Real World Ownership of a W220

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Really been struggling with time to do anything on the car but finally gave her a good wipe down and treated all the door and window rubbers.

I have found a donor car which has telephone, TV tuner, linguatronic, rear tables and another piece I need for a project.

Don't know if I'll really find time to swap the parts over.
All I would need over that is distronic and it would have pretty much every option, including some that are rarely seen on the AMGs and V12s.

Lots of ideas, little time!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20150627_165239.jpg
    ForumRunner_20150627_165239.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 34
With ABC and a twin turbo V12 it's virtually a different car! Mine is just a glorified taxi and yours is a bahnstorming Ferrari killer.

Your being to harsh. The S320's were and still are great cars. If seen some with mental mileage on them and still going strong.

Would be good to get every option in on yours. I find it baffling that whoever bought mine new didn't add distronic, or even self closing boot, or at least keyless go! The one thing it has got though which I love is the rear TV. It's awesome! The rear tables weren't an option on the AMG's, but I think they are great.

Next donor car has arrived.
12 cylinders and 2 turbos, yet all I want is the exclusive leather interior.

This thread has cursed me I think.

- One of my rear door blinds has been getting a bit sticky. Need to either take it apart or just replace it with the one in this S600 donor car.

- Drivers front keyless go button has stopped working.

- A light rattle is starting at the front end.

This weekend will hopefully rectify these issues.

Hi V12, A great read I am looking forward to your next instalment already. On your response 21 above you refer to treating the door and window rubbers, what with please.

Hi V12, A great read I am looking forward to your next instalment already. On your response 21 above you refer to treating the door and window rubbers, what with please.

I used to use vaseline before I knew better.

Vaseline did a reasonable job but needed reapplication monthly at least.

This Gummi Pflege (rubber care) on the other hand I apply twice a year to my vehicles and it works wonders. Only tip for using is make sure that the piece in question is thoroughly clean before applying. I use a toothbrush to scrub the dirt out of the seals and especially around the base of the window glass etc.
Einszett Gummi Pflege Rubber Care Stick - 100ml Silicon Free for Car Seals | eBay

pLW0xJs7KDJRfukCT9WAbIp-KFWJfkHmLDdWfB5OrWoo=w1274-h955-no

Up to date picture from Sunday. I actually think the W220 is starting to age well? I must be crazy!

Any thoughts on de-badging? I used to be a big fan, but i'm not so sure these days...

Had the car up on the ramp quickly on Friday before a long trip out to west wales to visit family.

Front end rattle could not be located! It is very light and I seem to be the only one that can hear it but it annoys me. Only there at speeds around 30mph.

Rear tyres are now just almost touching the wear markers so must change this week or next.

Usual Bank holiday traffic so it was a 5 hour non stop trip each way.
The W220 S320cdi is the ideal car to load up with luggage and the family and set the cruise control to 75mph.
A fair amount of stationary traffic made a dent to the impressive MPG figures as well as the average speed and the time taken.
I have previously done the same trip in under 4 hours and achieved 56mpg just with the cruise control on.

I filled up this morning and the total trip cost £60, including 220 miles each way there and back and 100 miles of local-ish very hilly driving once we were out there. 540miles and you can see how much is still left in the tank.

Despite how impressive the car is on journeys like this, my 3 year old was the star of the show. Sat up front with me without any electronic distraction devices at all, no complaints and wide awake for the whole 5 hours. No toilet break needed either. A few puzzle and colouring books and plenty of car spotting along the way.

His training has begun.

The other vehicles that made the trip out to the family event from this area were an R320cdi (30mpg in the same traffic and journey) and W221 S320cdi (36mpg but also left later and drove faster).

Some of the tight twisty B roads up there are a challenge for the length, width and body roll of the W220, highlighting one of the very few weaknesses the car has. Luckily for me I rarely drive on such roads.
Fast A roads, Motorways and town driving is where this car lives and excels day to day.

Last edited:
Still enjoying a really interesting thread and so informative too. :)

Excellent, great news.
I managed 35.8 mpg on a 398 mile trip in 6.5 hr earlier on this summer in my S500L, while using speed limiter. I am looking forward to this continuing and possibly improving as the miles continue to build on the car.

Would be great to hear all about your new acquisition.

pLW0xJs7KDJRfukCT9WAbIp-KFWJfkHmLDdWfB5OrWoo=w1274-h955-no

Up to date picture from Sunday. I actually think the W220 is starting to age well? I must be crazy!

Any thoughts on de-badging? I used to be a big fan, but i'm not so sure these days...
Even though at times Mercedes seem to be all over with the designs of their lower models, I genuinelly can't think of an S-Class salon or coupe of any generation that's not aged well, although I think of the W220 as the first of the 'modern' Mercedes after the W140, it really does look pure class.

My only gripe with them has/was the extensive use of light woods like walnut which I have a pathological hatred of, otherwise I'd have owned more that one W220 in my time.

Unbelievable journey from Southampton to Staines on Saturday.

Long stretches of 50mph average speed check zones on the M3 and general heavy traffic kept me travelling at 40-60mph for the whole journey. A couple of slow 10mph bits before Winchester which probably didn't help the mpg either.

Ideal conditions really. 4 people on board, little luggage, outside temp over 20 degrees, which always seems to make a big difference.

The figure was still rising on the M25 which also had the variable speed limit at 50mph.

On the return journey I set the cruise control at 80 in between the 50mph zones and returned a trip mpg of 51.2mpg.

I quite often see over 50mpg on a run in mine, really impressed with it!

Long overdue update. Car is in winter mode. 17" W221 wheels and Pirelli winter tyres.
I put them on quite a while ago before the short cold snap came.
The car has noticeable tyre noise compared to the wider, lower profile 18" Continental summer tyres. Surprising to go from old, very worn tyres on to new, fresh rubber and experience this. Gave it plenty of miles to let the tyres bed in but still has it. Mildly annoying.

Didn't need the winter tyres after all, but I had them from another car anyway so thought I'd use them seeing as my summer tyres were due for a change.

Not much of a difference in steering feel or ride comfort between the wheels which did surprise me.

Since the last update I had one intermittent issue with the left hand indicator that would sometimes flash double speed in the dash cluster but outside all bulbs were functioning and at normal speed. I noticed the left rear indicator bulb was slightly dim, so changed it for a new bulb and issue sorted.

Aside from that, the car continues to be flawlessly reliable.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom