Real leather or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tonykirt72

Car
Mercedes E320 cdi sport
How do I tell if my E320 early 07 has real leather or fake leather, got loads of leather cleaner and treatments from a previous car but don't know if I need it for this car or not, thanks

The data card will reveal all. If leather it will be sealed with a PU coating so conditioners are not required and routine cleaning can be done with a damp cloth, or if badly soiled a proprietary leather cleaner will work, as would a wool detergent solution.
If vinyl, simply use a damp cloth.

what am I looking for? just decoded vin and got 820A - AMARETTA/LEATHER/NAPPA/SEMI-ANILINE and 821A - AMARETTA/LEATHER/NAPPA/SEMI-ANILINE - BLACK/ANTH, what does that mean? does it mean it's real leather or not? Thanks

what am I looking for? just decoded vin and got 820A - AMARETTA/LEATHER/NAPPA/SEMI-ANILINE and 821A - AMARETTA/LEATHER/NAPPA/SEMI-ANILINE - BLACK/ANTH, what does that mean? does it mean it's real leather or not? Thanks

That means Nappa leather... which is very real... and also very good quality :thumb:

But Amaretta is PVC , not leather...

So looks like a mix of real leather and fake leather? Do the seat bolsters have different texture to the seat cushion?

Last edited:
no all looks same texture, wondering what the fake is then?

I thinks it means that most of it is leather (the seats etc), but some bits are fake leather (e.g. door cards etc?).

Yes, even cars with nappa leather have some synthetic leather in areas outside of direct view, which aren't touched, and sometimes in areas which are likely to become worn quickly.

Whether you have real or synthetic leather, you don't really need anything more than a damp microfibres cloth. By the same token, using the stuff you have won't really do any harm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom