rear main seal, M113

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris-durham

Car
2005 CLS55 AMG
hello all, ive noticed an accumulation of engine oil around the bottom of the bellhousing on the cls55, doesnt seem to be coming from top of engine, when i removed the black blanking plate on the bottom of the bellhousing, there was some engine oil in there too.

At this point, im considering its the dreaded rear main oil seal.

I gather its a 8.5 hour job at a garage. looks outside the scope of DIY on the drive...

Has anyone had this replaced on a 55k? if so, whats realistic repair cost. and anything else i could maybe check to help narrow the issue down?

Thanks

My dealership noted the same on my CLS55, they said not to worry until it started dripping!

Are you sure it's not the gearbox oil?

If it's the rear engine seal, I'd drop the gearbox. Not the easiest of jobs but doable on the axle stands with a gearbox jack. Alternatively, hire a ramp if you're confident you can do it yourself.

Last edited:
yeah defo not gearbox oil, its now nice and light since i done the oil change :)

Chris seriously i wouldnt worry about it until it gets bad, which it may or may not do.

They all do it, its quite common on the m113k, I've a small weep but unsure if its coming from the Rear of the rocker and working its way down or The Rear main, Im not using measurable amount of oil so not worried atm.

Yeah Gearbox off, change the seal let it cure over night then the box back on.

Is this the rear crankshaft seal we are talking about here?
If it is, my Indy changed it out in 4.6 hours and the seal was 25 quid (+ VAT)
Also a CLS55 BTW...

had the rear main done on mine a few years ago, about 3 hours labour plus parts from a good indie. had replaced the plate and all the bolts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom