Re-installing Windows XP from a partition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
My laptop (Dell Inspiron 6400) is 2 years old and becoming slower and less stable. So I think a clean install of Windows XP should improve things.

The HD came with a 'hidden' partition with Windows XP on it. Since owning the laptop I have also partitioned the C drive to make a C drive for the OS and software only and a D drive for all my files.

Dell say reinstalling XP from the partition will restore the laptop to its as-delivered status.

But I'd like to know whether this will automatically merge the C and D drive before installing XP, or as I hope, just recognise the C drive and install XP there?

Does anyone know?

I have RTFM but it's not very clear, to me at least.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I can't give you a 100% guaranteed answer, but in theory what is known now as C:\ and D:\ should remain following the reinstall. I don't think the XP installer does anything with the partition definitions.

However, it probably goes without saying (sorry again if so!) that a good backup of everything onto a USB drive or similar will prevent any disasters if the XP install doesn't give quite the expected results.

Should have added:

I also understand that you will also have to reinstall all your programs and applications again as the XP install will create a new (or effectively overwrite) your C:\Program Files folder, and you get a brand new Registry so you will start from scratch with that too.

How's your battery Will? I have same laptop*, battery is pretty woeful now

Shocking! It lasts maybe 10-15 minutes :(
I've been meaning to buy an Ebay replacement for a while. My father bought one a short while ago and was happy with the result, so it's just a case of pulling the digit out and doing it.

I also understand that you will also have to reinstall all your programs and applications again as the XP install will create a new (or effectively overwrite) your C:\Program Files folder, and you get a brand new Registry so you will start from scratch with that too.

Yes that's my inderstanding too. I don't mind that so much as it will make me think again about some of the software I have installed. That should also help with the speed and stability issues, I hope.

From what I can gather the 9-cell is pointless, stick with the 6-cell

Anyway, I deleted my OS files from the 'D'-drive :eek: so goodness knows what I would do assuming I need a reinstall :rolleyes:

As said above though, partitions should remain assuming a reinstall of XP as described

Back up your registry, back up your files, your C:\Program files directory and your user directories and then you can do what you like.

Easiest thing to do is take a ghost of the entire disk.

With the above backed up you can get back to where you were regardless of what the dell restore disk does.

You'll be amased how fast your inspiron will be again with a fresh uncluttered image.

Batteries can actually be dissasembled (with a bit of a fight). You can change the original cells and reassemble again for peanuts as long as you arent concerned on the cosmetics of the battery pack as you'll make a bit of a mess taking it apart. You can even upgrade the cells to Lithium ones if you're feeling like an upgrade :cool:

OEM batteries are close on £100 and tyopically last about 200 charges before starting to degrade.

Hi folks,

HOLD EVERYTHING!

My understanding, based on numerous Dell laptops, is that this restore procedure will wipe everything except the Restore partition.

So using arbitrary figures, you originally had a 230Gb C: partition, with a 10Gb Restore partition.

You then subsequently split into a 100Gb C: partition, a new 130Gb D: partition and the 10Gb Restore partition.

Using Dell's restore procedure will - I believe - leave you with a shiny new 230Gb C: partition and the same old 10Gb Restore partition. It can only do this by completely wiping your existing C and D partitions.

As highlighted earlier in the thread, back up - to independent media - anything that you want before kicking off the restore...

Sorry if overly wordy, I'm enjoying a nice bottle of Chenin Blanc with Mrs E and watching a Sky Plussed (and somewhat non-plussed) "Doc Martin"...

Cheers,
Eddie

Hi folks,

HOLD EVERYTHING!

My understanding, based on numerous Dell laptops, is that this restore procedure will wipe everything except the Restore partition.

So using arbitrary figures, you originally had a 230Gb C: partition, with a 10Gb Restore partition.

You then subsequently split into a 100Gb C: partition, a new 130Gb D: partition and the 10Gb Restore partition.

Using Dell's restore procedure will - I believe - leave you with a shiny new 230Gb C: partition and the same old 10Gb Restore partition. It can only do this by completely wiping your existing C and D partitions.

As highlighted earlier in the thread, back up - to independent media - anything that you want before kicking off the restore...

Sorry if overly wordy, I'm enjoying a nice bottle of Chenin Blanc with Mrs E and watching a Sky Plussed (and somewhat non-plussed) "Doc Martin"...

Cheers,
Eddie

The above is certainly true of Dell Lattitudes well my D420 at least, you get the restore partition left untouched and a nice new clean C drive completely wipes everything else,so would assume Dell use the same on the Inspiron's ?

Dell System Restore will delete any other partitons and reinstall - so it won't "merge" C: & D: it will delete them and then create a single C: partition using the maximum available HDD space and install the image onto that.

ooh sorry Will, I misread your original post :rolleyes:

Agree with the latter advice above, I thought you were referring to the original C and D configuration, it didn't register with me initially that you had created your own partition, sorry :eek: :eek:

Mind you, I could be wrong :p

Last edited:
As above the reinstall will blat the disk and re partition it as C: thus removing EVERYTHING. If your machine comes with a hidden partition containing the reinstall you generally wont be able to get any disks from the manufacturer, hope that helps ;)

I cant see how just a re-install of the OS will speed things up noticeably.
Have you tried running defrag?
If not, then I suspect that may give speedier processing.
Another consideration is that as the hard disk fills up and gets to anything over about 75% full, the PC will slow down regardless of anything else anyway.
XP is probably the most stable of all the MS platforms. Certainly better than Vista.

Last edited:
I cant see how just a re-install of the OS will speed things up noticeably.
Have you tried running defrag?
If not, then I suspect that may give speedier processing.
Another consideration is that as the hard disk fills up and gets to anything over about 75% full, the PC will slow down regardless of anything else anyway.
XP is probably the most stable of all the MS platforms. Certainly better than Vista.

I find that after 2 years of installing and uninstalling software the OS seems to become slower to boot and shut down. Shutting down only happens after asking it twice.

Chrome and IE also crash on a weekly bases for me. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling those browsers but it makes no difference.

Both of my HD partitions are approx. 75% full and regularly defragmented.

I still dont think its the OS thats slowing things down.

Are you absolutely sure you dont have any malware thats installed itself on your PC?
Normal AV software often doesnt detect or remove malware.

Download the free version of Malwarebytes anti-malware program from here.......
Malwarebytes.org
and see if it makes a difference.
Many people dont realise their machine is infected and the only symptom is that everything slows down..........
Worth trying.
I scan my PC with this at least once a week just to be safe.

Will, have you run C Cleaner that tends to clear a load of old residue out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom