Real world MPG - 350 CGI vs 500 vs E63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sounds as if I'm not the only one debating over what to buy next to meet multiple and conflicting requirements. My S212 350CDi has averaged 32mpg over the last 4 years, including lots of local trips, several trips through Europe from France to Portugal and all the general stuff we all do. But I am being tempted by an S350L, if I can lose the estate luggage capacity and oooh! I've just seen a really nice S500L and it's only £10k over budget!!!!

This might be a bit heretical, but when I was in the market for a large estate with a mid-range petrol engine, these were the options that I was considering:

BMW 550i (E60 as they possibly didn't offer the F10 estate with a V8)
BMW 535

I did vaguely think about a Bimmer - the other week I found myself wondering if they did the twin turbo out of the 335i in an F10 but no they didn't. Then I remembered a BINI I once tried on runflats, shuddered and came running back in this direction

E500 5.5 (S211 or S212)
E350 CGI

I got lucky in the end and found the 'hen's tooth' but it took quite a while.

WOW. A 212 E500. Astonishing. Thought they'd binned the 500 by that point. Anyway, I'm sure you've enjoyed your time with it and would love to move on and sell it to me.

Hello?

Hello?

Click. Brrrrrrrrrrr.

Last edited:
From my experiance in terms of real world driving MPG, I did a run from Kent to Leeds last week in the CL63

On the way there with lots of traffic 22.8 MPG and 5 hours 30 mins

On the way back on a clear run 258 mis, 4 hours 4 mins - 24.8 mpg with an avg of 63mph and just over half a tank down

From my old E320 i would get about 31mpg on the same run

My CL500 would get about 27-8 mpg

Thanks Andy - confirming what I'd suspected.

There is also the rare E500 Biturbo to consider
Almost AMG performance without AMG running costs
I run a 2012 E500 Coupe and still loving it 4 years on

I found myself wondering if they did the twin turbo out of the 335i in an F10 but no they didn't. Then I remembered a BINI I once tried on runflats, shuddered and came running back in this direction

They do offer the F10 with the twin turbo engine from the 335i: there's one for sale now (albeit a nearly new and costly one): BMW 5 SERIES TOURING 3.0 535i M Sport Touring 5dr. I know what you mean about the runflats though: I used to have a Z4 and didn't enjoy the ride quality.

WOW. A 212 E500. Astonishing. Thought they'd binned the 500 by that point. Anyway, I'm sure you've enjoyed your time with it and would love to move on and sell it to me.

There were just under 200 E500 sold from 2009 to 2012, but judging by what pops up on Autotrader most would seem to be the coupe or cabrio. I have seen just 2 other S212 E500 listed on Autotrader over the last 3 years.

I've had it for less than 18 months so far and am still enjoying it too much to sell! I am sure I will be selling it for next to nothing in the end though, judging by the value that S210 and S211 E500s now achieve.

There is also the rare E500 Biturbo to consider
Almost AMG performance without AMG running costs
I run a 2012 E500 Coupe and still loving it 4 years on

Great car! I am fairly sure that engine was never offered in the W212 and S212 though, which is a shame, it would be great.

By the way about 40 of these 4.7TT coupes and cabrios were sold, they do come up on Autotrader from time to time.

Ta

Well some people do like the low down grunt of the diesel and I get that - I don't dislike the V6 CDI, I was actually planning to get one in January until the London pollution measures began to get more publicised.

But the real reason is surely that the majority are bought new on company car schemes and having the BIK thing linked to CO2 just killed mid-range petrols stone dead.

I'm old enough to remember just choosing the car with the best spec/highest power/largest engine for a company car.

When the govt cracked down on that I just did what my colleagues did; dropped out of the scheme and walked into a dealer armed with an allowance and a fuel card and bought something with a massive (petrol) engine.

Nobody EVER thought "Oh, I know I'll get a diesel......".

AMG V8's aren't exactly down on low end grunt. My N/A 5.4 was dyno'd at msl last week and was pulling almost 400lbs/ft at 2800rpm.

Move out of ****y London and get a AMG. Makes the most sense.:rock:

My wife nearly managed to get the family to move out a couple of years ago.

My price for moving was going to be an SL55.

I made that very clear.

AMG V8's aren't exactly down on low end grunt. My N/A 5.4 was dyno'd at msl last week and was pulling almost 400lbs/ft at 2800rpm.

That's impressive.

And given the choice that would be my configuration of choice. A large, naturally-aspirated V8 petrol.

A 212 E500 estate to be precise.

The 350 is just a V8 with a couple of cylinders de-activated. Permanently :-(

Bird of a feather flock together....

They do offer the F10 with the twin turbo engine from the 335i: there's one for sale now (albeit a nearly new and costly one): BMW 5 SERIES TOURING 3.0 535i M Sport Touring 5dr. I know what you mean about the runflats though: I used to have a Z4 and didn't enjoy the ride quality.

I had the twin turbo 335i with normal tyres, Birds suspension & Quaiffe LSD for before I switched to the E500 & SL500 combo.

Even with the regular tyres and Birds suspension mods the suspension / ride quality of the 335i was still too annoying on English roads.

Lovely, lovely engine though which almost made up for the (3 series) lack of.... presence.

Last edited:
"Move out of London and get yourself an AMG"

Move out of ****y London and get a AMG. Makes the most sense.:rock:

From Hail Caesar: "Would that it were so simple......"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGpsXuMvApo

hail-caesar.jpg

It's wives that choose homes, not husbands....

I'd have a home in the South of France and a commute on derestricted, but well-managed, empty German Autobahnen.

From Hail Caesar: "Would that it were so simple......"

It's wives that choose homes, not husbands....

I've managed to avoid a move out of town on a few occasions and I'm glad.

My job involves spending a lot of time in the city and I'm just a short tube ride/bike ride away from the action.

Work/life balance and all that.

Plus, 28+ years in I still find the place fascinating with tons to do on the doorstep.

Other lifestyles choices are, of course, available.

My 2012 C350 petrol (306bhp) saloon returns around 38mpg on a decent run of mainly motorways. Local urban journeys of just a mile or two from cold and it struggles to get over 20mpg. But I doubt that many diesels could better that. At a steady 50mph it shows 50mpg - but that's the max on the "Manhattan" chart so possibly even better. At (ahem) 70mph it's around 40 to 45mpg.

The exhaust note during acceleration is magnificent without being intrusive. The engine is delightfully smooth and very quiet. Even the road fund licence being a group G is only currently £185 a year. I've had five great years with my car and aim to have a lot more.

My 2012 C350 petrol (306bhp) saloon returns around 38mpg on a decent run of mainly motorways. Local urban journeys of just a mile or two from cold and it struggles to get over 20mpg. But I doubt that many diesels could better that.

The school run 4x4 diesels round my my guzzle fuel on their short runs.

At a steady 50mph it shows 50mpg - At (ahem) 70mph it's around 40 to 45mpg.

Excellent

The exhaust note during acceleration is magnificent without being intrusive. The engine is delightfully smooth and very quiet .

When I recently test drove one it sounded excellent on fast idle and then silky smooth on the go

Even the road fund licence being a group G is only currently £185 a year.

Wow. Cheap as chips.

I want one.

They did make the 550i in F11 guise, i think only 2 were registered in the UK.

I tried it in the saloon guise and it was pretty impressive. 450hp and 650nm.
It was proper quick in a very understated way, and returned good MPG too.

I get 35mpg from my e350 cgi on a run, but 32 is more realistic and you will get that without having to think about it at all.

T
I get 35mpg from my e350 cgi on a run, but 32 is more realistic and you will get that without having to think about it at all.

I'd be happy with that.

Am on gardening leave at the moment. Just waiting for a job offer to come in and I can get one.

What do you mean there aren't any?

Mpg / C350 petrol Estate

Used_Mercedes_Benz_2011_Grey_Estate_Petrol_Automatic_for_Sale_in_Kent_UK.jpg

I never understand these "on a good run" figures. So what if you get such and such when you're driving to the Mother in Law's and don't want to get there in a hurry?

Surely the only way to judge mpg is on a months usage, or by looking at a range on Fueelly.com and working out where you fit?

But, anyway, the real reason for posting is to agree that the C350 petrol is a fab car. - with a caveat

I looked for a petrol Mercedes Estate for about six months before giving up on the C350 because there was nothing available. It's a snug car compared to the E class, and it's built to a different budget, but for most people it ticks all the boxes.

There might be a few hundred diesel C350 Estates in the country , but the petrol C350 estates can only be counted in their tens.

Wretched SUV's taking all the new car five-door sales....

Last edited:
I never understand these "on a good run" figures. So what if you get such and such when you're driving to the Mother in Law's and don't want to get there in a hurry?

I do lots of runs though, this week from Norwich it has been, London Monday, Birmingham Tuesday, Brixton yesterday and then it is Solihull Sunday.

It matters quite a bit to me what a car gets on a run at say 85mph, as many get crap MPG doing this if they are not geared right, often worse than I get just pootling around.

I can squeeze close to 600 miles from a tankful out of the E350cgi if I am steady and 500+ not caring.

Also, remember, on a run in a petrol is anything over 2 miles, on a run in a diesel is anything over about 15 miles, quite a difference. Obviously depending where you live. ;)

My average in the E350cdi was 33mpg over the time I had it, my average in the E350cgi is currently 29mpg, (29.4 to be precise) but if you ask me again at the end of the summer I bet it will be over 30 again.

On a run matters, if you do lots of runs, saves the hassle of filling up all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom