Rear Facing Speed Cameras in Police Cars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd suggest 'entrapment' could be an interesting defence.

The driver of the Audi simply claims he didn't look at his speedometer as he was following a police car that was not displaying it's emergency lights and expected the police car to be travelling at an appropriate legal speed and was merely following him.

Police officers have to adhere to the same set of laws, rules and regulations that we do unless they are attending an emergency - even then they can still be charged for breaching certain regulations.

Saying that, the Audi driver was bloody stupid.

The driver of the Audi simply claims he didn't look at his speedometer as he was following a police car that was not displaying it's emergency lights and expected the police car to be travelling at an appropriate legal speed and was merely following him.

I would think that may led to a charge of driving without due care and attention, as well as speeding.

This example though is very simple, the Audi driver committed an offence under the current regulations and it was witnessed by a Police car.

But so too did the police car. I would go to court and request both of 'us' get the same penalty.

However, we are speculating. If I were to do this same thing, I would bloody well ensure nothing is wrong with my car and driving first - lights, tyre pressures, dirt on number plates, distance between cars, indicating, etc etc. Who knows what the Q7 was stopped for.

But so too did the police car. I would go to court and request both of 'us' get the same penalty.

However, we are speculating. If I were to do this same thing, I would bloody well ensure nothing is wrong with my car and driving first - lights, tyre pressures, dirt on number plates, distance between cars, indicating, etc etc. Who knows what the Q7 was stopped for.

Agreed, we are speculating, the Police may have had a valid reason to increase speed and those reasons then may have changed causing it to revert back to the NSL.

Either way, using the excuse "I broke the law because I observed someone else doing so" is no defence at all regardless of the guilt or otherwise of the other party

I'd suggest 'entrapment' could be an interesting defence.

Police officers have to adhere to the same set of laws, rules and regulations that we do unless they are attending an emergency - even then they can still be charged for breaching certain regulations.

Saying that, the Audi driver was bloody stupid.

Not knowing your speed and just doing what another driver did probably wouldn't sound great in front of a judge!

I have paced a police car in similar circumstances on a Welsh dualcarriegeway.

It slowed as we approached a 50 limit and I ended up next to it. I crept passed.

He took exception and pulled me.

We had a difference of opinion on how fast I was going, but my opinion (and words) were "I'm not going to argue with you".

He did ask me why I felt that it was a good idea to overtake a marked police car at any speed above the speed limit. I agreed that it was not my best idea.

I was given a producer, which being a company car was most inconvenient.

I'm wary when overtaking police cars now.

When young, a Friend of mine was pulled for overtaking a Police car at 72mph on the M1.

Golden rule on a motorway and this is from two traffic cops, NEVER OVERTAKE unless the police car is on patrol and doing 65mph in lane 1. If they slow down or speed up in any other lane it is done for a reason and you can bet someone will be getting a tug :thumb:

The police do not need to display blue lights if they need to exceed the speed limit.

The law allows them to exceed the speed limit. It doesn't allow 'non-police' vehicles to do the same.

The d**khead in the Q7 deserves to be penalised.

Silly comments like 'entrapment' are pure speculation, as are some other comments, and as such have no place in a thread of this nature.

The police do not need to display blue lights if they need to exceed the speed limit.

The law allows them to exceed the speed limit. It doesn't allow 'non-police' vehicles to do the same.

Silly comments like 'entrapment' are pure speculation, as are some other comments, and as such have no place in a thread of this nature.

I wish there were an option to dislike comments on this forum. Why only 'thank' and 'like'?

I wish there were an option to dislike comments on this forum. Why only 'thank' and 'like'?

I think you have answered your own question:doh:

This thread is a about a very specific example of stupidity. Just because you do not agree with a law or a regulation does not mean that people should not be prosecuted for breaking it. If you believe a law is unfair then follow the democratic process, petition your MP, start a movement or pressure group and follow due process to get a law changed. If not then why whinge about "entrapment" etc?

If you choose to exceed the speed limit then there is a risk you will be caught and pay the consequences, make your choice and deal with what happens but stop bleating on and coming up with pointless reasons why it is "unfair"

Last edited:

Why would you want to dislike a sensible, factual comment.

How can a car accelerating away from you be called entrapment?

Depending for what purpose the Police vehicle is being used for but it is best practice to do so.

The law allows them to exceed the speed limit.

Yes but they are not exempt.

I know may a Traffic Officer who have been caught speeding whilst on duty driving a Traffic car due to GATSO.

Most pay the FPT and accept the 3 points.

The others have a valid reason which is traceable.

It doesn't allow 'non-police' vehicles to do the same.

Are you referring to members of the public ?

All vehicles owned by the now defunct Police Authority are classed as Police Vehicles.

Having read through the thread I concur that he does deserve to be pulled and spoken to.

As to what course of action was taken we can only speculate.

As to the actions of the Police Vehicle we can only speculate yet again BUT as i've said they are not exempt from the speed limit. Public perception and setting a good example should be the norm but as some have already pointed out it is not always the case and in such circumstances I would question their actions prior to being pulled. Most traffic cars will have video evidence which can work in your favour in certain circumstances.

Silly comments like 'entrapment' are pure speculation, as are some other comments, and as such have no place in a thread of this nature.[/QUOTE]

I don't fully agree with you on this point but i've gone on for far too long already.

So ^^^^that's my lot i'm afraid.:thumb:

Sadly there isn't, so you'll have to fall back on your command of the English language.

This reminds me of a 'speed awareness' course I attended after being caught speeding. Yes (shock horror!) I exceeded the speed limit and got caught doing it. Fair cop gov. I got offered the course which I gladly accepted as it meant I would not be getting points on my licence. I attended the course and was quite shocked at how many reasonably intelligent people there actually had the mind set that they were a victim. I mentioned everyone in the room barring the instructor is there because they were caught in some way or another committing a crime. Speeding is a criminal offence I got caught and so face the consequences. What is it that some people seem to struggle to understand about this??

What is it that some people seem to struggle to understand about this??

It's not that there's a lack of understanding, it's just all the other factors are not taken into account when one is above the likes of a speed limit set in the 60's, fifty years later. And that's just one aspect. Personally, I'd feel somewhat victimised for getting done for doing 81mph on a motorway in ideal conditions, hello M1 J15A.

I understand what your saying there and I agree. Hence why I was doing 80mph on the m40 to earn my slap on the wrist, but lobbying for a review of the law and facing up to the fact you've broken the law are two completely seperate things. Some people seem to try to use one as an excuse for the other.
My point was it surprised me how many people felt persecuted at being made to pay for a crime they knew damn well they had commited. One woman even said 'it's disgusting, we're being treated like criminals!' Much to the delight of the instructor (a retired police officer) who, after controlling his laughter, replied with 'yes my dear, that is because you are!'
A little harsh maybe, but I could see his point

I think you have answered your own question:doh:

This thread is a about a very specific example of stupidity. Just because you do not agree with a law or a regulation does not mean that people should not be prosecuted for breaking it. If you believe a law is unfair then follow the democratic process, petition your MP, start a movement or pressure group and follow due process to get a law changed. If not then why whinge about "entrapment" etc?

If you choose to exceed the speed limit then there is a risk you will be caught and pay the consequences, make your choice and deal with what happens but stop bleating on and coming up with pointless reasons why it is "unfair"

I was talking about 'dislike' option on the forum. Do you just enjoy lecturing all the time?

Last edited:
Why would you want to dislike a sensible, factual comment.

How can a car accelerating away from you be called entrapment?

Same reason I may want to like or thank a comment. It's opinion. What's your second paragraph got to do with it??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom