no visible record of it having been done. The only details Merc keep is on the service record which is usually not shown to the owner. AFAIK.

That's what I was thinking, how would a new customer know if it had an engine change?

And so therefore if they don't cannot affect the re-sale value.

However I do feel for the OP in having to have a new engine after only 5000 miles. If that was me I'd be seriously pi**ed and demanding a replacement car. Don't know how far I'd get with it though.

As above I don't think having a brand new engine fitted by M-B would affect the value of the car at all.

Obviously you've suffered inconvenience & disappointment though.

I think I'd be having serious words with the Dealer Principle. You've bought a brand new car and it needs a new engine after only 5000 miles, and if you feel it has de-valued the car then they need to do something about it. If you wanted a car that's value dropped like a stone, then you would have bought a Ford Mundano.

Maybe (and it's a big maybe) the dealer and you can agree a buy back price in the future to protect at least some of your residuals.

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with buying a car that had a dealer fit replacement engine, but I would fear the future value because not everyone thinks like me.

There are no grounds to reject this car at this stage. All that can be done is being done. Why would anyone worry about a new engine?????

just keep quiet and be thankful they havent said its your driving that has caused the issue! if they are paying be happy!

Had a G Wagen 280 petrol a few years ago, bought from a main dealer with 14k on the clock. Took it in for a first service and said it was using a bit of oil, The dealer said they would check, long story short, Mercedes told the dealer to replace the engine. So, I now had a three year old G Wagen with a brand new engine:thumb: as far as I was concerned, almost new car. When I eventually sold the car, it was sold with full knowledge to the buyer that the engine had been renewed at 14k so the odo reading of 70k, the negine had only done 56k, a selling point:D

I would be happy buying it as a second hand bargain, as it will bound to affect the value. Maybe a dealer would give a better deal when it comes to re-sell as all they are intrested in is condition of the car, mileage and age to get their glasses book valuation.

This is the typical 'something for nothing' attitude that is common in this country now.

If MB were holding back on the fitment of a new engine you'd be screaming bleu murder attempting to reject the car, not fit for purpose etc.

They're being upfront and your getting a new engine, when you come to sell unless asked you don't need to disclose this.

I dont see any problem here at all, they are doing what they are required to do.

This is the typical 'something for nothing' attitude that is common in this country now.

I see your point, but this isn't a something for nothing incident. The OP bought a new car in good faith and it needs a new engine after only 5k miles. A new car (especially of MB quality and price) need only visit a dealer for a service, bar any niggles. A new engine is not 'a niggle' by the way.

As I say, I'd be talking to the dealer principle.

I'd keep the letter/receipt from MB to show the reason for the new engine. Otherwise some buyers might wonder if there was fire or flood damage giving doubt as to what else might be wrong with the car.

New engine under warranty, supplied and fitted by a manufacter outlet.

As long as you're provided a courtesy car, there's no real inconvenience and you get a brand new engine.

No down side at all.

I've had a car that had a new engine at 5,000 miles. Great, let them do it... :)

Engine replacement is very common outside 1st World [Developed '' ''] countries. Mid -East new cars are frequently abandoned / sold off because of simple electronic or carb faults. Sahel and Kalahari areas import loads of engines [complete] from Japan and Europe because of dust, abrasive sand and poor air-cleaners and filters. Most east -African motorists will take the new car engine and refill immediately with a good diesel detergent oil and run on it for 2000 to 5000miles. Then back to a high quality petrol oil. Its proven that this gives much higher mileage and better engine longevity - trouble-free. Beetle engine replacement takes under 2 hrs, a 6-cyl Merc takes 6 -10 hrs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom