Rear Facing Speed Cameras in Police Cars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
Just curious really.

On my M40 journey, returning from the Rebellion/SRR dyno day today there was a marked Volvo police car ahead.

In view of this, most of us were doing 75mph, as was the police car.

The police car then sped up significantly and moved to lane two - lets say he way doing 90mph, as he began to draw away from the pack.

Rather bizarrely, a Q7 driver broke ranks and increased his speed, tailing the police car, initially at a distance, but eventually, more closely.

The police car slowed down again, returned to the inside lane, and the Q7 did too, soon passing the police car, but at a sensible speed, along with other cars.

As soon the Q7 pulled in front of the police car, on went the lights and by the time we passed them both, they were pulling onto the hard shoulder.

Now, what the Q7 did, by tailing the police car was pretty dumb and he was obviously speeding by matching their speed so:

Do you think they would have pulled him by way of a caution, without any measurable evidence, or are there rear facing speed cameras in police cars these days?

Last edited:
they dont need proof to say you were speeding, if there was too officers they can do you for excess speed without proof.

Why do they need a camera? They have two corroborated pieces of evidence...the driver and the passenger of the Police car.

they dont need proof to say you were speeding, if there was too officers they can do you for excess speed without proof.

They need reasonable evidence. In this case the speedometer will provide that.

Many years ago when I was given a tour of a Police car they showed me a device that measures speed why way of marking the distances travelled between two points (the police car can be moving at the same time). So yes, even if a speeding car is behind the Police car they can measure its speed.

many years ago when i was given a tour of a police car they showed me a device that measures speed why way of marking the distances travelled between two points (the police car can be moving at the same time). So yes, even if a speeding car is behind the police car they can measure its speed.

It's called VASCAR.

They only really need the speedometer. Have you noticed the white squares on many A roads and motorways. They are calibrated distance markers for checking speedometer accuracy.

Why did the speed of the police car increase above the speed limit. They have a duty as well to adhere to speed limits especially when only patroling

I would do the same as the Q7 and my argument would be why were the police speeding? If an emergency they should have lights etc on otherwise stick to limit and not encourage others to speed.

My first 3 points ever were on the A3, overtook a police car at 70mph within speed limit then lost sight of them and sped up. They caught me a few miles later, timed between two bridges with average of 93.5mph. It was my MK1 Golf GTI back in 1995 :)

My first 3 points ever were on the A3, overtook a police car at 70mph within speed limit then lost sight of them and sped up. They caught me a few miles later, timed between two bridges with average of 93.5mph. It was my MK1 Golf GTI back in 1995 :)

Mrs Dm's previous employer had a similar situation years ago, except the Police took to an A road then back onto the motorway.

AFAIK they can and they do.

I would be telling them I'd see them in court. I had a situation where the police were being unreasonable - apparently I jumped a red light but they couldn't stop me straight away because they were too far behind me. How did they 'see' I jumped the light?? Told them I'd see them in court and nothing happened. The fixed penalty disappeared.

I would do the same as the Q7 and my argument would be why were the police speeding?

I can only assume the Q7 driver followed your train of thought.

It wasn't as if there was some doubt as to whether it was police or Highways Agency - it was a Volvo, not a Disco, with the word Police emblazoned across the rear :doh:.

Risky, to say the least.

Last edited:
I always thought getting "pulled over" onto the hard shoulder was dangerous and if they bothered it must be serious and deserve a ticket if that makes sense..

I always thought getting "pulled over" onto the hard shoulder was dangerous and if they bothered it must be serious and deserve a ticket if that makes sense..

The Volvo tried to get the Q7 to exit at a junction, but he didn't, stopping immediately after the junction on the shoulder.

Not when there is two officer's present at the time, they would call it expert judgement in court.

That's wrong. It's the same with opportunistic crime, you can't be unreasonable to lay bait like that.

Where is the bait?

There was a clearly marked Police car on the motorway, regardless of why the Police were exceeding the limit it does not give anyone else an exemption to do so. To blatantly exceed the limit by some margin and in these circumstances, as the Audi seemed to, was just stupid.

If we choose to exceed the speed limit and we are caught then we need to accept the responsibility for our actions and not blame others.

To blatantly exceed the limit by some margin and in these circumstances, as the Audi seemed to, was just stupid.

If you say so.

I have a strong opinion on speed vs other distractions and what I find more dangerous are the drivers that hit the brakes and slow down to 60 when they see a marked police car. Then they hog the lane so no one can pass even at 70.

At least I've found one instance where I support an Audi driver.

If you say so.

I have a strong opinion on speed vs other distractions and what I find more dangerous are the drivers that hit the brakes and slow down to 60 when they see a marked police car. Then they hog the lane so no one can pass even at 70.

At least I've found one instance where I support an Audi driver.

It is not a question of "if I say so"

We have speed limits, there are penalties for exceeding them, if you do not agree with them (and I do not agree with them in some circumstances as currently set) then petition to get them changed.

This example though is very simple, the Audi driver committed an offence under the current regulations and it was witnessed by a Police car.

The Audi could have waited for the Police car to have left the motorway and taken his / her chances on speeding up as most of us of us do at times.:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom