Really getting pxxxxd of with drivers speeding up when I overtake.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had this the other day on a country B road.

A new small Citroen was pootling along at 35ish, I followed for a mile or so, not tailgating or flashing lights or doing anything untoward at all.

We came to a straight & I unleashed the awesome torque of the turbo diesel planning to sail past. Matey in Citroen takes exception & decides he'd like to have a drag race while another car is approaching in the lane I was in.

WTF is that all about?

I had similar recently with a Subaru. He was driving at 20mph in a 40mph limit, but as soon as the first straight came I accelerated to pass him and the car behind him.
I passed the following car at which point the Subaru accelerated sharply. A car came round the bend the opposite way so I thought no problem drop in behind the Subaru...except he then slammed the brakes on and closed the gap up.
I was left with no option but to accelerate again and pass him.
After then not exceeding the speed limit, within 3 minutes he was out of sight, with a string of cars behind him.

Related frustration - has anyone noticed how many vehicles drift to the right as you are overtaking them? Once past, they appear to resume an appropriate position within their lane. I suspect it is a largely unconscious thing rather than a deliberate form of intimidation in most cases.

As for drivers speeding up when you overtake, here is my theory:
Apart from the idiots who do this just to try to wind you up, I suspect most drivers are unaware that they are speeding up - as we all get most of our sense of speed and position from those cues around us, as you overtake a vehicle, the other driver becomes aware of you passing and may unconsciously think he/she is slowing down - and without realising it, give their own vehicle a bit more gas.

As I say, this is just a theory but it seems to account for the frequency with which this seems to happen - surely there can't be that many d**kheads on the roads? Or maybe there are?:crazy:

This is all so familiar, here in Gods Waiting Room, (Clacton on Sea) you get people cruising along the seafront between Clacton and Holland on Sea at 20-25 mph, you just try to get past them, they accelerate so you have to exceed the speed limit to get past them-if you can! and then they drop back down to 25mph if they manage to get you to pull in behind them again, insane! Seen so many near misses because of this while working alongside the road.

One thing that annoys me is when people approach a marked police car and wont overtake it, like its going to explode and insist on sitting a couple of car lengths behind in the right hand lane. either pull in behind it or put your foot down.

My favourite hairy experience on fast single lane A-roads is when you are sitting behind a car that wants to overtake a slow lorry in front, but won't. You hang back a bit to not pressure them but they have a few opportunities that they don't take.
You then see a gap and go for it and at that point they decide to pull out to overtake when you are nearly alongside. No mirrors or indicators required for that manoeuvre - just a spur of the moment thing from them.

Priceless.

How about merging onto a dual carriage way (A3 also for me) then getting undertaken by the person behind who then cuts in front.

Remain calm and carry on.

My favourite hairy experience on fast single lane A-roads is when you are sitting behind a car that wants to overtake a slow lorry in front, but won't. You hang back a bit to not pressure them but they have a few opportunities that they don't take.
You then see a gap and go for it and at that point they decide to pull out to overtake when you are nearly alongside. No mirrors or indicators required for that manoeuvre - just a spur of the moment thing from them.
And all the time they're wanting to overtake the lorry they're positioned just a couple of feet behind so can't see a thing then keep popping their noses out at random for a look. So when you spot that opportunity to go past both of them and the car does the sneaky-peek you're not sure if he's going to eventually go for it or pop back in. So you have to hold back and miss out on the chance :wallbash:

Last night on the A3, overtaken at speed and then immediately slowed right down to fiddle with sat nav. Another one matched his speed to mine exactly as he joined, trouble was he was alongside me. I moved over to give him room and he then accelerated away. nobs.

Get the odd one up here that accelerates as you overtake to close the gap to not allow you back in. Not only bloody dangerous but really infuriating when they use the horn too.
The other favourite up here is to follow a line of traffic doing 45 in a 60 for a number of miles who accelerate in the only overtaking lane so having to make you break the speed limit to pass as you know that once the road reverts back to single carriageway they will return back to their brain dead 45mph. The trouble is that all the camera vans sit at these overtaking lanes for that exact reason.

They're pure muppets, i always have a go at em

The other favourite up here is to follow a line of traffic doing 45 in a 60 for a number of miles who accelerate in the only overtaking lane so having to make you break the speed limit to pass as you know that once the road reverts back to single carriageway they will return back to their brain dead 45mph.

I thought that was the law on the A96.

The queue has to keep the same formation through the overtaking lanes and exit in exactly the same order as they entered that section when they all start to slow down with the leader :doh:

The A9 has a different set of byelaws. It's mandatory that a queue be led by two trucks or a truck following a caravan. On entry to the overtaking section or DC it is absolutely mandated that the truck following pulls out immediately and on a short section only just makes it past leaving everybody else stuck behind the original leader.

The one I hate is when you are on a motorway, and overtaking a lorry on the approach to a junction. Said lorry then just pulls out in front to make way for possible traffic entering motorway. No indication, no warning. This also happens as they try to maintain speed. I know why they need to overtake as regaining speed is difficult for them, but surely safety should come before convenience?

One thing that annoys me is when people approach a marked police car and wont overtake it, like its going to explode and insist on sitting a couple of car lengths behind in the right hand lane. either pull in behind it or put your foot down.

There was a line of 20 cars behind a marked car on the A11 the other day, I stuck my car on cruise at 72mph (gps) and went passed them all, 1/4 mile later he put his lights on and pulled me over.

When I asked what the hell I had done wrong he asked if I knew what speed I was going.
My reply was "73mph on my speedo which is 5% out, so about 69/70."

He then said well I had to pull you over as you can't just go overtaking police cars like that.

Why? If you are sat doing 65mph of course I can.

That was it, he left. All very weird.

:rolleyes:

I must have had at least half a dozen people speed up as I got level with them.

This doesn't present a problem to me ;):cool:.

It is me driving around and doing all that too wind you all up :)

I have noticed over recent years how vehicles joining the carriageway from a ramp no longer give way. They just pull out regardless expecting those already on the carriageway to take avoiding action.
Recently on the A11 I was on the nearside lane doing 65 with traffic next to me in the outside lane. This complete pr#@€ came down the ramp and drove right into my space not adjusting his speed to filter in. I had to stand on the brakes and get across to the outside lane too as the drivers on my right adjusted to help me. Then the said pr#@€ was giving me plenty as I drew next to him. I got passed him and slowed down and indicated for the next layby. He indicated too! I was quite excited at the opportunity to discuss things with him but he sped off as I entered the layby. Such a shame.
Please give way to traffic already on the carriageway. The dotted line is a clue!

I would say you are the one in the wrong there, you should have pulled over and let him filter in.
If you couldn't pull over and you weren't doing 70 then why not speed up a bit so he could get in, or slow down to 60 for a few seconds so he could pop in front of you??

It is far easier to see someone joining the carrigeway than it is to see if there is a gap behind the car you can see.

By the way, I get that the car joining should adjust their speed, but I think in this day and age where the roads are so busy that is more difficult.
I always move or adjust speed and flash people in, just think it is safer to let them know they are free to join and that I have spotted them than play silly burgers and block them out because '.....that is what it says in the highway code....." :rolleyes:

Hi something really gets to me,when in an average speed zone say 50 mph,why do some people think that it does not apply to them,do they get tickets or get away with it.The cameras must be there for a reason and it really ticks me off when they ignore the signs and speed past you.

And another thing while we are at it is the idiot who comes screaming down the outside then decides he needs the slip road that you are just about to pass and cuts right across you,nice people about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom