Re-Formatting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marcos

MB Enthusiast
Car
C43 estate
I had to completely reformat my hard drive yesterday as a load of files had simply gone missing. I managed to do it pretty quickly for an idiot like me but I was wondering if I should continue to use explorer or use one of these other ones everyone goes on about.
As you can see I even managed to re-install all the drivers and get the internet working. This IT lark is a piece of cake :D :D

I'm not sure I understand your reasons for the format? You had files go missing, so that prompted a format? :crazy: Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick. :rolleyes: :D

I presume you mean should you carry on using Internet Explorer? If you do, make sure it has all the relevant patches installed from the M$ support website.

Personally, I prefer to use Netscape 7.1 for my web and email client. There are plenty of other browsers out there though... Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Avant to name but a few. Sp!ke recently posted about the pitfalls of using IE.

Finally, ever considered using SoftLogica's Handy Recovery? Great little utility for recovering deleted files.

S.

Last edited:
I had to re-format because some dll files were corrupt and some had just gone walkies. Windows could not repair these files unfortunately.

Ian,
I would be happy to come over and sort out your home network for you. It would never work mind you and I would probably bugger everything up in your house but I might learn somethings. :D :D

Ian B Walker said:
If it is mate come on over and sort out my home network :(
I thought your home network was working! What's wrong with it?

Last night I had to do a complete reinstall of my system (McAfee upgrade that went wrong, ever tried to uninstall it?) I ran through everything that the "wizard" suggested / told me to do. Thought, yeah going to be A OK. opened the laptop, ran through the same process. Shared all the drives etc. And no network. Even logging onto the internet is a tricky process now whereas before it was switch computer on and go (Broadband). Needless to say I am a little dissenchanted right now. Was going to use other words but there are Lady's who visit this site :crazy:

(McAfee upgrade that went wrong, ever tried to uninstall it?) Quote.

Why pay for McAfee, when you can get something as good for free?
Plus as it appears you have discovered it doesn't like letting go and can have conflicts with other programmes. :mad:

I use AGV Anivirus, free for home use from grisoft.com.

Plodd said:
I use AGV Anivirus, free for home use from grisoft.com.

indeed it is free for home use but it's not free if you have a home network. the free version is for standalone computers - install it on a network and things go horribly wrong :(

We've got the network version running here - it was cheap enough and performs pretty well

Andy

andy_k said:
indeed it is free for home use but it's not free if you have a home network. the free version is for standalone computers - install it on a network and things go horribly wrong :(

We've got the network version running here - it was cheap enough and performs pretty well

Andy

Not true - I have it running on two home networked PCs and it's fine. :D it does think they are standalones though ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom