Rear blowout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chattonmill

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E55 AMG
Travelling at speed down the A1 on Sat My right rear tyre decides that it is time to self destruct, 3 passengers and myself in the car.
The only thing I noticed was a slight vibration that I put down to the road surface, then decided that it perhaps wasn't, so pulled onto the hard shoulder, where I didn't have to look very carefully as smoke was pouring off it!
My passengers hadn't even clocked there was a problem, which I put down to the self levelling suspension.
So sorry, no drama to report.
(but having to use the compressor to pump up the waste of space saver is a pain!)

Good to hear you got through it safely. I've had two front NS blowouts on my 211, both at around 70mph. I have to say the car was very well behaved.

I don't even have a space saver tyre ...

Travelling at speed down the A1 on Sat My right rear tyre decides that it is time to self destruct, 3 passengers and myself in the car.
The only thing I noticed was a slight vibration that I put down to the road surface, then decided that it perhaps wasn't, so pulled onto the hard shoulder, where I didn't have to look very carefully as smoke was pouring off it!
My passengers hadn't even clocked there was a problem, which I put down to the self levelling suspension.
(but having to use the compressor to pump up the waste of space saver is a pain!)

Similar happened to me with my last puncture. By the time I noticed there was a problem the tyre was practically in two pieces :doh:. Next car will definitely have TPMS!!

Similar happened to me with my last puncture. By the time I noticed there was a problem the tyre was practically in two pieces :doh:. Next car will definitely have TPMS!!

Errr mine does, but one has run out of batteries, so it takes the whole system down, will be replaced next week as part of the service, but that didn't help then:wallbash:

Glad to hear of the lack of drama.

Quick question - what compressor? I just assume my (spacesaver) is correctly inflated - as I would with any spare.

Check your space saver, mine comes with a little black box to inflate it, the last time I had a puncture I had thought the same as you.......only to find that the box was actually an important part of the operation!
Oh and the SS needs 51psi!

I just assume my (spacesaver) is correctly inflated - as I would with any spare.

Never assume anything - especially with tyres! :) Particularly as the space-saver spare required bicycle-style pressure, therefore it is far more likely to lose pressure over time (higher pressure will try harder to find a way out).

There is allegedly a STAR mod which will give any car an element of TPMS function. I am guessing that it works via the wheel speed sensors monitoring the status of each wheel for ESP purposes, but would also detect one wheel suddenly running at a slightly different speed (higher?) to the other three as the circumference of the deflating tyre reduces. I must get that looked at on mine as it is not equipped with the full-fat TPMS.

Last edited:

Mine needs 60psi!
Not once after any service by MB has it ever been returned to me with more than 45psi in it. I suspect they don't bother even putting a pressure gauge on it.

Russ

Never assume anything - especially with tyres! :) Particularly as the space-saver spare required bicycle-style pressure, therefore it is far more likely to lose pressure over time (higher pressure will try harder to find a way out).

There is allegedly a STAR mod which will give any car an element of TPMS function. I am guessing that it works via the wheel speed sensors monitoring the status of each wheel for ESP purposes, but would also detect one wheel suddenly running at a slightly different speed (higher?) to the other three as the circumference of the deflating tyre reduces. I must get that looked at on mine as it is not equipped with the full-fat TPMS.

yes, it's the Run Flat Indicator

Same happen to me, luckily I was going slowly!

ejwzdl.jpg

Errr mine does, but one has run out of batteries, so it takes the whole system down, will be replaced next week as part of the service, but that didn't help then:wallbash:

dont let the stealers replace it, it will be double the price of you getting it done!

also you might find all 4 go within months of each other! :eek:

Ok having had the tyre replaced it turns out that something is seriously awry, all 4 wheels are running on about 2 cms of the inside of the tyre, so I think I have been lucky just to lose one!
I must have upset something with a pot hole at some point.

Many speed cushions around where you live?

I had a rear nearside go on my 211, not airmatic. No drama, and that was with four adults, bootload of stuff and my right foot.

Very stiff chassis and shell.

Check your space saver, mine comes with a little black box to inflate it, the last time I had a puncture I had thought the same as you.......only to find that the box was actually an important part of the operation!

Thanks - I'll have a look at the weekend

(groan...I've now got to clear out all the little bits of family-related junk I've been stashing down there for nine months to keep the boot tidy......)

Ok having had the tyre replaced it turns out that something is seriously awry, all 4 wheels are running on about 2 cms of the inside of the tyre, so I think I have been lucky just to lose one!
I must have upset something with a pot hole at some point.

Hmm....that doesn't sound right.

My rears are shoot but seem to be wearing evenly.

Something else to double check this weekend - may do the fronts too if they are nearly there.

Lucky person that I am (touch wood!), I have never had a blowout, but I reckon that I am just about up to the job of changing a wheel if I had to. But it's not as simple as that these days is it - changing a wheel on a busy road with huge juggernauts, etc, flying by at high speed would be frightening and downright dangerous. I just wonder what most people would do - change the wheel themselves or call out the experts. Come to that, would rescue services like Mobilo respond positively to a call for help in such circumstances?

Lucky person that I am (touch wood!), I have never had a blowout, but I reckon that I am just about up to the job of changing a wheel if I had to. But it's not as simple as that these days is it - changing a wheel on a busy road with huge juggernauts, etc, flying by at high speed would be frightening and downright dangerous. I just wonder what most people would do - change the wheel themselves or call out the experts. Come to that, would rescue services like Mobilo respond positively to a call for help in such circumstances?
Err...its changing a wheel, not exactly rocket science!

Err...its changing a wheel, not exactly rocket science!

Yep, surprised me too.

But I must admit last year I had to go to Kwik Fit to have them loosen all the wheel bolts on my car because they were effectively seized.

If I'd had to change a wheel at the side of the road it would have proved impossible without assistance from someone with a very long breaker bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom