Rear Facing Speed Cameras in Police Cars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Speeding is indeed a criminal offence, but it is not a crime.

??? Really ??? Exceeding the statutory speed limit on a public road is a criminal offence. Perhaps you could share your wisdom and explain to me then how, by exceeding the statutory speed limit on a public road I am not committing a crime.
If there is no crime committed there can be no criminal conviction so I should imagine a lot of people will be interested in this info
Cheers

Breaking the speed limit, you are breaking the law, breaking the law you are commiting a crime are you not?

And if you are really breaking the speed limit they can and do give out custodial sentences

J.

As far as im concerned that's right, but markjay seems to think different which is why I've asked him to explain his earlier statement in more detail.

??? Really ??? Exceeding the statutory speed limit on a public road is a criminal offence. Perhaps you could share your wisdom and explain to me then how, by exceeding the statutory speed limit on a public road I am not committing a crime.
If there is no crime committed there can be no criminal conviction so I should imagine a lot of people will be interested in this info
Cheers

You are breaking a law but it is seen as a recordable offense and is classified as a civil matter which is why, unless there are aggrevating circumstances, it can be dealt with by issuing a fixed penalty notice and does not generally need to be dealt with by a court.

And if you are really breaking the speed limit they can and do give out custodial sentences

I think that you are in error there J. Maximum is £1000 fine and 6 penalty points.

Breaking the speed limit, you are breaking the law, breaking the law you are commiting a crime are you not?

J.

Because excessive speeds can also be see as dangerous drivingi n certain circumstances and this, if conviceted carries a maximum penalty of 2 years imprisonment.

I think that you are in error there J. Maximum is £1000 fine and 6 penalty points.

Lets say I am caught in my car doing 160mph on the m3 one night (I live down south so use it a lot :) ). I won't get 6 points and a £1000 fine will i? I dought it I reckon I would be locked up quicker than I can post on here for advice. :)

At 160 you'll be charged with dangerous driving, not speeding.
You can't be locked up for speeding.
If you can show that 160 wasn't dangerous then you'll escape a prison sentence.
Good luck with that though...

So speeding by any definition you are commiting a crime. The charge changes I'll agree.

No, you are committing an offence, you do not receive a criminal record for speeding, it is an offence against the Road Traffic Act.

It becomes a criminal offence when combined with other factors , for example, if it brings a charge and conviction for dangerous driving .

Criminal law, and motoring law are two distinctly different branches of the legal system in the UK. Similarly, there is difference between statute law, and criminal law

Last edited:
Well I'm glad that's cleared that one up then :clap:

Ok i will hold my hands up and apologies stating i am wrong if you can show me where on a uk law referrence site or the dft's site or in the rtoa or the rta where it states speeding is not a criminal offence.

And i dont mean piston heads forum or something similar.

J.

Last edited:
Ok i will hold my hands up and apologies stating i am wrong if you can show me where on a uk law referrence site or the dft's site or in the rtoa or the rta where it states speeding is not a criminal offence.

J.

Why don't you show us where it says it is. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom