Rear Screen Amplifier

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amb1947

Car
C220 Coupe
:( I recently took my 2006 C220 Coupe into a Soapy Joe's Car wash and they managed to spray water on the inside of the rear tailgate. The consequence was that the RF central locking and the car radio no longer operate. I took the car to Mercedes and they said the Rear Screen Amplifier was damaged, the sting in the tale is that it would cost approaching £1000 to have them repair it. The part new itself is expensive and the tailgate window has to come out and replaced. Apparently this is a common occurrence in the USA when shading is in expertly sprayed on the inside of the back screen? Help please! there must be an better solution.

You need the antenna amp (correct one for your car, they vary around the world), some extra seals and then the window out and in again (which you don't have to get Mercedes to do, you could get a local windscreen company to do. Yes it is expensive.

Chris is selling for a good price, about £100 less than dealer

R

Chris,

Many thanks and yes please I will have it.

How do I contact you?

Regards,

Arthur Ambrose

Dont forget the seal, and possibly the second antenna amp (which depends on what options you have in the car, but seems to be there with COMAND or TV etc)

I have checked the part number of the amp Chris is showing, and that is for pre MY2009 cars (and yours is an 06) so I think that is good
- Really could do with your VIN number to be absolutely sure of the part number though.

R

Richard,

I removed part of the rear screen interior surround and the part number appears to be A203 870 16 89. It looks like two pieces connected across the middle with wiring running away on both sides. The VIM number of my car is WDB2037082A930807 (according to the V5C).

Regards,

Arthur Ambrose

I had the same problem with a 320 C class coupe 2005. A replacement from Mercedes cost about £200, a bit fiddly as you have to take the tailgate window trim off, but never had to remove the rear screen.
Good luck with it.

I had the same problem with a 320 C class coupe 2005. A replacement from Mercedes cost about £200, a bit fiddly as you have to take the tailgate window trim off, but never had to remove the rear screen.
Good luck with it.

Tanuie,

Fiddly I can do if it saves removing the window which I can't do. Can you tell me how you did it please?

Regards,

Arthur

Hi Arthur, The amp is at the top of the rear screen, I removed the trim on the top and left hand side, there are two parts to the amp and it is connected to the left hand side of the tailgate. If I remember it was stuck on to the glass, it will come off but it is a bit of a PITA.
Hope this helps.
Terry.

Dear All,

Many thanks for the info and encouragement which has meant I sourced a rear screen amplifier from a breakers and fitted it, problem solved!

Thanks again

Arthur Ambrose

Good to hear your problem is sorted Arthur - just a shame that mine was not quite right! I'll have to bump my ad again!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom