Re-fuelling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raymont

Car
GL 420CDI
When I re-fuel my car in continental Europe I can put the fuel nozzle in the filler, clip the trigger in the ‘on’ position and then keep warm in the car, clean the windscreen etc. until the pump cuts out and the tank is full.

Why can’t I do this in the UK?

Most seem to have removed the clip that allows this. Probably afraid of customers complaining that the thing wouldn't turn off.

I spend a fair bit of time in the US and the ability to leave the pump on without having to hold onto it is fantastic.

Always wondered why we didn't have it over here.

Probably just another nanny state safety feature!

Theres a little plastic gadget you can buy that goes in the fuel nozzle handle that does exactly this for UK pumps, not seen any for a while but presumably you can still get them? maybe e bay?

Because it's too expensive to fill up! :D

Pumps in this country used to have this facility, but no longer.

I suspect it's because the pump auto shut-off may not be 100% reliable and there is a small chance a small overflow may occur. This would put the pump out of action until the spill was cleaned, and may also get m'learned friends involved as someone's trousers and shoes got splashed.

I just use my filler cap wedged in sideways. The pump always stops at the right time although if the car is empty 80 litres takes a while!

I just use my filler cap wedged in sideways. The pump always stops at the right time although if the car is empty 80 litres takes a while!

I'll try that!

Mine takes 100litres when empty and it gets quite chilly at the moment waiting for that to go in.

the reason why we dont have this in the uk is due to our stupid health and safety regs, my family used to have a fuel station and new / used car dealership and we were always forced to remove thi from any new fuel pumps that we ever had installed if you look on the filler nozzel on the pump there are 4 small hoiles that are supposed to allow a pice of locking wire that would let us have this very usefull feature, i think the logic behind it is that we have to conciously squeeze the nozzes to allow any fuel to be dispensed and should the automatic shut off not work then there wont be a large fuel spill over the forcourt

Just put a nail or anything that will fit in the holes and you can do this , the hook is still there .

Add a split pin to the keyring beside your car key and you have the perfect tool .

I have a sneaking suspicion that if you wedge the pump open and it does fail to stop and overflows (unlikely I suspect) then you could be on the sharp end of a law suit as your actions could be deemed to have caused it.

I always thought they were made illegal for safety reasons as they disappeared from all pumps about the same time.

I filled up but the pump had a limit to the amount it would charge my card (pay at pump) so I had to stop, it would have taken a bit more!
It does take a "little" while, you notice people driving in after you, filling, paying and driving off before you'e finished! Plus you have to squeeze the trigger quite hard so sometimes makes my hand ache, or is that me being a wimp?! :D
fuel.jpg

Last edited:
Down in our neck of the woods, the petrol pumps have buttons for different amounts of fuel eg 10, 15, 20 euros etc etc.

The fella (usually a George) sticks the nozzle in the filler neck, presses the 20 euros button, for example, and stands back whilst having a fag and a chit-chat.

Excellent.

Last edited:
Down in our neck of the woods, the petrol pumps have buttons for different amounts of fuel eg 10, 15, 20 euros etc etc.

The fella (usually a George) sticks the nozzle in the filler neck presses 20 euros for example, and stands back whilst having a fag and a chit-chat.

Excellent.

Sounds like a superb idea! I want. I want.

the other option is to always have a passenger over 16..... my mum used that trick..... pull up at the station "out you get!"

Shell and BP

Pumps in this country used to have this facility, but no longer.

I suspect it's because the pump auto shut-off may not be 100% reliable and there is a small chance a small overflow may occur. This would put the pump out of action until the spill was cleaned, and may also get m'learned friends involved as someone's trousers and shoes got splashed.

Shell and BP were the last to withdraw them I think it is a pity because it was useful. I'm also pretty sure it was that H & S that got them removed.

Me too, but people always look at me funny when i'm standing around with my hands in my pockets!:D

Same here - they think I am day dreaming and not filling up the car!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom