Rear brake pads C63 W205

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hedgehogsdad

Car
Mercedes C63 AMG
I took my car to my local Mercedes dealer yesterday under my new service plan (previous thread). They advised that rear brake pads will be required withing the next couple of months, at a cost of £460 :(

Looking on Eurocarparts, they look to be in the region of £90 after discount (Brembo) and I wondered whether anyone had fitted them themselves, or whether I'd be better taking them to an indie to fit for me?

Has anyone got a guide to DIY, or an idea of what a dealer would charge?

Either way they look significantly cheaper than dealer price.

Hi, If you have any mechanical aptitude whatsoever, I suspect it would not be too difficult.
Check Youtube/the web, take some pics with your phone BEFORE you start so you know where it should go back to etc, take your time, think logically and just do it!

Good luck, Matt :thumb:

Hi, If you have any mechanical aptitude whatsoever, I suspect it would not be too difficult.
Check Youtube/the web, take some pics with your phone BEFORE you start so you know where it should go back to etc, take your time, think logically and just do it!

Good luck, Matt :thumb:

Cheers,

I found this, but the important bits don't seem to be included in the video?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

good luck ! btw how many miles on the clock ?

mine were 50 percent worn at 10k miles apparently

You would have to be a lunatic to pay someone almost £500 to change a set of rear brake pads. There is nothing special about the brake pads in your car. Buy the correct pads and either do it yourself or ask a local garage to do it for you.

£100...max.

mine are 60% worn at 18k, possibly the second set?
hahaha or there is a better driver sitting in the cockpit of your car...I was somewhat surprised at the claimed pad wear from the dealer tbh. I'll get an indy to check them again soon once I get my wheel alignment checked on rear passenger wheel.

This might be a stupid question, but how on earth do rear brake pads need replacing after 10k miles?

O
This might be a stupid question, but how on earth do rear brake pads need replacing after 10k miles?
On a 63, it constantly wants to spin its back wheels. The esp reigns it in on the brakes and they’re fried in no time.

I did mine recently after MB advised after MOT and quoted similar price of ~400. Its a straight forward brake pad job if you have done any brakes previously and only difference being to set the rear caliper position through the service menu.

The issue I had was that my rear wheels were stuck fast to the hub and really took a lot of effort to work them off.

Usually stick to MB parts and have done previously for brakes however on this occasion I bought inexpensive ABS branded pads on their own from buycarparts. I have done ~ 2k and they have been fine.

If you want to torque correctly the lower of the 2 main bolts each side are difficult to reach with a standard torque drive wrench and socket. You really need spigot torque wrench with 13mm ring end.

O

On a 63, it constantly wants to spin its back wheels. The esp reigns it in on the brakes and they’re fried in no time.

Surely this is related to driving style? Mine were 30% worn @ 10k miles of commute to work/daily driver.

O

That may explain a lot as during normal driving I would say I use throttle lift off , engine braking and timing far more than braking , sadly , didnt account for the poor throttle application at every corner and set of traffic lights ... [makes Homer Simpson doh gesture].

Dealer estimations on brake wear is complete nonsense. I had the pads and discs done all around at 34k miles, and at 35k miles (2 months later) I booked in for a service at Brooklands where they told me my brakes were 50% worn. After calling it out to their service manager, i said there must be a serious issue with the car if all of my brakes have worn 50% in 1000 miles. Their response was "it is an estimation, we don't actually measure, and as visibility is so low, it is a rough guess".

Moral of the story, wait till the light comes on, then do something about it, until then, enjoy and don't worry about it. Mercs have sensors on front and back for brake wear, and even when the light comes on, you still have a a few thousand miles before you are to the metal.

Also - DO NOT go to a main dealer for brakes, it is a rip off! They quoted me £2763 to do front and rear pads/discs on a W212 E63. I got the parts from MB Edinburgh for £1400 and a very reputable local indi to fit for another £250. Over £1000 saving!

Dealer estimations on brake wear is complete nonsense. I had the pads and discs done all around at 34k miles, and at 35k miles (2 months later) I booked in for a service at Brooklands where they told me my brakes were 50% worn. After calling it out to their service manager, i said there must be a serious issue with the car if all of my brakes have worn 50% in 1000 miles. Their response was "it is an estimation, we don't actually measure, and as visibility is so low, it is a rough guess".

Moral of the story, wait till the light comes on, then do something about it, until then, enjoy and don't worry about it. Mercs have sensors on front and back for brake wear, and even when the light comes on, you still have a a few thousand miles before you are to the metal.

Also - DO NOT go to a main dealer for brakes, it is a rip off! They quoted me £2763 to do front and rear pads/discs on a W212 E63. I got the parts from MB Edinburgh for £1400 and a very reputable local indi to fit for another £250. Over £1000 saving!
much much appreciated, I'll avoid the merc (short for mercenaries) dealer like a plague for the brake pad replacement . I thought something may have been iffy with their estimation...

We did exactly the same on our 212 and will do on the 205 63 also. Dealers charge higher labour rates for AMGs.

I've just changed the rears on my W204 - took an hour start to finish! Honestly, this is an easy job to do if you have even a little aptitude
Rears should be lasting circa 20k at least (I think these were the originals at 40k miles) 10k seems a little extreme.
AND...Merc advised these needed replacing as a matter uf urgency. On inspection, 4mm left on them, new ones were only double that so, don't take what Mercedes are advising as gospel...or worry about them. They may not be as urgent as Merc are making out.

We did exactly the same on our 212 and will do on the 205 63 also. Dealers charge higher labour rates for AMGs.
Yep to the tune of £203+VAT per hour according to the guidelines i heard last week. Its funny that, brakes are brakes, nothing special about them. I would have done mine myself, i just couldn't be bothered, my time for that day was worth more than the £250 i paid the indi.

My 2018 c63 has its first year service today. Says rear pads Amber 4mm.

I presume this is 4mm left? What’s a new pad have? No way I will be paying mb to change them. My biggest gripe is the awful brown dust they make. I’m trying not to move away from oem but I think I am going to be forced to Change the pads at least to stop the brown dust. Anyone know what pads are good on dust?

Have seen the Brembo ones on Euro car parts. £85 at the mo as 50% off. Would these be better on dust and do they come with sensors and bits required for the swop?

I’m thinking these pads and oem discs when the time comes for £195 ish from merc newcastle on eBay.

Have seen the Brembo ones on Euro car parts. £85 at the mo as 50% off. Would these be better on dust and do they come with sensors and bits required for the swop?

I’m thinking these pads and oem discs when the time comes for £195 ish from merc newcastle on eBay.

OEM Pads and discs if I am not mistaken are made by Brembo anyway. The issue I had with finding non MB parts was for the front discs, there wasn't any! In the end i just went complete MB, looks better from a service history perspective IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom