Rear boot badge vandalized

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Redline

Car
'93 C180 Esprit
I was parked in the garage where I work (front towards wall), and when I came back to it at 21:00 in the evening, some idiot had broken off the chrome ring surrounding the star on the boot! All three contact points with the star itself was broken off, and the ring was left on the ground! :mad: Of course the guard hadn't seen anything and video surveillance is non-existent...

Anyone know the price for a W202 rear boot badge and how to swap it?

about a tenner, pulls right off, and the new one pushes on. Happened to mine earlier this year...

I was parked in the garage where I work (front towards wall), and when I came back to it at 21:00 in the evening, some idiot had broken off the chrome ring surrounding the star on the boot! All three contact points with the star itself was broken off, and the ring was left on the ground! :mad: Of course the guard hadn't seen anything and video surveillance is non-existent...

Anyone know the price for a W202 rear boot badge and how to swap it?

http://cart.euromercmercedesparts.co.uk/index.php?p=product&id=2948&parent=0

Thanks guys! Geez, that's expensive for a piece of plastic! Anyone who has experience with just filling the holes and flushing the tailgate (what filler to use etc.)? I'm seriously considering it as rust is starting to bubble up just around where the star was, so I'll have to repaint it anyway. :rolleyes:

But seriously, what makes Mercedes stars such a magnet for vandals? I doubt they have Mercs of their own, and I can't imagine any real resell value (at least not when they f**k it up as they did with mine)? :confused:

But seriously, what makes Mercedes stars such a magnet for vandals? I doubt they have Mercs of their own, and I can't imagine any real resell value.

I think you answered your own question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vandal

By definition, vandals have no motive other than destruction itself. In our amoral society, people justify such acts as "having a laugh" -- usually to impress their equally-mindless mates.

Its worse on the older models, at least on the newer ones there is some chance they come off in one piece, on the old cars the star is bolted on in the middle but the idiots who nick them assume they are glued/clipped on and break them everytime along with bending the panel if your unlucky.

Thanks Marque, but at least I have the excuse of not being a native speaker of English... :p Really glad that I don't have that bolt-on star, toaster!

Last night I found my bonnet star twisted round :( - always happens in my folks sleepy village aswell

Sorry to hear that Hertz. I have ordered the one below, hoping that they won't bother stealing a flat one!
6122010G_425x283.jpg

It was still attached though, and no marks on the bodywork!

Id never get a flat one ;)

I'm unsure how it will look on my car, but I have a spare original star if I want to swap back. Guess I'm going to miss aiming at those pesky pedestrians through the "gunsight". :p

Sorry to hear that Hertz. I have ordered the one below, hoping that they won't bother stealing a flat one!
6122010G_425x283.jpg

Is that the W204 flat star? I have fitted one to my W202. Not a perfect flush fit, but still there.

It's a Schätz tuning one, and it's supposed to be for the W202.

mine is often leaning over or twisted around like someone has tried to pull it off, i couldnt bring myself to have a flat one, I'm tempted to attempt sharpening it and seeing what happens. :D

The low riders one has a gold plated star on it so im not sure how long that ones gonna last if i ever park it out on the street.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom