Really getting pxxxxd of with drivers speeding up when I overtake.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PhiliusM

I'm driving down the A3 tonight on cruise at 70MPH. The road is pretty quiet. Any cars that I catch up, I indicate in plenty of time and pull out to overtake. I must have had at least half a dozen people speed up as I got level with them. I had one guy speed up so I dropped in behind him, he slowed down again. Boot hard down, out round him and back to 70.

Why do they do it?

Another irritating driving style is someone steaming up in an outside lane and then slow down when they get close, only to crawl past, then accelerate away.

Some odd driving styles on the roads

Another irritating driving style is someone steaming up in an outside lane and then slow down when they get close, only to crawl past, then accelerate away.

That is probably to allow them to see if the car they are overtaking is an unmarked police car.

They measure your speed when behind you.

That is probably to allow them to see if the car they are overtaking is an unmarked police car.

They measure your speed when behind you.

Hadn't thought of that one.

Perhaps that's why I've been done twice by unmarked cars :rolleyes:

Must pay more attention!

Many a time when on cruise along on dual carriageways I've had people come past me then pull in front and slow down. Bloomin' annoying. I've never thought that perhaps they think I'm an unmarked copper in an unmarked car! :doh:

They have no throttle control/awareness of speed and surroundings.Or they think you are a german warlord pig:)

Watched a panamera doing this on the M3 yesterday around basingstoke. Then after the speed fluctuation he started weaving around his lane eventually crossing the lines and forcing a white transit to take evasive action.
I finally passed him (also cruise on at 70mph)
What was he doing...two hands on his phone whilst driving with his wrists...probably tweeting or some other rubbish.

Have witnessed this kind of driving a few times now. It always looks like a drunk driver at first!

I use cruise control a lot and it's quite normal to have to pass/re-pass people. Most drivers slow down for even the slightest curve (motorways aren't known for tight bends so there's no reason for this ... must be subconscious?) and slow down on any incline.

Had this the other day on a country B road.

A new small Citroen was pootling along at 35ish, I followed for a mile or so, not tailgating or flashing lights or doing anything untoward at all.

We came to a straight & I unleashed the awesome torque of the turbo diesel planning to sail past. Matey in Citroen takes exception & decides he'd like to have a drag race while another car is approaching in the lane I was in.

WTF is that all about?

Another regular issue I find is coming up behind someone in the 3rd lane that is barely overtaking a truck at 60mph. As soon as they pull in to allow you past they speed up again to 70mph or even more!

Many a time when on cruise along on dual carriageways I've had people come past me then pull in front and slow down. Bloomin' annoying. I've never thought that perhaps they think I'm an unmarked copper in an unmarked car! :doh:

Wait a minute....so you are driving a Mercedes and speeders think you are an unmarked patrol car? Do the police in the UK drive MB's ??? When I was there on holiday I saw land rovers/ bmws/volvos/US imports/Jaguars...but not a single Mercedes Benz why is that??? If they can afford to get a Jaguar they surly can get the MB/AMG right?

https://www.google.com/search?q=uk+...MgN&sqi=2&ved=0CCoQsAQ&biw=1183&bih=561&dpr=1

Had this the other day on a country B road.

A new small Citroen was pootling along at 35ish, I followed for a mile or so, not tailgating or flashing lights or doing anything untoward at all.

We came to a straight & I unleashed the awesome torque of the turbo diesel planning to sail past. Matey in Citroen takes exception & decides he'd like to have a drag race while another car is approaching in the lane I was in.

WTF is that all about?

Possibly 'innocent' in that there are a fair few people around who drive very slowly where there are bends etc. but speed up a lot on the straights (making it hard to get past). But of course there are to$$ers about who simply don't want to let you get in front. I had an elderly gent in a BMW 5 series estate (with wife in the passenger seat) take exception to being overtaken at a set of traffic lights - he floored it as the two lanes merged back into one and there would have been an accident if I hadn't stood on the brakes. Having got in front again he then crawled along at well below the limit as he'd been doing before.

Similar but opposite thing annoys me.

Someone overtakes me on the motorway - I normally like to cruise at 60 in the "slow lane" - only to pull in front of me and then gradually slow down (to below 60) so I have to overtake them to maintain pace. If you are going to overtake me, then maintain your speed!

Other thing that annoys me is people who can't see further than the end of their bonnet. They see an old Merc in front (mine) and assume that I must be some old codger deliberately doing a ridiculously slow speed - I'm only doing that speed because I'm following a line of cars in front travelling at that same slow speed. They then overtake and pull sharply in front of me (often causing me to brake sharply), to gain one position. Why? I can't go any faster because of the traffic in front. What do they want me to do, shunt the other cars out of the way? Can't they see further up the road than the car immediately in front of them?

Last edited:
I totally agree, extremely annoying. I get it almost every day on my commute and it seems to be getting more common - or my tolerance level is at its limit. By all means pass me but pass me and then slow down, wtf!

I totally agree, extremely annoying. I get it almost every day on my commute and it seems to be getting more common - or my tolerance level is at its limit. By all means pass me but pass me and then slow down, wtf!
The only reassuring thing about all this is the knowledge that I'm not suffering alone!
th

Why do they do it?

I've seen this quite a bit - particularly noticeable when using cruise near the speed limit on DCs and motorways in light traffic.

I have concluded it's a neuro-aerodynamic effect. Car passing by at low speed differential on cruise control creates minute turbulance that affects the brain of the driver being passed such that there's an small involuntary movement of the right foot.

Other thing that annoys me is people who can't see further than the end of their bonnet. They see an old Merc in front (mine) and assume that I must be some old codger deliberately doing a ridiculously slow speed - I'm only doing that speed because I'm following a line of cars in front travelling at that same slow speed. They then overtake and pull sharply in front of me (often causing me to brake sharply), to gain one position. Why? I can't go any faster because of the traffic in front. What do they want me to do, shunt the other cars out of the way? Can't they see further up the road than the car immediately in front of them?

A line of cars all traveling too slowly can be very annoying to follow as none of them will overtake the obstruction at the front, yet thay are all too close to easily pass and pull in.

If you want to make progress you have to pass a few in small hops before going for the longer overtake to pass the first few in one hit.

After that you can plough off into the distance at the speed limit, not 20mph below it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom