Rear seat will not fold C class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Petrol Pete

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon
Hi
I am repeating my request for someone out there to please take a few photos and post them for me.

2006 C class estate W203.

I can not fold the rear seat down (the 40% driver side , RHD) the catch pulls up smoothly and it fells as if it is pulling the cable taught but the latch will not budge. I have kicked the cr*p out of it from inside the boot (as suggested on this forum) but it is still stuck fast.

I need a few clear photos of the actual latch mechanism in the seat back and one of the pin/bracket on the body of the car so I can plan my next move.

I had originally made this request under 'interior' on this forum and had zero answers. hopefully posting it in 'general' we illicit a better response.

Thanks in advance. :)

Pete

Is this on your C55?

If yes (I have a 2004 C55 Wagon). Try lifting the lower seat cushion first. Get your hand up under there and see if anything has dropped into the floor between the backrest and the floor pan. Make sure that the seatbelt is not caught. Then get a mate to hold up the latch while you lie on your back and give it a hefty two footed kick.

Pete

Is this on your C55?

If yes (I have a 2004 C55 Wagon). Try lifting the lower seat cushion first. Get your hand up under there and see if anything has dropped into the floor between the backrest and the floor pan. Make sure that the seatbelt is not caught. Then get a mate to hold up the latch while you lie on your back and give it a hefty two footed kick.
It is a C55 AMG and I have already tried what you have suggested.., without any joy.

You want to know the real irony of this situation ...?

I am a self employed engineering contractor and I am currently on a contract for a major company that manufactures.....car seats !!

Over 600 sets of the bloody things a DAY !..I am surrounded by damn car seats each and every day of my life and I can't even fold down the back seat of my own car...AAArgh !!

Fear not, I have got some photos of the offending latch and will be attacking it soon.

Thanks for the reply

This any help ?

Rear folding backrest for Mercedes-Benz C 55 AMG parts catalog

Oh , I'd imagine that the mechanism on the other side of the seat will be a mirror image of the one that is stuck - you can examine the workings of the one that does fold and see if you can figure what might be sticking .

With the base cushions lifted , you might also be able to unbolt the bottom of the backrest where it hinges from the floor - that may or may not help ?

It's been a while since I had it , but I seem to recall that on my C270 estate ( S203 ) there was some sort of interlock with the back door so that the seat couldn't fold without the door being open ...

Last edited:
This any help ?

Rear folding backrest for Mercedes-Benz C 55 AMG parts catalog

Oh , I'd imagine that the mechanism on the other side of the seat will be a mirror image of the one that is stuck - you can examine the workings of the one that does fold and see if you can figure what might be sticking .

With the base cushions lifted , you might also be able to unbolt the bottom of the backrest where it hinges from the floor - that may or may not help ?

It's been a while since I had it , but I seem to recall that on my C270 estate ( S203 ) there was some sort of interlock with the back door so that the seat couldn't fold without the door being open ...
Thanks for the info.

The seat on the other side IS a mirror image , but because of the design the 40% has to be folded first to remove the parcel shelf before the 60% can be folded.

I have heard that some MB's have a 'rear door open first' interlock . But mine is not one of them.

Thanks again for the diagrams. This is a work in progress !

fixed

Fixed , and it was not a job for the feint hearted :eek:. Hitting and kicking it would never have worked :fail.

Too much went on for me to list it now, but if you genuinely have this problem PM me.

.................. I would like to know what you did to unjam mine ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom