Rear fog lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

area51

Car
A160 Avantgarde
In common with other Mercedes, my A160 only has a rear fog lamp on the driver's side.

I've been toying with the possibility of connecting up the passenger's side fog lamp, but I'm not sure if this is a good idea?:dk:

In common with other Mercedes and most other cars in the UK, my A160 only has a rear fog lamp on the driver's side.

I've been toying with the possibility of connecting up the passenger's side fog lamp, but I'm not sure if this is a good idea?:dk:

Fixed that for you. There is a reason.

I have seen other makes of car with two rear fog lamps, but message received and understood, another silly idea from yours truly...

IIRC the law was changed at some time, so it's only older cars (like my 968) that have twin rear fogs, younger cars only have one. Not 100% sure on this, or when the change took effect.

Personally, I think it's daft to only have one - not only do 2 improve visibility when conditions are bad (providing people remember to turn them off, which often they don't!!) but also it means you're OK when you take the car to Europe!

I wired up the second foglights on my Saab, but the general feeling on the Saab forum was that it could be mistaken for brake lights, and therefore shouldn't be done.

Have to say I didn't agree, if the driver behind mistook steady foglights, only on when visibility is bad, for brake lights coming on, then he's too close and I'd be glad he was braking!

From Wikipedia:

'Proponents of twin rear fog lamps say two lamps provide vehicle distance information not available from a single lamp.

Proponents of the single rear fog lamp say dual rear fog lamps closely mimic the appearance of illuminated stop lamps (which are mandatorily installed in pairs), reducing the conspicuity of the stop lamps' message when the rear fogs are activated.

To provide some safeguard against rear fog lamps being confused with stop lamps, UN Regulation 48 requires a separation of at least 10 cm between the closest illuminated edges of any stop lamp and any rear fog lamp.'

The reason there is only one rear foglight is that the brightness of the foglight can 'mask' the brakelight coming in on that side.
Just having one means the other brakelight can be seen clearly.

Anyone remember the rear foglights on an SD1?

Two foglights certainly balances up the rear end, but I don't know how the bulb failure would cope.

Anyone remember the rear foglights on an SD1?

Sorry no, what was special about them? From that era, I had a Fiesta Supersport that I fitted a second fog light to, although they were mounted under the bumper and in no danger of being mistaken for brake lights..

Single foglamps are used as a cost saving measure, some manufacturers still fit pairs for safety.

Dieselman said:
Single foglamps are used as a cost saving measure, some manufacturers still fit pairs for safety.
Surely it'll save fuel as well ?

Only if the rear seats are folded flat to reduce the centre of gravity

In common with other Mercedes, my A160 only has a rear fog lamp on the driver's side.

It's not. There's no need for two rear fog lights.

Actually, there's very little need for one rear fog light.

area51 said:
Sorry no, what was special about them? From that era, I had a Fiesta Supersport that I fitted a second fog light to, although they were mounted under the bumper and in no danger of being mistaken for brake lights..

They had a pair of large rear foglamps (still 21w) but they looked as bright as spotlamps. Could be seen a mile off but they did tend to swamp the brake lights.

Have to say I don't agree - having driven in awful rain/spray conditions on the M1 and M25 over the last couple of months. They are certainly more use than the current trend for using front foglights in all weathers, but that's another argument, and I dont mean DRLs, which turn themselves off when headlights come on.

But see my sig........

Have to say I don't agree - having driven in awful rain/spray conditions on the M1 and M25 over the last couple of months. They are certainly more use than the current trend for using front foglights in all weathers,

Never put your rear fog lamp on in rain or spray conditions, it's really bad for following drivers, hence it's illegal.

Fog or mist or rain... I just switch my rear fog light on during day time when I can see drivers ahead of me using theirs and their cars seem much easier to spot than those who don't have them on.... when it works for me, it will work for those behind me.

Fog or mist or rain... I just switch my rear fog light on during day time when I can see drivers ahead of me using theirs and their cars seem much easier to spot than those who don't have them on.... when it works for me, it will work for those behind me.

It dazzles following drivers.

There have been occasions when I would have dearly loved to have one fog light on my bicycle, but I guess that's of little relevance here.

Some of the comments on here regarding (mis)use of fog lamps in rain/mist etc are rather concerning..

My car, W202 1997 (UK Car) has two rear fog lights, factory fitted, one of thee fog lights has a double filament bulb.

You could take a second look at the actual fog lamp bulb on the left side to see if it’s a double filament bulb.

Dec

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom