Rear sub frame replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidtee

Car
Mercedes C Class
Just took my 11 yr old C Class to my local Merc dealer for airbag replacement, both drivers and passengers, after the safety call back. Turns out the rear sub frame needs replacing and Merc will do it for no charge! I asked is this a safety issue and was told no. I have to drive tomorrow but I'm certainly not going far in the next few weeks. Anybody know what's going on?

Just took my 11 yr old C Class to my local Merc dealer for airbag replacement, both drivers and passengers, after the safety call back. Turns out the rear sub frame needs replacing and Merc will do it for no charge! I asked is this a safety issue and was told no. I have to drive tomorrow but I'm certainly not going far in the next few weeks. Anybody know what's going on?
Try using the search facility on here for more information . It's a well known issue on C Class and some other models.

For free that is good news.

Good news Indeed.

The interesting thing is that they looked at the sub frame in the first place. I doubt a car needs to go on a lift to replace airbags. Could be a sign that MB are beginning to take this seriously. I have to book mine in for the air bag recall soon but it will be the first time it's been seen by MB for 9 years so I will be very surprised to get the same response.

Well the rear sub frame is being changed by MB free but it is patchy some like you have no trouble others are having to fight ,it would seem that the rear sub frame for many C class cars have had the sub frame made out of poor materials,but not all as I know two cars that have been inspected and there is no rot at all.

Good news Indeed.

The interesting thing is that they looked at the sub frame in the first place. I doubt a car needs to go on a lift to replace airbags. Could be a sign that MB are beginning to take this seriously. I have to book mine in for the air bag recall soon but it will be the first time it's been seen by MB for 9 years so I will be very surprised to get the same response.
What’s this air bag recall buddy , I’ve got a 2009 CLK , but I’ve not heard anything

Thanks all, interesting. Re the call back, I got a letter from MB a couple of weeks ago saying there was a potential fault with the air bags and they would replace both FOC. Whilst at it they would also carry out a safety check and that's how the corrosion in the sub frame showed up, or so they say. Anyway thanks again for replies.

Hello and welcome . Yes we know what is going on. It is becoming more and more common that MB are realising that many W204 C class cars have been fitted with a 'rust prone' rear sub frame that (might) become the subject of a re call if they don't nip it in the bud.

You asked if it is a 'safety issue' and they said 'no' ...they are lying . W204 subframes are collapsing and rotting from within all over the place and MB are (quietly) replacing them FOC .

As DSM says in post #3 . Search on here and online and you will see how common this is becoming the more W204's age.

What’s this air bag recall buddy , I’ve got a 2009 CLK , but I’ve not heard anything

The airbag replacement is a big recall worldwide. You would have had a letter or will get a letter if affected.

You can also check here although I suspect that it will only say the vehicle has a recall after the the letter has been sent or is imminent. I say that because I checked sometime back and no recall was listed but when I check now having received the letter it does say I have a recall. https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

The airbag replacement is a big recall worldwide. You would have had a letter or will get a letter if affected.

You can also check here although I suspect that it will only say the vehicle has a recall after the the letter has been sent or is imminent. I say that because I checked sometime back and no recall was listed but when I check now having received the letter it does say I have a recall. https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
Thanks buddy , just checked on the link , no recall yet so we’ll see .

Don't forget the sunroof (if you have one) safety recall . I got the letter and my car is 15 years old. It's across various models with approximately 750K cars affected.

Did they explain the extent of the problem? A rotten subframe can be a serious safety issue. They rot from the inside out and can be hard to assess. Our R171 was deemed too dangerous to drive (MB replaced free of charge) and the Indie that looks after it had come across several that had let go causing the rear end to collapse. I would be very wary unless you can be sure just how severe it is.

Did they explain the extent of the problem? A rotten subframe can be a serious safety issue. They rot from the inside out and can be hard to assess. Our R171 was deemed too dangerous to drive (MB replaced free of charge) and the Indie that looks after it had come across several that had let go causing the rear end to collapse. I would be very wary unless you can be sure just how severe it is.
was the subframe replaced by the Indie with free issue material and Merc book time paid, or is it Merc only?

In which case, no doubt that's NOx, gear change and mpg ruining dieselgate sneaky sodtware update time.

In fact, I think I'd rather get free issue material and pay the indie myself for their time, rather than go to Merc.

Good news Indeed.

They generally do a 'health check' as a matter of course, no matter what the car is in for.

Ernie

MB supplied a subfrane and paid an Independent to fit the new subfrane on my friends E Class Coupe.

Good news Indeed.

They seem to be doing health checks for a while now with existing recalls and are slowly making their way through. Going by what I see in the c class groups

Being spotted and approved on free isolated health checks too

was the subframe replaced by the Indie with free issue material and Merc book time paid, or is it Merc only?

In which case, no doubt that's NOx, gear change and mpg ruining dieselgate sneaky sodtware update time.

In fact, I think I'd rather get free issue material and pay the indie myself for their time, rather than go to Merc.
It was taken to our local MB dealer on the back of a truck. It then took 4 weeks for MB to approve the repairs. I suspect this was because its fairly elderly (2005) but only 50,000 miles. They kept asking the dealer for more info, more pictures etc. I am pretty sure they were looking for a get out clause but couldn't find one. We had an E-class coupe 220d as loan car whilst this went on. Took 6 weeks in total. I have since heard of other cases where the MB Indie was authorised to do the repairs. The part is approximately £800 + VAT and roughly 7 hours to do the work.

My 2008 c220 goes in for them to look at in 2 weeks. Just had a transmission service at an indie and they pointed out the subframe and took the photos. I emailed my local dealer (Exeter) and they told me to bring it in. Cant promise to do it for free and said they have done some in the past but will take more photos and send them off to HQ for yes or no. Someone I know is having his inspected at the same dealer Monday 27th. I'm waiting to hear what they say. There is a LOT of people on Facebook groups that have had it done for free. Mine has just had the airbag recall done there. They sent me a walkaround video saying i needed a couple tyres but obviously didnt look underneath. Fingers crossed.

Attachments

• thumbnail_image2.jpg
    thumbnail_image2.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 31
  • thumbnail_image3 (1).jpg
    thumbnail_image3 (1).jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 31
Great that it’s free. My local MB dealership requested that I sign a disclaimer regarding the safety of the car due to the damaged subframe. It is unquestionably a safety issue (hence MBs apparent generosity in replacing such a substantial component). If you must drive the car, take it easy until the work is completed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom