Realistic price for my COMMAND unit in a 51, E class?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

After Shock

Car
E320 CDI 320 Estate. AMG wheels
I'm tempted down the Alpine/Kenwood double din route!

So what would be a sensible price for my COMMAND unit? With 2008 update sat nav disk??

I assume your car is a 210 . The problem with Comand retro fits on 210 is the cost of replacing the wood trim pannel , so this can make selling the Comand unit more difficult IMHO

The cars with Comand have a double DIN opening , the cars without have a single DIN opening

Probably be worth about £250-300 if sold on its own. The disc should be sold separately to get best price. They cost just over £100 new so I guess you would get about half the price back.

Get a kenwood, I love mine :)

£230+ for the disc!! ouch!

Really? OUCH! I thought they were less than half that. I need one but would be allergic to that sort of price. A pair of modern TomToms could be bought for that sort of money, which are (let's face it) much better navigation systems.

What don't you like about Comand? I've never owned one (but soon will) and expect it'll get used mainly as a radio as I already have a serviceable TomTom.

Ian.

Google tele atlas then pick out your car make and model new discs are £114 for the whole of europe.
£230 prob mb price.

Lynall

Google tele atlas then pick out your car make and model new discs are £114 for the whole of europe.
£230 prob mb price.

I did some reading up. £114 is about the right price for the Teleatlas DX discs (new). £230 is about right for the DVD versions.

In a W210 with Comand 2.0, a DX disc (CD) is used, for the later ones (W211 etc) with Comand APS fitted, they use the DVD.

I'm a bit too tight to pay out for the latest disc, so I'll keep an eye out for a 'last year's' one. I would be happy to pay if the prices were closer to the TomTom rates of approx £35 per year. No wonder so many people end up with copied discs.

Ian.

With DX disks, the following happens: -

The data (for Europe) is made by Teleatlas.
Teleatlas (via its distributors, such as comand online) make available a disk set for around £114 that has 2 disks, the country disk and the "major roads of western europe"
A long time ago they also made a disk with the Michelin guide on it aswell (travel guide) but no longer.

Teleatlas do special versions for MB.. They do one for MB with UK disk with the travel guide on it (can't remember if it is Michelin or another) - they only sell those to MB and MB charge silly money for them. They also sell the Major Roads of Western Europe as a separate (i.e not included with the main disk) disk which MB also sell for a hefty price.

When it comes to the newer DVDs, the motor manafacturers also insist the disk is only made available to them - i.e so no after market supply. VW seems to be the one of the few that don't do this. But Audi do for instance.

Richard

Richard

Oh dear Oh dear oh dear etc etc

deep sigh!!

yes I paid MB dealership prices as at that time I was not on here! grrrrrr

live n learn!

Now as regards stuff to do with the 911 I'm switched on but hey ho!

I like the command unit. Love the count down on dash. The way the radio quietens as the sat nav takes over.

Its just a tad dated now in size and post code reading and ipod interface!

Compared to a kenwood/alpine unit obviously the difference is huge. But thats technology!

Oh dear what to do!

I am a great fan of genuine installed sat nav and make sure every car i have owned has sat-nav built in ( i really do need sat nav anyway) but i must admit the alpine route has appealed to me....its such a major change to how the dash would like...i would really need to see an aftermarket unit fitted first, the command in my w211 just looks so "right" but i do agree that tom-toms etc are better.

Agreed, about 6-8 years ago, the factory Comand was right up there, but being a fixture, has dated much more than the cars they have been fitted to IMO. When you think you could buy a brand new TomTom for less than the map update disc costs each year on the less capable factory unit, there's almost a case for giving away said TomTom and getting the next year's model with new features and a new map every couple of years.

Ian.

As has been said ....... technology has moved on so much my Command looks so outdated. Works pritty well .. but!!!

Love how it combines with the whole car too.....

Apparently £3500 as a factory fit?? Phew!

As has been said ....... technology has moved on so much my Command looks so outdated. Works pritty well .. but!!!

Love how it combines with the whole car too.....

Apparently £3500 as a factory fit?? Phew!

That's the whole point - it's well integrated so you make allowances for some of the weaknesses. Comand (w210 generation) was one of only a few that gave on-screen mapping at the time, so it's dated, but not a chocolate teapot yet by any means.

Ian.

Any updates on this?

I'm thinking of replCing my comand in my 2002 w210 with Bose and comand with a double din unit.

You may want to do a search and find some threads about the same topic that aren't coming up for their fifth birthday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom