Rear box delete

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e350Thegunners

Car
E350 coupe
Has anyone done this to any 350 Cdi's?

Any benefits?

Better or worse sounding?

Personaly, I would not bother but is your choice. Enjoy the Stage 1 tuning that you already have. That's why to me it is important to carefully select a tuner that is able to offer and provide you with the maximum power/torque over the entire rpm range at Stage 1.

I've recently fitted a cat back exhaust for my s211, its not at all noisy just gives a nice burble on tick over and growl on boost.

I did start the car whilst there were no silencers attached... lol got to be done haha, but there was very little increase in sound at tick over tbf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6cR9hJbovs

On an Alfa I used to have after I had it tweaked a bit I gutted the cat, went on so smoothly after that, not stalling the turbo etc , passed theMot over a 2 yr period & gave a low muted bellow.

Has anyone done this to any 350 Cdi's?

Any benefits?

Better or worse sounding?
Not sure what it sounds like on a diesel, but I deleted rear box from my Audi S8 (now sold) and it was awful - noise was bearable (up to 3000rpm), but lot of resonation in the cabin - so got bored of it very quickly
I put it back on before I sold it as it was scaring buyers away
But that just my experience (and it was a petrol V8)

Personally I'm not a fan of making a diesel noisier. They sound pretty decent when more refined. I get it but I just feel it's trying too hard to be something it's not.

Plus you will hit back pressure issues on a turbo derv I'd imagine. I know you can get it mapped out but it's just causing longevity issues.

Enjoy the car for what it is. I always leave my diesels untouched, I straight piped my ml55 from cat back and that was like a thunder on roids.

Just my two pence.

Less back pressure the better on a turbocharged car, Derv or petrol. To a point of course, mines mapped to, and has a lager intercooler go's very well hoping to get it into the 14s on the 1/4 this year.

Last edited:
merc85 said:
Less back pressure the better on a turbocharged car, Derv or petrol. To a point of course, mines mapped to, and has a lager intercooler go's very well hoping to get it into the 14s on the 1/4 this year.

Fair enough, I'm certainly no tuning expert!

Fair enough, I'm certainly no tuning expert!

wasn't having a go, just sharing what i'd found out playing with T5's over the years, im certainly no expert either, I did manage to get my last Volvo from 225hp to 297hp but it cost alot of money, time and headaches lol:thumb:

Personaly, I would not bother but is your choice. Enjoy the Stage 1 tuning that you already have. That's why to me it is important to carefully select a tuner that is able to offer and provide you with the maximum power/torque over the entire rpm range at Stage 1.

Thanks for the reply, I love the remap, it truly is great, the exhaust is more for the sound. Torque flow exhausts at msl, have produced some amazing exhaust for the petrol versions. I was fortunate enough to experience the cls 55 and sl500 during my visit to msl. The exhausts on these cars truly sounded amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom