Reality Check / Unbiased advice ML

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flango

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes SLK R171
I'm seeking advice yet again this time on the ML, seems like all my family want to change their car at the moment and my Niece needs a family wagon to acommadate the troop and with a track up to their house a 4x4 is useful so is looking at us trying to source an ML of 2000- 2002 vintage. Now I had a 1999 T reg and along with it came a very bad ownership experience, Mercedes Sheffield had it more than I did, countless problems with electrics and front suspension. Most of the ones we see through the business are with suspension issues but nothing really bad considering the age and mileage of some of the vehicles.

So I am after a bit of a reality check are these vehicles as bad as I remember or are my memories tainted by just one poor vehicle and I assume them all to be the same.

I would welcome opinions of anyone who as run one as to any common issues, what repairs have you had, how reliable has it been and what is the realworld mpg of the 320 & 430

As always all opinions welcome and thanks in advance

Ian

I have mine for sale. 2001 Face lifted. Very good mechanical condition.

Give me a call if you are interested.

It has been a brilliant car overall.

I have mine for sale. 2001 Face lifted. Very good mechanical condition.

Give me a call if you are interested.

It has been a brilliant car overall.

Cheers Olly. Is yours not a diesel though? I'm after a 320 or 430 petrol (not my choice :))

Cheers

I would go for the facelift version from 2002 onwards. Some where built in Austria and some in America - mine is American!

I think I am in the same position as your neice, family, lots of stuff to carry, light off road usage.

I have a 270CDI uprated to 220BHP (thoroughly recommend doing this!) - The 163BHP basic form is slow and struggles up hills a bit.

Usefulness - 8 out of 10 (Although it is big, there are some people carriers and smaller 4 x 4's with better and more flexible capacity)

Economy - 7 out of 10 (A Honda CRV diesel or Nissan X-Trail will do better on MPG, but with a higher buying cost - I get about 36 mpg on a run and about 30 mpg around town)

Reliability - 8 out of 10 (rear springs are weak and expensive to replace, no major issues, but stay on top of servicing and maint)

Value - 9 out of 10 (Good value secondhand buy as they are cheap)

Costs - (budget for disks and pads every year, tyres are £120 a go, main service on the 270 is about £250 with a B service at about £150. Insurance cost for myself and my wife is about £400 per year - tracker is also installed in ours)

I think I would have preferred a Honda CRV diesel 4 x 4 (the 2.2 one) as I think they are just an all round better vehicle, but you have to pay a premium for one with a few luxuries. Our ML has the full lux pack, so, it is quite well loaded with toys including bluetooth and a DVD system.

So, in reality - I would buy one again and would not regret it.

Common issues I can think of: Rear springs, corrosion.

320 and 430, I have no idea on MPG, but I would be looking for a LPG converted one.

£7k or £8k will get you a tidy 270CDI facelift model with moderate mileage. Depends on your budget I guess.

Don't get the petrol ML's fit a tuning box ton the diesel and then they fly. The fuel economy is frankly terrible and they go through cats like nothing else.

Don't get the petrol ML's fit a tuning box ton the diesel and then they fly. The fuel economy is frankly terrible and they go through cats like nothing else.

Cheers will have a chat to them and come back to you :thumb:

IIRC 320 was replaced with 350 in 2003 and 430 with 500 in 2001. I would get one as close to MY04-05 as possible though. They seem to have major issues of earlier models sorted. Inspiration Edition (03+) are nice(r) spec'd cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom