Rear Coil Springs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Clive/MEZ

Anyone Heard Of E320 Saloon 53 Plate Having Both Rear Coil Springs Broken?

MB's have been snapping springs all my career.

Done three sets this week!

My front offside spring has gone on my 2002 E320 cdi estate. Local garage quoted £400 to replace both springs plus one drive belt. Part costs are around £97 per spring plus £15 for the belt. Just paid for a B assist service too, so not looking forward to having to pay for those. Plus MOT due in two weeks.

Also bought two new tyres and developed a quiet 'roar' at about 35 mph (which reduces in noise but gains in frequency at higher speeds) and a groan when braking. Tyres don't look like they are scuffing etc but the noise only started when they were replaced. Supplier took a look and said nothing wrong with the tyres - so any ideas welcome.

There was an advisory on the service that a bearing was a little noisy but I never heard it before, so I can't beliave it suddenly makes that sort of noise. However, anyone replaced a bearing? Expensive?

Never rains but it pours, doesn't it?

What make are the tyres?

Cheapies tend to make alot of noise!

The price for those springs is a bit on the high side. Is yours a 210?

Also bought two new tyres and developed a quiet 'roar' at about 35 mph (which reduces in noise but gains in frequency at higher speeds) and a groan when braking. Tyres don't look like they are scuffing etc but the noise only started when they were replaced. Supplier took a look and said nothing wrong with the tyres - so any ideas welcome.

Have you checked the pressure?

Well, they were supposed to be 'mid range' tyres. They are WANLI or something like that. Ah - erm ..... perhaps the name says it all. But it does seem to be coming from one side and not the other.

I have no idea which model apart from I'm pretty sure when I bought roof bars the chappy said the later model was the larger ones which I bought. It's an 02 model if that helps. Chassis number starts WDB2102262x..... docs say Variant J226FO and Version SRBBAAO. Does the chassis number point to it being a 210?

I'm driving to Dover for a weekend soon so need to get it done quickly, but don't want to pay over the odds, particularly as MOT will need to be done at the same time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom