Rear shockers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sean2e0saf

Car
C220 w204
A good recommendation for rear shockers please

Monroe
Sachs
Bilstein

Or genuine merc

Thanks

What makes you think i will have adaptive dampers..?

is there a way i can find this out..?

thanks

All W204 Mercedes have "adaptive damping" in they have inertially valved dampers that self-adjust with road and driving conditions. People reading the literature often infer---- wrongly ---- that this amounts to a full blown electronically controlled adjustable damping system --- it doesn't! This is further confused by the optional extra cost Dynamic Handling package on the Sport models ---which does. The full electronically controlled dampers can be identified by their electrical connections aand a visible piston on the side. Unfortunately the standard inertial adjusted dampers look pretty much like normal dampers.

Fitted Sachs to a w204 2011 last year, Sachs supply a lot of car manufacturers.

Sachs will be the closest to factory ride. The softest Bilsteins would be a bit harder.

Are you doing anything special with this car that would mean getting shocks other than OEM?

Why the confusion guys? If OEM have done the job up to now why would you try anything else...unless they are more expensive?

I've just bout a pair of Monroe shocks for the rear of my ML, wanted to go for Sachs, but they were FOUR Times the price.

The Monroes have a 2 year Guarantee, so we shall see...

Are you doing anything special with this car that would mean getting shocks other than OEM?

Why the confusion guys? If OEM have done the job up to now why would you try anything else...unless they are more expensive?

For the price of my four Bilstein shocks I couldn't buy 2 OE ones. OEM (Sachs, in my case), were even cheaper than the Bilsteins.

Soooooo if i was to replace like for like with adaptive dampers whats the costs.. and i assume its a dealer only affair

Adaptive dampers sound like a good idea in marketing terms but I remain unconvinced that they are really an improvement. The internal mechanism can make them unreliable as I've had one fail and while they seem to work well enough at higher road speeds, at lower speeds the ride seems jiggly. It wouldn't surprise me if quality conventional dampers were as good or better.

Bilstein call their equivalent intertial valved dampers DAMPMATIC if that's of interest. This is not a plug for this type of shock absorber its merely what Merc fitted from factory for consideration. :dk:

here is my vin WDD2040082A033171

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom