Really sorry - foot-operated brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldgit

I'm really sorry if this is one of those topics that appear every month. I had a look but couldn't see anything that answered my question.

I am being offered the chance to have a C-Class as my company car and thought - Yes! But then I started to read negative comments about the foot-operated parking brake. Now obviously I will seek out a dealer and have a look for myself but I just wanted to know, how does it work?

Specifically how does it work with a manual gear-box. It looks as if one presses a pedal to put the brake on, which seems simple enough; but how is it released? It sounds like there is a hand-operated release, if so I would have thought that hill starts wouldn't be too much of an issue. But if you have to release the brake with your foot - how? It sounds as if you'd need one foot for the clutch, one for the thottle and one for the brake. That's 3 feet (or one yard in old money). I've had a look and I only have the regulation 2.

So how does it all work?

Again, apologies if I am going over old ground.

manual cars

its a small pedal to the left of the clutch. push in to apply, pull the parking release lever to the left of the steering wheel to release.

indeed its bad on manual cars but a nice luxury feeling on autos.

Don't let it put you off ! The only thing you can't do is put the parking brake on with the car in gear, unless you are Jake The Peg.

It's a great feature not a disadvantage. If you are coordinated enough not to fall over when you walk, you will be ok with it.

You are asleep at a junction in a regular car, the lights go green, you have to fumble the car into 1st and then relaease the handbrake all with your left hand.

NOT in a Merc. You engage 1st with your left hand simultaneusly releasing the handbrake with your right hand all as you actually move off from the mark.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... It's not THAT bad in a manual! I actually like it on my manual. It's great that there's no handbrake in the way of my right arm. More importantly, Graham is right, it's fantastic that both your hands can be involved in setting off.

It started off quite weird. We were always taught to apply handbrake first, then select neutral when coming to a halt learning to drive, and this way is the opposite, but it good on manuals I reckon. Who wants to be doing handbrake turns anyway? :p

I realised I had no idea what I was doing when I cruised to a stop on a hill, in a manual C220 CDI loaner! My feeble brain couldn't quite work out which pedals did what in the heat of the moment so I ended up just holding it with the clutch for a few seconds ;)

Handbrake turns are more difficult though. Not quite sure what to do with my left hand . . . :D

Hand brake turns a piece of p**s just wedge the release handle open and you do as some rally cars do as the footbrake always releases when u lift off the pedal, well we use to do it on our job cars cos we dont pay for them to get fixed :rock: lol
p

PeterG said:
Hand brake turns a piece of p**s just wedge the release handle open and you do as some rally cars do as the footbrake always releases when u lift off the pedal, well we use to do it on our job cars cos we dont pay for them to get fixed :rock: lol
p

Bingo so thats how you pull a hand break turn :devil: I never thought of that :D

Small Clutch Pedal story.

I gave my boss a lift 'tuther day, he commented on what a nice car it was but that he could cope with such a small "clutch pedal" -

DOH!

:rolleyes:

PS, it's an auto, so at no point did he see me change gear - Managers, what can you with them!

:D

...I'd be interested to know what you said right after your manager's comment sportyreptile! Or perhaps he / she still thinks its a manual?!
Les

I laughed and told him the truth, luckily no one else was with us so didn't make him feel stupid in front of anyone else - pay reviews are coming up ;)

Only issue on older models (mines a 95 W202) is the 'clunking' noice when releasing the foot/hand brake with right hand.

Have done what others have suggested and use left foot over pedal and release it gently - all time having right foot firmly depressing the footbrake pedal until ready.

Left foot back on clutch, car in gear, release clutch slowly to get balance point and calmly (yet swiftly) release footbrake with right foot and some gentle revs on gas pedal and pull away.

Not tried it on steep hill TBH but on slight inclines as is normal commuting not had a problem yet.

Just needs a bit of confidence and some co-ordination!! ;)

MercedesBent said:
Only issue on older models (mines a 95 W202) is the 'clunking' noice when releasing the foot/hand brake with right hand.
Alright alright I'll try to look up the W203 damper or whatever tonight! :rolleyes:

I should have written down the VIN of that loaner I had.

Shude said:
Alright alright I'll try to look up the W203 damper or whatever tonight! :rolleyes:

I should have written down the VIN of that loaner I had.

I can PM you my VIN if it helps?

andyw said:
I can PM you my VIN if it helps?
If yours has the damper then yes please :)

If your car is from after mid 04 then it's possible it won't be in my database :(

Shude said:
If yours has the damper then yes please :)

If your car is from after mid 04 then it's possible it won't be in my database :(

Hmmm, picked it up in August 04 new...??!!! :confused:

Thanks. Seems that it's not as big a problem as I feared. Just a bit of getting used to.

So, it's a Merc for me (the alternative is a BMW 318iSE - no contest!).

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom