Rear number plate light - + ESP/BAS warning light help?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bertie

Car
'03 270 CLK CDI
The O/S rear license plate light on my 2003 CLK 270 CDi has stopped working - the warning light on dash board comes on as expected. BUT... I have tried a new bulb- still doesn't work! Tested the fitting and no power/volts going to it! Stripped boot lid carpet to access fitting and tested plug/connector - no power... tried to see any other joint problems further back in the wiring (in boot) but impossible to track any further back.
Wondered if it had its own fuse but of course it hasn't, the chart in fuse box tells me tht it is 'electronic'... what do I do now? Anyone got any ideas? It was working fine until I decided to take out the no.plate lights plastic covers to clean them!! The only other thing done at the same time was renew the third brake light with genuing MB part.... I can't imagine this did anything though as it was so easy to replace.
If it needs a new 'electronic (fuse??) where do I find this... I'm kinda reluctant to incur a £100 bill simply to repair the no-plate light??
Any-one any ideas? I'd love to think this is a simple fix!

This real fault joins the intermittent BAS/ESP warning that I still haven't been able to fix!! If its 'corrosion on the control module' (where do I find that please?):eek:

Thanks to ANYONE who might be able to help with this .....

Of no help at all, but I've had/got a similar problem with my W211. Warning light comes on telling me that my O/S number plate bulb has failed. Sure enough, the bulb isn't on. I removed the bulb, tested it on a 12V supply, it worked fine so I refitted it and everything worked. A couple of days later, same fault, removed bulb, tested the connection, no volts!, but fitted a new bulb anyway and everything works – well it has for 4 days.

At the same time, the rear wiper doesn't self-park on wash-wipe and runs continuously on intermittent when it's raining. The dealer can't find the fault with the wiper (I guess because everything has dried out by the time they look at it) and has said the next action would be to replace the motor. I'm not convinced, especially as I will be the one paying for it.

The O/S rear license plate light on my 2003 CLK 270 CDi has stopped working - the warning light on dash board comes on as expected. BUT... I have tried a new bulb- still doesn't work! Tested the fitting and no power/volts going to it! Stripped boot lid carpet to access fitting and tested plug/connector - no power... tried to see any other joint problems further back in the wiring (in boot) but impossible to track any further back.
Wondered if it had its own fuse but of course it hasn't, the chart in fuse box tells me tht it is 'electronic'... what do I do now? Anyone got any ideas? It was working fine until I decided to take out the no.plate lights plastic covers to clean them!! The only other thing done at the same time was renew the third brake light with genuing MB part.... I can't imagine this did anything though as it was so easy to replace.
If it needs a new 'electronic (fuse??) where do I find this... I'm kinda reluctant to incur a £100 bill simply to repair the no-plate light??
Any-one any ideas? I'd love to think this is a simple fix!

This real fault joins the intermittent BAS/ESP warning that I still haven't been able to fix!! If its 'corrosion on the control module' (where do I find that please?):eek:

Thanks to ANYONE who might be able to help with this .....
hi

did you disconnect battery?

i had my bas/esp come on all i did is turn stering wheel ful left and then right all lights went ,some one on this forum advise me on this

It must be the time of year.....

My left-hand plate light failed, so I replaced it and still nothing except the cluster warning.

Ho hum....

Thanks jtr and umedc!! really appreciate your input ..... after a string of Alfa's I bought this CLK in November - [Wow. I have a Merc!!]
All I've had is minor irritations like these warning lights etc! Never one electrical glitch with any Alfa (yet they are apparently renowned for it!) Re BAS /ESP warning: the dealer has replaced the battery for me done all the clearing needed - I drive off thinking its done, but STILL the warning comes on intermittently! SO irritating! Another thread suggests corrosion on the control module terminals ha! If only I knew where the control module was? Any ideas?

Re the number plate light - its bizarre! It was working fine until I moved, cleaned and replaced the plastic cover - this MUST be a coincidence though because as I say, no power to the fitting - and yet the other one is working!! presume the wiring must go back to some clever electronic thingy so that the dash warning knows which side is out.......!!! Personally, I could live without such warnings if it meant that when the light goes out, you just KNOW that all you have to do is replace the bulb!! The only thing I did at the same time was to replace the third (oblong) brake light....... I confess that I didn't disconnect the battery for this as it was such an easy fix by pulling off the plug connector and refitting...........

HELP?

...... and thanks Mr E.... as you say, must be time of year, together we can solve this one (haha)!

Intermittent BAS/ESP warnings can be caused by a faulty brake light switch, I believe. They are only a few quid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom