Rear number plate retention - corrosion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Surf or fight

Car
C63
AA29B9D0-519F-4E27-A227-5D7C44BFF581.jpeg A heads up to anyone who has aluminium style threaded screw receivers behind the rear number plate.
I noticed corrosion starting - might be due to differing metals or damaged paint.
Anyway - Mercedes removed the receivers repaired it and I now have a totally smooth boot and a guarantee that corrosion won’t return.

View attachment 90530 A heads up to anyone who has aluminium style threaded screw receivers behind the rear number plate.
I noticed corrosion starting - might be due to differing metals or damaged paint.
Anyway - Mercedes removed the receivers repaired it and I now have a totally smooth boot and a guarantee that corrosion won’t return.
Lucky chap. Think mines too old now to get anything from them. Lol

I took my plates off last week as I had put them on retention and I noticed the same issue, in fact one of the screw receivers had broken away.

I gotaround this thorny problem by ditching the screws and using double sided foam mounting tape. Be aware after several years you will need to use a screwdriver to separate the plate from the bumper or panel - strangely the foam between the glue backing is the weak point and I used xylene paint thinners to clean up the plates. I suffered from this corrosion of plate screws on both the w202 and s124.

I found this on my car too. I cleaned it up and used Dinitrol RC9 then painted the area. I occasionally remove the 'plate to check. S211.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom