Rear ended - advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AdamBoyse

Car
Defected to Porsche but still love mercs. Last car W202, C200 sport.
It had to happen sometime. I was sitting at the lights the other day when the driver behind me decided to slip her foot off the clutch and ram the back of my C200.

It was only probably a 5-10 mph bump but it certainly surprised me and gave a jolt.

Being a Mercedes, the visible damage is minimal. You have to look very carefully to see any damage in the rear bumper. I've also checked underneath and around the spare wheel to look for damage and there isn't anything obvious.

Now for the advice..

Do I...

1. Do nothing. Unless you knew where to look you wouldn't notice any damage.

2. Get a quote from a Dealership for a replacement bumper and get her to pay (and help her avoid losing her no claims). Has anyone any idea what this is likely to cost??

3. Go through the insurance route with all the associated hassle. This is a grey area for me - as it's a "no fault" claim does it affect my no claims bonus??

4. Any other ideas?

Cheers

Adam

1. don't do that because you may have chassis damage that you cannot see - it is possible.

2. Ask her first if she is willing to pay or you will make a claim, rear bumper is about £500 plus painting etc, your looking at up to £1000 max if no chassis damage.

3. she hit you from th eback - it will NOT affect your NCB.

4. say your xenons fell out and give them to me.

As Koolvin said, get it checked, might be chassis damage.

What do you mean "no fault"? Shen went in the back of you!!

Cheers for the quick feedback guys. I'll drop into the Stealership today and get a rough quote then give her a call.

Of course I know it's not my fault, I just don't trust Insurance companies! They'll always find a way to stiff me next year.

You are not claiming off your insurance company - you are claiming off her's. There is no need for your insurance company to be involved in this one. Your broker should handle it - after all that's what you pay them for.

Andy

ive had people shunt me from the rear a few times, insurance is the best way to go, no-one is going to pay out £1k plus!

if you find a good body shop , they may fix any other bits that need doing as well!

Not Bl%&dy likely. The bodyshops are now all into the Taking digi photos thing etc etc .... must be the only honest people in the motor trade

Originally posted by fuzzer
Not Bl%&dy likely. The bodyshops are now all into the Taking digi photos thing etc etc .... must be the only honest people in the motor trade

Hey, what you trying to say?;)

I was, until about 3 years ago, a director of a legal expenses company, or ULR provider, handling these types of claim, or "uninsured loss claims". I am still a director of a motor vehicle assessors (although the market for third-party claims has really dropped off).

1. Report the claim to your insurance company as it is a policy condition.

2. Definitely get an estimate. Do not, under any circumstances, agree to allow the TP to pay. As koolvin says, there could be more damage to the car and even in a low speed accident such as yours, you might find yourself with neck pains later. They can take 24-48 hours to manifest. Clearly, you are then into a Personal Injury claim.

3. If your car does have damage, you are going to need a courtesy car whilst yours is being repaired. Your insurers may provide this, or they may not. If they don't, the ULR company would. You will also probably have a policy excess which I'm sure you would like back ;) . Again, the ULR company would recover this. This would also safeguard your NCB.

It would probably be worthwhile speaking to a ULR company. My old company, CRS, would probably take your claim on, for *no* fee (they definitely would if you're injured :D ), but there are plenty of others out there.

Cheers

Andrew

I have to say that this forum is great. Within an hour of posting I'm getting quality feedback. Brilliant and Thanks.

Stealership have given ballpark figure of £500+vat for the bumper and although they can see any other damage they won't know until it's up on a ramp.

I'll take the advice and go through the insurance company who can claim off her insurance. I might even pop into the GP about the neck pain ;)

And....... as you got out of the car, your Rolex fell off and went down a drain. You stumbled and fell to your knee's ripping your Armani jeans and also scuffing your Patrick Cox shoes........

Gotta try.....

:p :p :p

<cough> I should add that I do abhor claimants who aren't injured who make a claim. But, if you are injured and suffer discomfort as a result of that injury, then you are entitled to compensation. Whiplash is difficult to prove though :eek: .

Cheers

Andrew

Originally posted by GDC200
.....and we wonder why our premiums are so high!
you can blame that on nutters who go upside-down-off-roading :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom