Really Really Stupid People

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Gamble? We are supposed to indicate our intentions in advance to eliminate the uncertainties - to reduce risk. Gambling is for chancers - not drivers.
Some people couldn't drive sheep with a stick!

Gamble? We are supposed to indicate our intentions in advance to eliminate the uncertainties - to reduce risk. Gambling is for chancers - not drivers.

You know I'm born to lose, and gambling's for fools
But that's the way I like it baby
I don't wanna live for ever
And don't forget the joker!

So, if someone is sitting behind you intending to go straight on, and when the lights change, you put on your indicator and cannot turn because of oncoming traffic, everyone else has to sit behind you and possibly not get through the green light at all? If your indicator had been on, they would have choose to wait in the other lane, have you been driving long?

Yes I dont see the issue with that. If it happens to me, which it does often, I indicator left and wait for a gap or someone to let me through into the other lane, or the car to have made a turn and free the lane up.

In York, there's a road with a traffic light turning left. The left traffic signal always turns on for 30 seconds before the other lights go green. More often than not the drivers at the front want to go straight, and the ones 2 cars back want to go left. I see no difference between both scenarios, after all, they're usually only 30 seconds? right? rightttt?

Reactions: 219
Dont see whats wrong with that?
If you do indicate and it takes 5 minutes for the light to change, that things ticking for a whole 5 minutes. Id find that more annoying to be honest
If you are being followed and trafficate as you approach , you are meant to cancel it when stopped , particularly after dark , so as not to annoy people behind .

If no one following then it is correct not to signal at that time , but if someone arrives behind while you are waiting , you can trafficate out of sequence , or you can wait until the lights change .

If you come up behind a car waiting in the right hand lane , once should consider that they may be turning right and take the left lane , if both allow straight ahead .

That is the teaching on advanced courses at police college .

So, if someone is sitting behind you intending to go straight on, and when the lights change, you put on your indicator and cannot turn because of oncoming traffic, everyone else has to sit behind you and possibly not get through the green light at all? If your indicator had been on, they would have choose to wait in the other lane, have you been driving long?
One should always consider that any vehicle waiting in a right turn lane may be turning right , if the left lane is available and you wish to go straight ahead , you should take that lane .

If there is more than one car stopped ahead , the one at the front may even be trafficating right , with the one behind waiting to go straight ahead , and you wouldn't be able to see it - especially if something like a small car in front of a van or a truck .

It's a regular thing think near my house. You're stopped at the lights in the outside lane, lights turn green, you follow the car in front of you, only for it to brake and indicate right at the same time.

So next time you make sure you're in the inside lane, but the car to your right unexpectedly swerves into your path because the car ahead of it decided to make a right turn....
That car should have made sure it was safe to move over to the left . Solution : make sure your car is faster !

Exactly what I do

Also, are there any lights that take 5 minutes to change? Yes, sometimes seems like it (!!), but that long?
Temporary lights at road works , or lights at multiple junctions with crossings and numerous phases .

Then people behind you may come to the conclusion that you have changed your mind and are now intending to go straight on. That would put the situation back to the original complaint.
If you decide to take your chances on the outside lane then you are taking a gamble and be prepared that someone may be turning right.
Movie quote " assumption is the mother and father of all ....... ups "

That car should have made sure it was safe to move over to the left . Solution : make sure your car is faster !

Depends.... I never argue with battered white vans..... :(

One should always consider that any vehicle waiting in a right turn lane may be turning right , if the left lane is available and you wish to go straight ahead , you should take that lane .

That might have been good advice around 1960 when the Highway Code was written, in todays cut & thrust of overpopulated traffic, it's sometimes not an available choice.

That might have been good advice around 1960 when the Highway Code was written, in todays cut & thrust of overpopulated traffic, it's sometimes not an available choice.
The Highway Code was first introduced in 1931 , and the most recent version in August 2019 .

I was not referring to HC but to the Advanced Training given to police drivers where that advice remains just as valid today .

“base your driving plan on : what you can see ; what you can not see ; the circumstances you can reasonably expect to develop “ .

The Highway Code was first introduced in 1931 , and the most recent version in August 2019 .

I was not referring to HC but to the Advanced Training given to police drivers where that advice remains just as valid today .

“base your driving plan on : what you can see ; what you can not see ; the circumstances you can reasonably expect to develop “ .

Yes, and based on modern traffic in city centres, moving to another lane can amount to no more than a dream, unless you wish to hold up even more cars than the original one causing the blockage.

Yes, and based on modern traffic in city centres, moving to another lane can amount to no more than a dream, unless you wish to hold up even more cars than the original one causing the blockage.
I learned to drive in London and never had a problem since.

Reactions: 219
I drive in Edinburgh , Glasgow , Dundee , Aberdeen regularly and don't have these problems ...

Which bears little resemblance to driving in the rest of the UK, not sure what you're point was?
London is not so different from Edinburgh or Glasgow .

Yes I dont see the issue with that. If it happens to me, which it does often,.................

Just because you don't mind it happening to you does not make it acceptable. It's called being inconsiderate and is extremely annoying.

There is an intersection on Harrogate road going to York where it happens fairly often. If I forgot to put my indicator on, I'd go straight (turn further on) and not inconvenience other motorists.

One of the first things I was told when learning to drive was "always try not to cause another motorist to change speed or direction".

The other annoying driver habit is those people that suddenly brake and then indicate at the last minute that they are turning.......INDICATE FIRST.....LET THE PEOPLE BEHIND KNOW YOUR INTENTIONS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom