really frustrated

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeffreyli86

Car
94' W124 E220, 96' VW Golf VR6
Hey all.

Apparently I am experiencing a problem with my ignition cylinder (or whatever you call it ) :confused: .. I did search through old posts on several mercedes forums and I decided to change the ignition cylinder :bannana: .

Anyway, to cut it short, I bought a new replacement cylinder :rock: . However, I have no idea about what tool I should use to plug into the two small holes (cux you need to do that in order to loose the cylinder) .

So, my question is, do any experienced members know what I should use ? Also, any advise about the procedure (e.g. what I should pay special attention to)?

Attached are pics of the tool just incase you don't know what I am talking about
ig5.jpg

tool.jpg

Pics are originally from Ian B Walker (hope you don't mind mate).

Thanks,
Jeff

P.S. Sorry for cross posting in another forum. I noticed that members are rather different so decided to cross post.

I made my tool from some 2mm welding wire and filed the ends to a chamfer. They can be a little tricky to extract but with some patience and some twiddling they eventually come free. Be careful removing the plastic cover as the lugs can break quite easily. Remember to turn the key to position 1 before inserting the tool and then push, pull the key and the tool at the same time. Good luck and I hope this has helped.

Problem solved

Ian.
You've been REALLY helpful. I managed to do extract the ignition cylinder with several tries. :bannana:
I ended up using two 2mm allen keys and filing them down to a sharp end because I couldn't get hold of any other tool at 8pm (I'm in Hong Kong).
One point that I would like to discuss is that, I reckon that you would not have to push onto the tool while you are pulling onto the key. This is because I noticed that there is some kind of clip that, if you insert the tool correctly, will free up the ignition cylinder simply through a pull on the key. This is most probably just a one off thing on my car or I was lucky :D

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help.. Without your "How-To" guide, I would've paid an extra 30quid for labour. :rock:

Jeff

Glad I was able to help.........result :bannana: :bannana:

its great when you get the job done and no trip to the stealership needed

Yes! The labour would've costed around 30quid.. I'd rather spend that on petrol since it is about 94p per litre here in HK..

Anyway, Ian, would you mind if I posted your HOWTO guide on the mbworld forum? Members there are questioning about the process.

Thanks
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom