Rear brake pipes corroded?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pedrostar88

Car
C Class
I recently had my w204 13 plate c class car in to Arnold Clark for a visual health check. They said my rear brake pipes were corroded. I’ve looked on euro car parts and just wondering if this is the correct item.

Link not working for me.

It won’t be anything from Euros though, it will be the steel brake lines that run from front to back, and usually go over the rear subframe etc.

Will be fairly expensive to replace due to the labour cost involved, but you could always get a second opinion on the condition of the lines (and they may benefit in the short to medium term from cleaning up and protecting if they’re not too far gone)

Corroded brake pipes were mentioned on various MOTs for our 124. It was only after about 6-7 years that PCS felt that they did actually need replacing. I would get a second opinion.

I had this reported on my last 2 C Class estates (203, 204) - the corrosion was just the outer plastic layer cracking off and was fixed by wire-brushing the lines and then coating them in grease.

Big difference between corrosion and rot. If the pipes are heavily rusted and the metal is pitted , then its time to renew, if its just light corrosion , clean them up , paint them with hammerite etc. And a final spray with black underseal. Will bag you a few good years .

2010 C220CDI W204 - 125000mls, Last three MoT passes had advisories for all four brake pipes "corroded/covered in grease". This week garage stated pipes would be a failure. Approx cost of replacement £1100. Apparently original pipes are steel, they cannot be repaired and the only solution is total replacement, with cheapest option being copper. Estimated time for job is 10-15 hours if no unforseen problems. Garage has promised me that if job takes less I will pay less, but if it runs over they will cap labour at 10hr cost and bear the loss of revenue.

2010 C220CDI W204 - 125000mls, Last three MoT passes had advisories for all four brake pipes "corroded/covered in grease". This week garage stated pipes would be a failure. Approx cost of replacement £1100. Apparently original pipes are steel, they cannot be repaired and the only solution is total replacement, with cheapest option being copper. Estimated time for job is 10-15 hours if no unforseen problems. Garage has promised me that if job takes less I will pay less, but if it runs over they will cap labour at 10hr cost and bear the loss of revenue.
You can have sections cut out and new pipe joined in.

Reactions: 190
My W204 failed an MOT on the brake line that runs up over the rear subframe. I had that section replaced with cu/nickel for £179 including a fluid change.

I then inspected and greased the remaining lines so I can tell you exactly where they run and where they are prone to corrosion. The rear brake lines run close together down the nearside of the car under the trays. They then turn up behind the rear wheel arch liner with the one line coming out at the top of the liner and over the subframe to the offside.

Where the lines ran under the tray they were near perfect. Where they tun up under the wheel arch liner there was slight for corrosion because of the way they are supported. Definitely a point to clean and rust proof. Remaining length of line behind the wheel arch liner fine. So it's only the section over the rear subframe that is a major problem. The rest you can easily inspect and treat if necessary, No need to pay Merecedes mega bucks to put the same crapy steel lines back in. I wouldn't dream of replacing that rear section with steel as you can't easily inspect it or treat it without a lift so steel will fail again in time.

When replacing the brake pipes, specify the material to be used - Seamless Copper-Nickel (Kunifer-10).
It's stronger with superior salt-water-corrosion-resistance.
The cost difference is minimal compared with the labour cost.

Thank you both. I did ask if just the defective sections could be cut out and they stated that the original steel lines cannot be cut and joined with new steel or copper pipe and it is a definite case of replacing whole lines, both sides, from front to rear. Is it a possibility that unseen sections could be bad and in need of repair or am I being conned?

Thank you both. I did ask if just the defective sections could be cut out and they stated that the original steel lines cannot be cut and joined with new steel or copper pipe and it is a definite case of replacing whole lines, both sides, from front to rear. Is it a possibility that unseen sections could be bad and in need of repair or am I being conned?

You are most likely being conned or mislead. I have a joint between steel and cu/nickel behind the rear wheel arch liner before it goes over to the offside. My experience on an older car than yours was the lines hidden behind the under trays and wheel arch liner were in near perfect condition and quite suitable to be joined. It would be the work of a few minutes to release the tray Fastners at the near side edge of the tray and inspect the brake lines.

Could be that the garage don't really want the job or they have been burned before by just replacing sections of pipe for a previous customer ?

They say 'rear brake pipes' so my guess it's the ones that go over the top of the rear sub frame . These can be replaced easier if the rear sub frame is dropped a few inches to gain access.

A bit of a pain of a job from what I have seen on line etc.

PS don't bother with MB parts for this job plenty of better alternatives on the market.

I don't know what garage you have been to, but I had my 2014 E class wagon fitted with new copper brake pipes, front & middle sections and it was £500 inc the VAT. It was an Independent Merc at Larkfield.

Hopefully not actually copper......I wouldn't use it these days.....goes brittle too fast when flexing and there are way better choices.

I don't know what garage you have been to, but I had my 2014 E class wagon fitted with new copper brake pipes, front & middle sections and it was £500 inc the VAT. It was an Independent Merc at Larkfield.
Thank you Charliecloud -- Today a small (well regarded) local garage confirmed everything that you and the other members have said. They will cut out rotten parts, flare the steel pipes, replace sections with Kunifer. They will do the job in one day and do the MoT. Total price including MoT will be less than £500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom