Really Really Stupid People

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
1st dot point -......nothing to do with indicators or brake lights.

It says ANY light.

3rd Item, "In stationary traffic queues....................until the traffic moves again" means traffic jams etc or else they would have specified that it included waiting at traffic lights etc....& "should" not MUST.

Highway code says what about sitting stationary? Been a while since I read it but don't recall it saying 'hold the car on the foot brake with the drive still engaged, don't bother your **** with a parking brake or selecting neutral'. Has it changed? Would I have passed my test just sat there foot on brake, car in gear?

Bottom line is that manufacturers would not be permitted to fit brake lights and indicators that were too bright for other road users to drive comfortably or safely.

Yes. lets have them dimmed to candle level - no dazzle - not even from hundreds of yards away.

Bottom line is that manufacturers would not be permitted to fit brake lights and indicators that were too bright for other road users to drive comfortably or safely.

I wish I had your faith !

There was a limit when brake lights were 21 watt incandescent bulbs which inherently produced approx. 400 lumens. I haven't been able to find what the current figure is but I'm in no doubt that many cars with LED brake lights are considerably higher tan 400 lumens.

Reactions: 219

There was a limit when brake lights were 21 watt incandescent bulbs which inherently produced approx. 400 lumens. I haven't been able to find what the current figure is but I'm in no doubt that many cars with LED brake lights are considerably higher tan 400 lumens.
Perhaps they need to be brighter to shine through the red mist of road rage?

3rd Item, "In stationary traffic queues....................until the traffic moves again" means traffic jams etc or else they would have specified that it included waiting at traffic lights etc....& "should" not MUST.

Are you not “In stationary traffic queues” when waiting at traffic lights???

This an old thread but post #7 may shed some light on the subject? That LEDs emit pretty much a single wavelength of light, so the 21w output would be a much brighter red?

Reactions: 190
The old Triumph 2000/2500 had this covered by using a dimmer relay that dimmed the brake lights and indicators when the sidelights were on by introducing a resistor into the circuit.
Not too well thought out as the flasher unit speed was based on current through it and the indicators slowed down considerably at night.

It says ANY light.

• use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
Disingenuous argument. Let's try to be realistic about the intent of the rules.

These rules were made a long time before the advent of the brake lights and indicators we currently have on our cars. In which case, it is reasonable to assume that "high beams" and not indicators or brake lights were / what are being referred to.

Brake lights and indicators dazzling "pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders"??????? I've never sat in traffic with any of them behind me (discussion is all about not dazzling road users behind us).

• use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
Disingenuous argument. Let's try to be realistic about the intent of the rules.

These rules were made a long time before the advent of the brake lights and indicators we currently have on our cars. In which case, it is reasonable to assume that "high beams" and not indicators or brake lights were / what are being referred to.

Brake lights and indicators dazzling "pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders"??????? I've never sat in traffic with any of them behind me (discussion is all about not dazzling road users behind us).

Semantics....& interpretation

check the date of the latest Highway Code - it it needed updating for post horse carriages, it probably would have been?

I guess you are one of those who knows better and sits with their foot the brake with no regard to other users...

Yeah, amazing how some people can't be ar*sed performing a split second process to consider others behind. I'm alright Jack. :rolleyes:

Yeah, amazing how some people can't be ar*sed performing a split second process to consider others behind. I'm alright Jack. :rolleyes:

Nothing my main beams can't fix though........ if that's how they want to play it.

The old Triumph 2000/2500 had this covered by using a dimmer relay that dimmed the brake lights and indicators when the sidelights were on by introducing a resistor into the circuit.
Not too well thought out as the flasher unit speed was based on current through it and the indicators slowed down considerably at night.

I'm dredging my memory banks, but I'm pretty sure my Triumph Spitfire Mk IV also had this feature - perhaps it was standard across the Triumph range at the time?

When I’m driving I can get dazzled by poorly adjusted or non-dipped headlights on oncoming vehicles. When I’m driving I need to see the brake lights and indicators on vehicles in front of me so I know when to adjust my speed and/or position. When I’m stopped behind a vehicle with its brake lights and/or indicators on I don’t need to see the road in front of me, so I can avert my eyes to avoid any glare. I’m an old grunted who wears glasses, but I’ve never been bothered by brake lights or indicators - except when they’re not being used!

Nothing my main beams can't fix though........ if that's how they want to play it.

Or a remake of ‘Dual’ staring The Chev!!!

Or a remake of ‘Dual’ staring The Chev!!!

Starts there and morphs into Two Lane Blacktop....
(Invariably, the best tactic for dealing with those who annoy is get passed them and clear off).

Self dimming mirrors.....and if you are stopped so close that the brake lights / indicators on the car ahead bother you then your brights are not going to bother the person ahead and you will be disobeying the rules quoted earlier.

Not driving but I do remember using hand signals on my cycling proficiency test in the early 80’s. I’ve never once seen a cyclist using the ‘I’m slowing down’ hand signal.
Cycling proficiency was about the only thing I was ever any good at!

Cycling proficiency was about the only thing I was ever any good at!

I’m not having that. What about wooing your future wife? Better than any academic achievement by a million miles. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom